How To Meet Water Requirement/Goal

Options
Hey All,

I'm struggling drinking enough water each day. I really don't like it. I don't drink anything carbonated so I can't even switch it up by doing that. I typically don't like the flavored water additives either, it just tastes as if I'm drinking sugar water. If I do drink water it has to be really really cold. I also don't like drinking from water jugs/bottles because they're hard to clean and gross me out. What I typically drink is Gatorade and iced tea (unsweetened). Maybe I'm just picky and need to get over it but if anyone has any suggestions or tips, I'd really appreciate it!! :)

Thanks,
Steph

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You can get hydrated drinking Gatorade or tea, even fruit and veggies have water.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding fruit to water? Some lemon slices, strawberries or slice cucumber? Or herbs?

Maybe spend the money on a really nice water bottle. Something glass with a wide opening which makes it easy to clean. Get one which has insulation to keep it cold. You can also get ones with strainers in them to add fruit or tea bags. I love making chilled green tea - I just soak the tea bags in bottles of water.

I think this is something ultimately that you'll get over. I drink stacks of water and herbal tea because I don't like to waste calories on liquids, I'd rather eat more food!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have a 16 oz glass (2 servings) before I have coffee or breakfast. I do the same thing before I eat lunch. I don't particularly like it-- I just drink it, and get it over with.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention tea? You may like that.

Honestly getting water is the easiest for me. I get over half my water in plain water and then I use flavoured water for the rest.... I actually probably get almost twice as much water as I need to (ok not that much but still substantially more).

Find better ways to drink it. I find I drink more water if there is a straw. There are so many different types.

Fruit infused water is less boring as well.

Have water with you ALL the time. I have water at my desk at home and my desk at work. And I drink it because it is there. It's much easier that way.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    MFP's water recommendations are silly because there is absolutely no science that says 8 cups of water is necessary. Drink however much you want depending on what you are eating that day or how much you sweat.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/busting-the-8-glasses-a-day-myth/
    So where did the idea of eight glasses a day come from? Nobody really knows.
    The researchers argue that a healthy adult only needs to consume the amount of water they lose every day - about a quart-and-a-half, or four to six glasses.
  • hannibalholt89
    hannibalholt89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ha u basically weeded out all the ways that could help you, I'd say add fruit to ur water have it sit over night. The only one to get through this problem is to just keep drinking even if u don't want to eventually u will be craving water the more u drink, well tht works for me at least. Shouldn't be that hard to clean a water bottle if you get you a good bottle just gotta clean it daily doesn't take much. oh and you didn't say how much you are drinking? Some ppl think you have to drink a gallon daily, but the thing is you want to just be consistent with the amount you are drinking as long as it's the max you can take hope this helps
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me up my water intake is drinking herbal tea. Sometimes before bed, I'll have a HUGE mug of camomile tea (unsweetened).