Eating out

Options
So obviously there are times when even the most well intention planner gets derailed by life and has to eat out for whatever reason. I realize this will happen to me but want to get a head of the ball... what do you all eat on the fly???

Replies

• marthapie2
    marthapie2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a cheat meal, I just go without the heavy carbs since they can be really calorie-dense. Obvious choice would be a salad but that can be boring! So I look at the entrees, find one I like and ask to substitute the starch for another veggie.

Definitely check out the menu ahead of time and see if they have nutritional info online!
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    What types of restaurants?
    A basic hamburger at most fast food places isn't a horrible amount of calories. At a nicer restaurant, have what you want and either box up half or share it.
    And some salads have just as many calories as the "naughty" foods. So just get what you want. And don't beat yourself up, but also don't EAT ALL THE FOOD!
  • toriraeh
    toriraeh Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to do this is to find something I want, look it up online to get the count and if it fits, great. If not, I eat half. I usually can't eat the other half for lunch (my lunches tend to be very small) so I give it to my hubby. I'm satisfied usually and he's happy because he gets my leftovers. Win win.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat out at places that aren't chains and don't have nutritional information online (but generally also serve smaller portions), so my go-to is just pick something that will be tasty and filling, and don't over-eat (so eat slowly and try to be honest with myself as to when I'm "not hungry" vs. when I am "full", oh and be reasonable about whether or not I really REALLY want that appetizer or not).

I like fish when I go out, I don't cook it often at home, it is frequently lower calorie, the servings are usually a more reasonable size, and my favourite places tend to serve it with grilled or roasted vegetables which makes it a pretty decent meal in terms of nutrition. Calorie-wise...who knows, it could be drenched in oil or butter, and so could the veggies, but at least it is a nice, tasty choice.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mixed grills are awesome. Other than that I go steak or Chicken (plain) or "naked"burgers. I avoid pastas. And nornaly cut.the portion in half, and if I cant finish it I ask them to bag it up.
    If u can, ask them what they use to cook it in and maybe request an alternative? Ie I would always request olive oil or butter over rapeseed and sunflower oil.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken.
    Ask for it dry without sauces.
    Veggies on the side instead of mashed potatoes or french fries.

this is usually what I do. or fish
  • anicole0102
    anicole0102 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks peeps! I just am getting back on track and I know that it is something I always struggle with but never really asked or sought out others suggestions.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the place I'm eating out at. But I usually bank a lot of calories just for eating out on the fly and I try and be low carb just because I find it fills me up faster.
  • StygianMind
    StygianMind Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a document (on Word) listing every "safe food" at restaurants in my area. In general, though, salad or soup is best. As mentioned above, dry grilled mean with non-starchy veggies are typically a go-to. If the restaurant provides paper napkins, use those to dry the grease from your dish.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It is the extremely rare occasion that I eat out, so when I do, I eat pretty much whatever I feel like eating. Whatever it is will not do me much good, so I might as well enjoy it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Whatever I feel like eating. *shrug*
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    make smart choices. Grilled anything. vegetarian entries are good. I try to plan the meal before I get there (like with sushi) and look up the foods on MPF. I found out I can have the sushi but the sake is a big ticket item.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So obviously there are times when even the most well intention planner gets derailed by life and has to eat out for whatever reason. I realize this will happen to me but want to get a head of the ball... what do you all eat on the fly???

I don't eat out all that often so I don't really worry about it for the most part...

If I'm having a week where I'm in a bunch of meetings and going out for lunch, etc I tend to stick to soups and salads mostly.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Single ordered items such as shrimp cocktail, steak, grilled chicken, salmon. On top of salads is good.