Can't lose any weight

Options
Back in 2004, I lost 70 lbs...it seemed easy...since 2004, I have not been able to lose the last 10 lbs...I go up and down 2 lbs...I still work out (I have every DVD, go running, strength training, personal training) at least 3-5 days a week...I have started to log my food for the past 4 months - eating around 1200 calories...I have cheat days once a week. But I can't lose those last 10 lbs...maybe I need to eat lower calories than 1200 (I am 5 feet, 133 lbs, 35 yrs old). I think I should go down to 1000 calories...I just want to lose the weight and I can't seem to do it...I am frustrated...like really really frustrated....I want to lose those 10 lbs!!!

Replies

• Jpot93
    Jpot93 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have cheat days once a week.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    Don't go below 1200, you'll go into starvation mode and you wont lose anything.

What are you doing for Cardio? That may be a good place to start.
  • agarjogger
    Options
    You're a little too comfortable with the idea of a "cheat day". I used to have those from time to time, and regularly ate all three thousand weekly deficit calories in a sitting. There are lots of reasons for lack of weight loss, but I think you already identified yours.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Check this post out by a highly respected MFP member - you'd be in Phase 3 (just overweight to just about healthy). General gist: make sure you're getting enough protein, your deficit should be under 500 cals/day (so your goal should be to lose no more than 1/2 a pound a week), make sure you're incorporating strength training multiple days per week and your cardio (only a few days a week) should include intervals with high intensity work.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49690-the-banks-plan
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How big are your cheat days? I mean, are you eating back everything you lost all week?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    oops. double post.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If I could lose weight as easily as I did 7-10 years ago, this would be a piece of cake! ;)

My thoughts - change your cheat day to just a cheat meal. Enjoy 1 indulgent dinner per week. I know it's easier said than done with the speed of life. Also, have you considered the idea that you might not be eating enough calories? We all fixate on the 1200 number, but there really is a lot more to it. And, with your workouts, are you getting strength training in? (actually, accountant_boi's suggestion is great for workouts!) Worst case scenario, visit a nutritionist to evaluate your exact caloric needs when you're that close to your ideal goal weight, or check in on your BMI number.

good luck!!
  • twinsmommaplus1
    twinsmommaplus1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would say you are not eating enough. You should try following a cycle of burn days and then refeeds. I just read a great article about that. Also, what kinds of foods are you eating? Not all calories are created equal. How much veggies are you eating a day and how much water are you drinking? What about your fiber intake?
  • dwellsouth
    dwellsouth Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just read an entire thread on eating MORE calories to lose the weight, especially those who are very active. Good luck and keep up the hard work too!
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say that they started losing again after increasing their calories. Try it for a week and see what happens. Or try zigzagging your calories from day to day. Also, try switching up your exercise to something different as your body might be used to what you're doing. Good luck!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED MORE CALORIES. Bump your cals to 1450 AND eat your exercise calories and see what happens. Obviously what you're doing isn't working so give it a shot...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Wow. You're the first person here with that problem.