5K Race T-Shirts...what to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've been saving all of mine for my "fat-kid" quilt. Once I'm not a fat kid anymore and can't wear the shirts, it will be a nice cozy reminder of where I've come from and how hard I had to work to get there.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I was initally going to say the quilt idea, but I guess you already got that =)

Some races allow you to opt out of the t-shirt and they instead donate $5 to the charity it benefits or something like that. Also, bystanders might like to have them if you see someone your size watching, you might just ask them if they would like it.

Finally, donating them to a local thrift store. The non-profit I work for owns a thrift store and they get in brand new (and used) 5k, Relay for Life, college events, etc. type t-shirts all the time and people buy them like crazy! You could save the t-shirts that represent a race you remember well and donate the rest.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get a picture of you at each race wearing the t-shirt then donate them.
    That way you keep the memory but not the clutter! It's also a great way to document the shape you are in for each race.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Turn them into grocery bags with some simple stitching...you could even line them with some kinda sturdy/leak-proof fabric. Or donate them to women's shelter/charity. Ooor see if you can opt out and donate to charities in place of getting a t-shirt!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I had to finally start donating mine!! :glasses:
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I had to finally start donating mine!! :glasses:
  • jbmonco
    jbmonco Posts: 1
    Options
    Here's an idea for what to do. Have them made into a Poster or Canvas Print to hang on your wall. Digiteeze photographs your shirts, medals, bibs, etc. and creates a piece of art to commemorate your achievement. See http://www.digiteeze.com; the nice thing is no items are altared since they are photographed so you get your shirts and bibs back for whatever else you want to do with them (donate, wear, quilt, etc.)
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    make a quilt!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I like the quilt idea. Sewing stretchy fabric can be a bit of a pain, but it's just a few simple zig zag type stitches on the sewing machine to chain the cut out squares together and you can usually find someone with a longarm machine to do the actual quilting.