Losing body fat to help transition - friends?

Options
Hello!

So, I've never really been concerned with losing weight or body fat before, but I have been secretly concerned with this: I want to be a boy. It's a feeling that started up in middle school, and it hasn't left me since then. I'm 26 now, and I've decided to start beginning to transition from female to male - to finally start feeling comfortable with what I am.

I've been doing lots of reading from folks with similar experiences to me, and one big thing I learned - one definitely looks more "male" when one gets rid of the body fat! Women tend to collect body fat in the hips and breasts, so ditching that body fat will help me, even before I start on hormones.

So, I'm going to be really trying to stick to ditching the fat, and picking up some muscle! I am coming out to my friends and family a bit at a time, but I wouldn't mind more friends on this app to cheer me on. I am happy to return the favor :)

Also, I love video games, dinosaurs, birds, science, the outdoors, and reading, so other chatting can be had as well!

Good luck to everyone in all of their goals :)

Replies

• ks1069
    ks1069 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you for finally being true to yourself! You should not have waited this long and you should not put it off another day. It's not good for your health. You have been transgender since you were born but when your hormones kicked in, you finally realized it. If my children hide something like this from me, I would feel very disappointed in my parenting. I have always taught my children to never try to be someone there not. I hope your parents are the same and embrace all aspects of you! The same with your friends. You will still be you but I'm sure you'll be happier, so they're feeling shouldn't change unless they're *kitten*. Your looks will change but everybody changes their looks from time to time! Lol
  • Falconidae
    Falconidae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the kind words :) I'm already feeling better just buying men's clothes and I'm just getting started!
  • ks1069
    ks1069 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! As fair as fitness goes, I was pretty buff for a while until I went into a deep depression from ptsd I had a screwed up childhood and out of blue it all came back to haunt me for 3 + years but I'm over it now and ready to take my life back. My routine at the gym was more old school but I got results over time. Be patient and stick to it. That's my plan too! Lol
  • Gretchen_To_Be
    Gretchen_To_Be Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi Falcon. What I found interesting or even ironic is that we both want to lose weight, but for a different end goal! I want to get thin to later add fat in the hips and bust, or at least use padding. I also want to shed all of the muscle I have in my shoulders and arms...which you would probably like to have! How is your progress so far? I've got a goal of mid-Oct to lose another 20 lbs. I booked a male-to-female transformation makeover then, so I am motivated to slim down to try to look my best. I'm excited because I've never attempted wigs or makeup. I imagine you shun those items, right? It's fascinating to me how we are polar opposites yet very much alike in our path. Cheers, Gretchen
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hi Falcon, you should be proud of yourself for finding yourself like that. I am a 49yo mom with a gay daughter who is transitioning to a be a boy. He is a great guy, but having lots of family support issues. Good luck to you as you come out!!! I recommend weight lifting to you very much. It will be harder to bulk up for you, but it will help you lose the fat and gain the muscle. Don't not do legs, but definitely concentrate on shoulders (carefully)

Gretchen - Make up is an art. Peronally I don't use much myself most of the time, but I do love it so. Love your profile picture too, great shoes. I am impressed with you as well. Good luck in your transition.

Feel free both of you to add me as a friend. I am not as active here as I should be. I am a bit of Geek, headed to NY Comicon all 4 days in October. I think being your true self is very important. Don't expect me to be overly active and supportive all the time, but I would try to be there if you messaged me.

Just to understand me, I work full time. My daughter is in her last year college, my job is rotten and I need to make a change. Its hard though because looking for a job can be a full time job. So I get very busy and stressed.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

Have you talked to your doctors about your plans? Do you find that medical professionals are supportive and understanding about this, or do you meet resistance?
  • Falconidae
    Falconidae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @Mytydyam - I am glad you are working hard! It's definitely tough to pick up new habits. I wish you the best of luck :)

@shibumicd - That is funny and awesome! It's great that working the body in different ways can help us both gain a love of ourselves. Thank you for the kind words! I wish you the best of luck in goals :) Indeed, my mother always bought me makeup or hair supplies, and I never felt the urge to use them...in fact, when someone does me up, I feel even more self-conscious! I don't wear anything aside from lotion :) -high fives you- Nice to meet you!!

@fanny - Thank you for the kind words, and I'm glad your son has some support in his life :) The best wishes for both of you!! I remember my job-seeking days. It's hard on everyone right now.

@azulvioleta6 - Indeed, I am searching for a therapist to schedule with to discuss my gender stuff. I'm a bit wary of coming out because of where I live - Idaho. Idaho isn't known for being the most welcoming of states. Luckily, all of my nerd friends (and the nerd/convention community in general) are all quite accepting. So we shall see!

So far I've lost a couple pounds - I just bought a scale with a body fat % estimator, so now I can truly keep track. Also, I joined a gym! Let the weight-lifting begin!

Cheers to everyone <3
  • RomboughUE
    RomboughUE Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats Falcon! You're obviously on track to where you want to go and you're going to get there!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Actually it's not my son, it's my daughters room mate. I probably wasn't clear.

You are right about generally needs accept this easier. I hope you get the right support!!!
  • BecomingShane
    BecomingShane Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just a shout out to another guy on the same level I am! Best of luck to you!