I gained weight after starting exercising

Options
somebody help me please! I gained about 5 pounds after I decided to get starting on a exercise program. I workout 6 days a week for 1 and a half hours. and on top of that I am keeping my 1200 to 1600 calorie goal. What is happening with me? Never had problem with weight gain before...

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves. It's normal and it will subside. Keep on going.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This would happen to me and would always make me give up. This last time I just decided to ignore it and push through. I'm glad I did because eventually the water weight left. I had a nice whoosh.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not in this to lose weight, but to get fit. Don't worry, the water weight you've gained will whoosh away once your muscles get used to the exercise. Congrats!
  • lillyzamudio
    lillyzamudio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds and second weeks I lost 4!!!! keep going!!
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation. I'm up 5 pounds but have started exercising fairly vigorously. It will go back down (and hopefully then some) soon, don't stress over it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, and if I've had a particularly active day I can literally see the fluid build up in my legs and fingers and thus I end up weighing more on the scale.

Not everyone can see the actual fluid build up like I can, but either way strenuous and new exercise will cause it, and like the others say it will drop off soon enough.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot, and if I've had a particularly active day I can literally see the fluid build up in my legs and fingers and thus I end up weighing more on the scale.

Not everyone can see the actual fluid build up like I can, but either way strenuous and new exercise will cause it, and like the others say it will drop off soon enough.

^^This exactly!
  • mayalsayab
    mayalsayab Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :( This thing happened to me too.I am in the same weight all the time..with or without eating!doing insanity workout!without any improvement!
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I first stated jogging, my fingers would swell so much that I could hardly bend them. It was painful and SUCKED but I pushed through and after about a week it quit happening.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I recently had a similar gaining experience. I started going the gym and each week i gained something like half a pound, then around week 4 I lost about 4-5 lb. Hang in there. Give it a few weeks.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your muscles are retaining water to repair themselves. It's normal and it will subside. Keep on going.

I agree with this.
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Keep working out 6 days a week and eating 1200 calories. Sooner or later you will burn out. For that much work you are eating little to no food. Your body is sending you a signal. Listen to your body.