To old to feel this bad about myself, Time to change!

Options
I've been a sahm for 18 years, I now work from home cause I couldn't handle having a boss lol
I'm a good 100# over weight imo I know what needs to be done, I am a lifetime dieter. But, I am never successful. I just turned 40, have two kids that started college today and two more heading to 8th and 10th grade. I'm tired of being the fat mom and being upset when I have to get dressed and go out in public. I'm embarrassed of myself, yet that is still not enough for me to get it done!! I'm a fun, motivational person to others but I never take my own advice. So in short, any miracle workers out there with tricks up your sleeves. I'd be forever grateful., T

Replies

• wtbarunner
    wtbarunner Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am interested too. As I am just over 40 and know exactly how u feel. I should not feel this way at my age ( out of breath stiff when I get up) HELP!!
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    No miracles.

Guidance I would provide is to just start. Log food, start moving and look for improvement. Journey of a thousand miles starting with a single step stuff.

Of equal importance, don't make it an all or nothing proposition. If you happened to stumble, be kind to yourself and start again.

I'm 55 and 169 days into my MFP program. Down 50#, another 115# to go. Personally, I've been using the Daily Commitment thread for the past month to set a daily goal and hold myself accountable. I nail it most days and come up short others but always start each day new.

Good luck on your journey.

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    no tricks or miracles I'm afraid!
    make a list of what you want to achieve for a start, list some small, manageable goals.
    engage with positive people and be open to honest feedback.
    then start making small changes!

• _Butterflies_And_Chaos_
    Options
    The one thing that has helped me the most is shifting my way of thinking... I've stopped "dieting" (dieting implies that there's an end to the process) and have started to focus instead on mindful eating/healthy living that's sustainable forever. Shifting my viewpoint has made all of the difference in the world! :) Also, congrats on two of your four kids starting college... that's a great accomplishment!! :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There are no miracle tricks to losing weight. Either you want it badly enough to stick to plan or you don't. The best advice I have is don't try to rush it. Set a reasonable eating and exercise plan that won't leave you miserable. It's going to take a while to lose 100 lbs, and I assume you want to maintain the loss once you reasch your goal, so you need a plan that you can live with long term.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    First off I'm 47 so you are not old!!! Second get out of the diet mentality and just change the way you think about food. It's all to do with calories in and calories out. These fad diets are just that and they only work because you simply end up in a calorie deficit. Check out the following article

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Losing weight initially "dieting" is the easy part. Changing long term habits and staying motivated is the hard part. I was doing great then my daughter came home from college. My house is a mess and she buys all kinds of junk food that I get into.

While there is no magic trick there are a few things that can help you. Especially working from home.

- no one in your house will die if there is no candy or chips in the house. Your kids can benefit from a healthy diet too
    - Think of it as eating healthy instead of being totally restrictive
    - Keep carrot sticks, celery sticks, frozen veggies on hand for easy snacking
    - Is there a food you can't resist if its in the house? then make sure it is never in the house (Vienna finger and Mallomars, no matter how hard I try, I eat them all)
    - Stand up and walk in place every hour for 5 minutes. This will help you get moving.
    - Get moving. Don't be embarrassed, lots of people you see were like you before and they got started.

The other problem is the self esteem, we tend to eat our feelings. That is where I struggle. I did it last week. My job sucks right now and I just keep eating my feelings. I sit on the couch and don't get up cause I am tired, the house is a mess, I am just making excuses.

I don't snack if I do stuff after work, anything for like 1/2 hour, but work is making me tired, daughters stuff everywhere makes it hard to clean (pack a dorm room into an already full 2 bedroom apartment and see what happens to your place). I know these things and everyday I say "OK, lets get moving" or "OK I will eat healthy". I am stuck, but I am not creeping up. Just keep resetting and stop saying "I failed".

One thing people forget to tell you is that it is hard, its really hard. However, it can be done.

FYI< there are other benefits. I am 49 and if I let my weight creep past a certain point my knees hurt and back and my..... More active I am and the lower my weight the better I feel overall. So its not just about looks, its about being healthy. Also remember you are the example for your kids.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm in the best shape of my life at 49. And better than anyone else I know personally. 3 years ago I was 60 lbs overweight and a hot mess. You are only limited by your own mind. Make a deal with your self to do everything right for just one year. Give yourself one year of strict diet, going to gym, laying off the vices....if you do, my bet is you will never look back and you will be an inspiration to everyone you know. Give it a shot....
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm in the best shape of my life at 49. And better than anyone else I know personally. 3 years ago I was 60 lbs overweight and a hot mess. You are only limited by your own mind. Make a deal with your self to do everything right for just one year. Give yourself one year of strict diet, going to gym, laying off the vices....if you do, my bet is you will never look back and you will be an inspiration to everyone you know. Give it a shot....

Great story and motivation!!!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Well, If you're old, I'm REALLY old, but I decided at age 59 (headed toward 61 soon) that the only way the fat was gonna come off was for me to finally get UP off of my FAT A** and do something about it. I started logging EVERYTHING that went into my mouth on MFP, start exercising 5 to 6 days a week and abracadabra, a year and a half later I lost 95 pounds! Sorry. There are no magic pills or overnight miracles. There is the miracle of our bodies being able to respond get lean and healthy once we decide to treat them with respect.
    You deserve a healthy body and I'm certain you'd like to live a long healthy life because most likely your younguns will have children. Don't you want to be able to enjoy them and be active with them? If a fat ol' 60 year old woman can do it, I'm sure you can!