woman question

Options
How much weight should I expect to gain during "that time of the month?" Or will my weight change at all. I know water retention goes up around that time so that's why I'm asking

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's going to vary by person. Some women retain a lot of water, others less. I can gain as much as six pounds.

The best way to determine how much you should expect to gain is to track your own trends.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just been at this for a month and a half so had only one TOM in that time. I gained 1.5 pounds. It disappeared all at once, along with a half pound more of real weight, after a week.
  • CarolinaCricket
    CarolinaCricket Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It will vary from person to person. I've gained anywhere from 1 to 4 lbs and that disappeared within a few days.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Yes, track your own trends. I go up a few pounds just a few days before I start; for some women it's a much longer time ahead.

Since I've been weighing daily I've also learned that I gain a few pounds at ovulation as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Usually 3 pounds here, but I start gaining 2 weeks before.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I gain the day before about 3 pounds and the day after I'm back to normal. Drink lots of water
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I start gaining about 4 days before and by the second day after starting, I'm usually up 5 to 7 lbs.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 3-4 lbs. Then I spend a day peeing every 5 minutes, and drop down to a new "lowest" weight.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 1 to 5 pounds. It depends on my activity level and diet at that time.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I gain 1-4lbs the week before. I'm usually at my lightest when I'm actually on my period.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I gain about 4 lbs the week before. then it goes away on the first day of my cycle.
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't get so bloated when I know I'm about to start and when I am on my cycle. It makes it hard to workout because all I want to do is just stay in bed with a heating pad on my lower belly area.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    0-7 pounds.

Some women, especially younger women, gain nothing. I usually gain 3-4 pounds, but once jumped up 7. That was not fun! I was convinced that I must've gained weight, but knew what I'd eaten and let it ride. It went away. :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I maybe gain 1-2lbs, and that goes away afterwards.
  • mrsf15h
    mrsf15h Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can gain a whopping 7lbs during that horrid week when the witch arrives. I get a lot of bloating, upset stomach plus the cramps. BUT...I do tend to find that the week after I usually have a greater loss than any other weeks.
    Strange huh!?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    If you EXPECT to gain weight, you most likely will.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mrsf15h wrote: »
    I can gain a whopping 7lbs during that horrid week when the witch arrives. I get a lot of bloating, upset stomach plus the cramps. BUT...I do tend to find that the week after I usually have a greater loss than any other weeks.
    Strange huh!?

The week after has pretty much been the only weight I actually lose weight.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm dealing w/ this now (I'm currently on my 3rd day).
    I jumped up 7 pounds and have since lost 4-5 of them. I have been holding on to 2-3 pounds since last Monday and I have been in a deficit either through eating, exercise, or in most cases both every day....so logically it can't be fat gain, but dammit it sucks to see the rise in numbers (or mainten) on the scale when you should be seeing loss!
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you an amount you will gain as everyone is different. Some people lose, some stay the same and some gain. It is water weight and due to hormone changes so don't fret. It happens but, it will come back off if you stick to plan.
  • yangt41
    yangt41 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gain up to 10 lbs!!! Crazy I know! But that comes off fairly quickly for me so I wouldn't worry much if I were you :)