anyone else?

Options
Does anyone else feel like the "goal" they set for themselves is pretty much obsolete, because even if you reach it you won't be happy? I have low self esteem and I just hate looking in the mirror, because I feel like what is the point of even dieting, I am always going to hate the way I look no matter what.

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    cant say i do really and i think you look awesome tbfh :happy:
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yep!

But if not, then what would I have to obsess about?
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    Absolutely. Were in the same boat, unfortunately :/
  • kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do feel like this too. No matter what I look like it will never be the way I want.

When I am having really bad days I try and combat this feeling by focusing on being healthy instead of how I look/know I will never look in the mirror. And as long as I am healthy then I try not to think about anything else too much. It is a hard issue to struggle with. Good luck finding your own coping method.

-Kara
  • bonesfan
    bonesfan Posts: 9
    Options
    I try to make dieting more about being healthy than trying to look a certain way. I find that when I'm not obsessing over how I look or how much I weigh I feel better about myself and just feel better in general. It also makes it easier to eat right because I'm not thinking about how it's going to make me look I'm thinking about what it's going to do to my body so I don't get so frustrated when i don't see results right away. I hope I'm making sense, and good luck!
  • Imvidal
    Imvidal Posts: 22
    Options
    I used to have very low self esteem, I live in a city where perfect bodies are everywhere. I went thru a very tough divorce and it got worse. Every time I looked in the mirror I focused on all I had wrong. I even believed that I would never get fit because I hated working out and I was lazy. But one day i realized that, that attitude of defeat was my worst enemy and had become my crutch... plus I had also seen the Oprah show and saw the story of a lady who had an accident and was stuck in a fire and her face melted away. I think her name is Jacqui Saburido (google her). And then I said, WTH am I complaining about? It's all about perspective, so I decided to focus everyday on the good things i had in my life, and as the saying goes after you do something for 22 days straight it becomes a habit. Well my positive attitude became a habit. And now I workout and I love it, thanks to all the support I found here... and on the days where i might look in the mirror and start seeing the bad...I remember Jacqui and know that if she could she would switch places with me in an instant and that SHUTS ME UP...instantly!
  • bike4now
    bike4now Posts: 52
    Options
    Interesting question. I have actually passed my goal by 10 pounds and still wondering what to do next. Still things to work on.