Sedentary work

Options
My work is at a computer for up to 8 hours a day working from home. I sometimes have neck or back ache. Sitting is bad for us they say! so seriously considering purchasing a sit-stand desk. Has anyone tried this?

http://varidesk.co.nz/

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not that one, but I have a height adjustable desk at work, it is fantastic.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    As part of my job I perform ergonomic assessments and have recommended height adjustable (electric) desks for those with lower back issues.
    Those that have them have remarked that they have helped a lot.
    Of course I've also set up their work stations correctly to meet their individual needs too (monitor correct height and distance, keyboard at neutral position for wrists, etc.).
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Set a timer, get up and walk every hour. It works.
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Set a timer, get up and walk every hour. It works.

So simple. I like simple. Thank you Xavier. I will do this :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,933 Member
    Options
    3 of us in the office are doing the following now, and encouraging each other in the process ...

When we arrive at work in the morning, we take the stairs to our 5th floor office. When we come back from lunch, we take the stairs. And when we get up to use the toilet and get another cup of coffee, we also hike all the way down to the ground floor and back up again.

I got into this a little bit late ... the other 2 are up to 5 times a day, I'm at 4 but next week I hope to be up to 5 times a day too.
  • makemybodysing
    makemybodysing Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the setting a timer thing, but don't just go for a walk - stretch your arms and back as well.

Also, do make sure your setup is ergonomically correct. That will make a HUGE difference to how much stiffness you get. Most people don't have their desk set up correctly.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Oh I'd love a standing desk. I add in incidental exercise at work where ever possible. I take the stairs, I walk to speak with colleagues instead of emailing them, pace around my office when I'm on the phone etc.
  • jacmo24
    jacmo24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitbolt. You can add it to Chrome and maybe other browsers. It gives you little stretches / exercises to do every half an hour. It feels GREAT.
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would loovvee a height adjustable desk or actually just to stand during the day. I'm a psychotherapist and I feel like it causes my clients anxiety if they feel I am standing over them. So instead I sit-and have sacrificed my back instead. Just had two back surgeries this summer following 20 years of this sedentary job.
  • Jeff_01022014
    Jeff_01022014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    coco_bee wrote: »
    My work is at a computer for up to 8 hours a day working from home. I sometimes have neck or back ache. Sitting is bad for us they say! so seriously considering purchasing a sit-stand desk. Has anyone tried this?

http://varidesk.co.nz/

I have a pro plus 36 at work. It is quite good, but I do need to stand up more often. My goal is 1 hour a day.
  • ElleBelleLiptak
    ElleBelleLiptak Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In high school I worked at a Gallup call center and I would often stand at my desk to elviate the issue!! Try standing for 15-20 minutes every hour or so! At least that's what I did!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Be careful standing desk folks. Standing for long periods can have it's own negative affects, ask a waitress or nurse. Plantar Fasciitis or even the dreaded "cankles" :s

The key is NOT to sit for more than an hour at a time. Once you've sat for 60 minutes, muscle activity slows, calorie burning drops to ~1kcal/min. So make sure you're moving EHOH (every hour on the hour). Also, exercise "after work" does not undo all of the negative affects of sitting either. The extended sitting times must be broken up. Great VID on the subject.

Here is a example of what I do.
    -Polar Loop says, "it's time to move!"
    -I stand and make circles as many joints as possible (neck, wrists, elbow, shoulders, ankles, hips and sometimes knees) just move the joint about 10x in each direction.
    -Walk around my building. It's not that big, but it's maybe 75m.
    -Normally grab a coffee or potty stop along the way.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I had an adjustable desk at my last job and it was really helpful for me because I am naturally fidgety. I stand most of the night when we go out on weekends.

Switching between standing and sitting for me was really helpful.

If you are having neck and back pain you are probably also not sitting right:

The top of your monitor should be at eye level.
    Watch the shoulder slump, try to remind yourself to sit straight. Pull your shoulders up, back then down.
    Mindful sitting helps too, feet should be on the ground, back straight, tummy in.

Also being fidgety in the chair helps.

I don't like to walk around the building, but rather than IM or email people sometimes I just walk over and visit. That really helps a lot too.