Not new, but chronic pain has changed my situation.

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
So I've been a member of MFP for years. Was big into HIIT, kickboxing, kettlebells, etc. Last year I fell in love with running, had begun racing, and BOOM. This May I was sidelined with pain in both calves. I've been through all sorts of doctors and tests and here we are heading towards the end of August with no end in sight and I'm still in pain. The doctor is still doing testing but he's mentioned Myofascial Pain Syndrome twice now and it is now looking like I might have to learn to live with this, which is not something I'm good at! I'm 35, and was enjoying my active lifestyle. As a result of the stress and emotions that I've felt from not being able to do what I enjoy, I turned to unhealthy eating habits and have put on some weight. I kept telling myself once I was running again I'd lose it all again. But that doesn't seem to be happening so...
I'm re-setting my goals and expectations. I plan to tighten up my logging and return to healthy food choices. I have joined a new gym that includes a pool so that I can get my cardio in without worrying about the impact. Instead of heaving lifting and high intensity cardio, I'm going to give yoga and pilates a try. (I'll still try to make room for the kettlebells, I can't let them go!). And I'm looking for friends who might have a similar situation, because there is no one in my life who understands how this feels. Maybe people who have experience with living with pain and how to cope and still enjoy exercise and LIFE?

Replies

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I completely understand. I sent you a private message.

It sucks, and I also got depressed and overate at first (that's actually why I'm on here -- getting rid of my injury weight). Once I learned my limits, I started adding new activities, so it's gotten better. I've been dealing with my issue for about 15 months and started being active again (though in limited ways) around April.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

@htimpaired I am losing weight at rate of about 3 pounds monthly on 2600 as a side effect of my pain management by diet goal. My muscle and joint inflammation a year ago had progressed to the point the doctors were going to start me on Enbrel injections. The side effects especially the cancer risk side effect scared me really bad so I started thinking back to my diet.

Coconut oil in some people seems to calm the inflammation some how. Some report cutting out sugar and grains in some people can calm the inflammation and reduce pain levels.

I started eating/drinking coconut oil Aug 2014 and was going to taper off carbs but would not stop eating them. 30 days before I was to start Enbrel injections on 7 Nov 2014 I went off most all carbs cold turkey (<50 grams daily) by cutting out food containing sugar and grain.

By 7 Nov 2014 doctor's appointment my pain level had fell from 7-8 to a level of 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. It ticked off the doctor when I passed on starting Enbrel injections. By March of 2015 my 40 year case of IBS was cured and I am losing 3 pounds a month on average eating a 2600 calorie very Low Carb High Fat diet.

The pain levels are still very low and slowly decreasing but in no way is pain a controlling factor in my life like before. I am under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years after being 250+ twice in the last 5 years.

My homemade diet plan of 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat is still working for me nearly a year later. It might be harmful for you since I do not your medical history, etc. If you are interested you can find 1000+ hours of reading by Googling the subject.

If one is addicted to carbs that is a road block I learned. The first two weeks off carbs were hellish then the cravings started to fade fast and after about 30 days total the carb cravings gave up.

Again I am not suggest you try to remove your pain the way I did. What I am suggesting if you are interested is to Google the subject and read the pro/con research that you find concerning pain management by diet.

Life controlling pain is something I understand after 40 years of it. Best of success at your recovery.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have tried googling diet recommendations for what I believe is going to end up being my diagnosis (MPS), and found very little other than "eat a healthy diet", as subjective as that is! I have thought about the carb thing, but I am very mixed on it. I think I can improve the quality of the carbs I eat, ie increasing the veggie intake, reducing the refined sugars and grains, trying to vary the grains I eat ie. farro, quinoa, bulgar, etc. Congrats for your success! I am definetely continuing on my own research.
  • lejoie
    lejoie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I feel you 100%. A few years ago, my calves started acting up in a way doctors still haven't even figured out. Whenever I would run, hike, or sometimes even walk vigorously, my calves would stiffen like rocks and the pain was unbearable. Literally touching my calf it felt hard. It was so upsetting and as a result, I had to stop most cardio.

My Physical Therapist recommended compression socks which helped a ton. I don't know exactly what your calf issue is, but they helped me so much. Also, I switched to going to the gym daily and using the arc machine. That way, the pressure was off my calves and my feet remained flat. I found when I would have to flex my feet was when the pain in my calves would start.

Nevertheless, you CAN do it. Good luck!