I WILL get up early to exercise!

Options
Hola! So I'm posting this looking to create some accountability! Get my booty outta bed in the morning and go for a jog and do some yoga before I go to work. I've been trying to find the motivation for weeks and it hasn't happened. So tomorrow 5:30am I'll be there! I've said it and posted it, so it will happen!

Anybody have any good tips to get up and exercise instead of hitting snooze? Let me know- thanks!

Any friends need accountability buddies for morning exercise- add me!

Replies

• ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to get to wake up really early, but tried today and couldn't do it.
    I'm struggling but the morning is realistically the only time when I can exercise.
    I had my alarm set for 4:30 and woke up but then went back to sleep. I think the biggest thing that helps is going to bed super early so that you've had your normal amount of sleep by the time the alarm goes off. Also putting the alarm across the room. Once you've jumped out of bed to turn it off you are less likely to go back to bed afterwards.
    Good luck!!! :)
  • gardenbikefamily
    gardenbikefamily Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey I will get up early and jog too!
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    But your workout clothes right next to your bed. Have them in sight so you'll see them and can jump right into them without having to gather all your things. Have a water bottle ready as well to get hydrated before your run. That always helps me to wake up. Getting your food out the door is the hardest part. Once you're out there it's easy! Good luck and have a nice run!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Preparation is key (for me). I put my alarm clock on the other side of the room, My workout gear is next to it and my bag is packed and ready to go. I get some water, walk the pup (Not a euphemism I actually have a dog) and head to the gym. I'm VERY lucky though because I work right across from the gym and I have no excuse to not go there.
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Ok guys I got up early today. But I didn't go outside, but I did do yoga for a half hour and feel great! Tomorrow I am going to do your suggestions: go to bed earlier!, put my RUNNING clothes out in sight, and put my alarm across the room. Yay!
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just do it - set your clothes out, roll out of bed and get out there. about a minute into a warm up walk or even if you head straight to running, you wont regret it. I used to be an evening runner, like 8:30 pm - recently (as of last week) I started doing it in the morning and I think I prefer it. It is tough getting up early but it sets the mood for the entire day. Plus for me, Im more likely to stay on track eating healthy if I start my day off with a run!
  • juliaschulz510
    juliaschulz510 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there! For the last 2 months I've been getting up at 5am to go to the gym at 6 2-3 times a week. For me, the most important thing is getting enough sleep. You're not going to get up at 5 if you only had 5 hours sleep and even if you do manage. You will suffer during your workout, I personally tend to feel a bit sick if my body didn't get enough rest the night before. So I go to bed at 9 to get a good 8 hours of sleep.

Also what if find incredibly helpful is that my boyfriend and I go to the gym together. You're committed to each other to get up and go which almost gives you no choice but to just go. But I know most people don't have that but you could make a commitment to someone at work or a friend. Tell them the day before you are going to work out in the morning and ask them to ask you about it. That way you won't want to make excuses to someone else and explain why you didn't do it. Maybe someone might even be willing to join in? They don't necessarily have to do it with you. But just sharing with each other how your workout went is really motivating and makes you want to progress.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It's not what you asked, but:

I've had much more success when I decided that I didn't have to make myself get up early and go to the gym. I tend to be a night person and haven't been able to change that over decades of attempts. In the past I would get religion for a while, getting up early every morning and exercising. But inevitably a day would come where I wouldn't or couldn't get up - and when that happened my whole regimen would fall apart.

Instead, I've decided to work with my natural predilections. I work out over lunch or after work now, as time permits.
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to transition to morning workouts as well. I'm naturally more of a night owl, but I'm finding that if I don't get my workout done in the morning... it doesn't get done. I need to be up at the latest by 6:30 to make it to the gym by 7 to make it to work on time. I'm struggling, but i make it half the time -which is still progress.

I like the prep tips. I'll make sure everything is ready to go for me in the morning. And I think I'm going to set an alarm to remind myself to get to bed on time - this is my biggest challenge.

@yolohunter - Let me know if you want an accountability buddy for this.
  • yolohunter
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Just wanted to say I'm going on two weeks strong with doing 3 early morning workouts per week. Today was the first day that I woke up and just sprang up out of bed ready for my run- it felt amazing! I definitely agree it is a great way to start the day and I feel more positive because I start with accomplishing something for myself first thing in the morning. Also, I've noticed my stress level is WAY easier to maintain throughout the day when I exercise first thing.

It is the best feeling getting home from work late and relaxing! Normally, I'd have to desperately try to squeak out a workout at night when I'm exhausted, or just skip it and feel guilty and bummed. But when you already did it in the morning, you are good to go!!

Going to shoot for 4 days next week! Try to make this a habit!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I like this. I was supposed to get up early yesterday and try a 5:45A class, but when the alarm went off, I reset it and went back to bed. I have on my list of things to do this year, to try an early class, and I still need to do that. I'd like to get an earlier start than I do. I work 12 hour nights so my schedule is erratic and workout/class times very each day.

Great tips and suggestions.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its awesome that you are doing it, am afraid im just not a morning person, so dont think id ever be up to regular mornings. ood luck with the habit it makes things so much easier.
  • RoadtotheRAN
    RoadtotheRAN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm setting my alarm for 5.30, 5.45 to be up and taking the dog for a walk by 6am then back by 6.45 to shower and breakfast and then off to work
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    if you find that mornings are working for you, see if there is another time slot in your day. For me, I was home all summer (teacher) and there was no way in heck that I was getting up early to go to a 5 am workout class...Once school starts back, I will workout on my way home after work - and I'm going to try to get an evening exercise class per week -- in addition to the class that I take on Saturday mornings as well as my two training sessions per week.
  • metcastillon
    metcastillon Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What helps me is an alarm app on my phone. I have it set up so the music gradually gets louder, I am only allowed two snoozes, and then I have to do math to turn it off! Forcing my brain to think tends to really wake me up lol.
  • yolohunter
    Options
    That app sounds awesome...what is it called?
  • metcastillon
    metcastillon Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yolohunter wrote: »
    That app sounds awesome...what is it called?

It's called Alarm Clock Xtreme Free

I have the Galaxy s5, so I'm not sure if it's available on the iPhone (if that's what you have). I absolutely love it! And I can set the difficulty of the math problems, so if you wanted harder problems to wake you up, that's definitely an option. You can also edit the number of snoozes. I had it set to infinite, but found I was sleeping in waaaay too long, so now it's set to two :wink:
  • jbouton40
    jbouton40 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am at the gym by 430 am every day. I don't even use an alarm anymore. You can do it. Great way to start the day.
  • nailgirl70
    nailgirl70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am on mornings that I work (3-4 days a week) to get to the gym. I struggled a bit in the beginning and I still occasionally argue with myself...lol Some mornings were so rough it'd dawn on me that I made it to the gym when I realized the first minute on the treadmill had registered...yikes! :# The best feeling I have is when I've completed my work out and I am off to work. I find that I am energized and ready to hit the floor running. It really is a great way to start the day. I've tried going to the gym after work but I'm so drained from the day that it's hard to get through a decent work out. The best thing is determination, make it a goal to be up and out. Try focusing on how good you'll feel afterwards. Lay out your clothes, set your alarm and keep it moving...lol Good luck!