Coconut oil to lose weight. Cholesterol problems?

Options
I am tempted to try it.
I plan to add it to my morning coffee instead of skim milk.
BUT - I have cholesterol problems.
My LDL is above 120, and my total is over 200.
I want to get those numbers down.
Coconut oil:
14 grams of fat tbsp - ok with eating fat
12 grams of saturated fat - won't that destroy my cholesterol numbers?

Replies

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also had high cholesterol which is on its way down now as my doc advised me, like any other saturated fat, to cut down on fats and sugars as much as I can and thats incl coconut oil.

what is the purpose of adding coconut oil to coffee?

I try not to take notice of all the hype associated with coconut oil or anything else they might rave on about.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

I like coconut oil. It is great for your skin as well.

It isn't magical though.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I got my mother to try following a Ketogenic Diet and she's been on it now for just shy of 1 year. When following a Keto Diet you eat healthy fats like coconut oil.

BEFORE the diet, mom:
    1. Was on medication for Type 2 Diabetes;
    2. Was on medication for high blood pressure;
    3. Was on medication for high cholesterol; and
    4. Was on a water pill (not sure why for this).

AFTER following the diet, mom:
    1. Was taken off ALL medications for Diabetes;
    2. Was taken off ALL medications for high blood pressure;
    3. Cholesterol medication has been reduced to only 1/2 pill per day and I'm pretty sure that by the end of 2015 her doctor will most likely eliminate this medication as well; and
    4. Was taken off the water pill too!

Did I mention that she eliminated somewhere between 50-60 pounds too?! lol

Her doctor is VERY happy with her. Each time mom goes in for a doctor appointment now, the doctor always asks her, "You're going to continue with the Ketogenic Diet, right?" Mom always answers yes.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ^Oh stop.

What is more likely? That your mother started exercising, living a healthier lifestyle, and eating better in general?

Or that a ketogenic diet, (i.e. more fats, less carbs) was the cure? If you cut tasty kakes, entemann's, little debbie, baskin robbins, hostess, and all of those other highly processed, sugary foods out of your diet, then of course you will be on a better nutritional path. That doesn't mean that a diet rich with fats and coconut oil makes you a healthier person, so don't correlate it as such.

Eat whole foods. Everything in moderation. Please don't contribute to the brainwashing. There is legit way too much of that around here.
  • pointkoala
    pointkoala Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I don't think coconut oil would be better. Why not put in some almond milk or something instead?
    Coconut oil is OK in moderation of course. And better than many other oils. But it's still an oil.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If you want to add tasty fat to your coffee, dip some pizza in it.
    Makes as much sense as adding oil to coffee.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I got my mother to try following a Ketogenic Diet and she's been on it now for just shy of 1 year. When following a Keto Diet you eat healthy fats like coconut oil.

BEFORE the diet, mom:
    1. Was on medication for Type 2 Diabetes;
    2. Was on medication for high blood pressure;
    3. Was on medication for high cholesterol; and
    4. Was on a water pill (not sure why for this).

AFTER following the diet, mom:
    1. Was taken off ALL medications for Diabetes;
    2. Was taken off ALL medications for high blood pressure;
    3. Cholesterol medication has been reduced to only 1/2 pill per day and I'm pretty sure that by the end of 2015 her doctor will most likely eliminate this medication as well; and
    4. Was taken off the water pill too!

Did I mention that she eliminated somewhere between 50-60 pounds too?! lol

Her doctor is VERY happy with her. Each time mom goes in for a doctor appointment now, the doctor always asks her, "You're going to continue with the Ketogenic Diet, right?" Mom always answers yes.

This is good to here.

Studies have shown that a low carb / high fat (particularly saturated fat) diet is good for your cholesterol markers.

- Lowers Triglycerides
    - Increases HDL
    - Increase LDL particle size

Additionally losing weight and exercise are also great ways to help.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to try it.
    Coconut oil:

What is your triglyceride count.

Its important to get you HDL to triglyceride ratio as low as possible.

Coconut oil is good, I use it sometimes, but I still prefer to cook with olive oil.

Still both are a much better choices than oils high in polyunsaturated fats like, sunflower oil!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    If you want to add tasty fat to your coffee, dip some pizza in it.
    Makes as much sense as adding oil to coffee.

This is hilarious! I dont "get" the bulletproof/fatty coffee thing at all. Dipping pizza in coffee. yes.
  • willawoo1
    willawoo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read the book Grain Brain last year. There is a history of Alzheimer's in my family, and the author's premise is that healthy fats like coconut oil are good for brain health. He also says slightly higher cholesterol is not a bad thing. So I did put a little coconut oil in my coffee the past year. And my cholesterol went up. Not sure if I will continue it....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you like the taste and have the extra calories, go for it. But weight loss, exercise and good genetics will have a much greater impact on cholesterol numbers than coconut oil ever will.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    For sure, substituting coconut oil for skim milk will NOT result in weight loss.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you like the taste and have the extra calories, go for it. But weight loss, exercise and good genetics will have a much greater impact on cholesterol numbers than coconut oil ever will.

This. Coconut oil isn't magical.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

This. Coconut oil isn't magical.

Are you sure?
    It has the face of a monkey!

7449459804_aa4fdf7008_b.jpg
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to try it.
    Coconut oil:

How will coconut oil help with weight loss? It has more calories than milk. Unless you mean coconut water?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil will not help with weight loss. As you've been told, a calorie deficit is what you need.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to try it.
    Coconut oil:

What is your triglyceride count.

Its important to get you HDL to triglyceride ratio as low as possible.

Coconut oil is good, I use it sometimes, but I still prefer to cook with olive oil.

Still both are a much better choices than oils high in polyunsaturated fats like, sunflower oil!

This has not clearly been determined at all. The highly publicized study that found no link between saturated fat and heart disease has been called "seriously misleading" and several researchers have called for it to be retracted. It's telling that not a single major health organization in the world changed its dietary recommendations due to this study. Just because a "sciency" story makes splashy headlines doesn't mean that its conclusions have gained wide acceptance.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2014/03/19/dietary-fat-and-heart-disease-study-is-seriously-misleading/

For every study saying saturated fats are OK, there's another that disagrees with it. There just isn't a clear picture at this moment. Wikipedia has a good summary here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat_and_cardiovascular_disease_controversy