cardio folks, do you have this? postural hypotension - getting dizzy when you stand up

Options
So, I run typically every day, for at least around a 1/2 hour, and often more. I've been averaging about 30-35 miles per week for awhile now.

My resting heart rate is around the mid-50s. It used to be higher.

Weight is now in normal BMI range.

I've found that as I've gotten leaner and the more I run, the more I have this problem of getting very dizzy, occasionally to the point where I feel I might faint, when I stand up from a crouching position.

It's kind of messed with my work a tad. I work in a hospital and I've had a practice for years where I would crouch by patients in their wheelchairs or hospital beds to chat with them. Used to be I would just stand up and then immediately move on. Now if I do that it seems like I'm liable to black out.

Any runners, bikers, cardio folks also have this problem as they've been getting more in shape?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    see a dr.
    that is not healthy or normal
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    see a dr.
    that is not healthy or normal

:smile:

It's actually pretty common in people do do a lot of biking or running. I'm just wondering what others who have experienced this have done to manage it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    then the dr will be able to help you with it. I wouldn't recommend diagnosing yourself. or at the least getting a second opinion.
    from mayo
    medicinenet
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I got dizzy after extreme weight loss as my blood pressure dropped to the low-normal range. I continue to test my blood pressure and I find that it stays in normal range but my heart rate has dropped. I see yours has as well.

First of all I negotiated off my blood pressure meds. I'm assuming you aren't on any so this doesn't help much.

Second, stand up slowly and give your body time to adjust. Drink more water to keep your blood pressure up.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've tested my BP a few times at work, and when I'm at the Safeway. It doesn't seem any different, but the HR is lower.

It's just kind of annoying, really, and seems it will take some getting used to. Much like a lot of stuff about losing a lot of weight and getting more fit.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How's your blood? I have orthostatic hypotension, but I also just don't make enough blood. It'd be worth it to see a doctor if it's been a while since your last CBC. Other than that, there's nothing really to do about it except be aware and slow down when you stand up. Or eat more salt, but slowing down to let your blood catch up might be better advice than trying to push your bp back up.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It may be common, but that doesn't mean it's ok. Your blood pressure should not have sudden dropoffs, to the point where you're dizzy, no matter what.

With that being said, when that happens with myself, I've noted my electrolytes were off.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a new body. Getting through the Mud Hero challenge I was constantly surprised how LITTLE it hurt to fall, and how FAST I could recover. I'm just not used to this smaller body yet.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I ride over 80 miles a week average for the last 90 day bracket

Never had dizziness on standing

It is worth a question to your Dr.

Better safe than sorry.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Nope i'd be concerned if it happened more thna once. First time id feel I overdid it and look for things like hydration and enough food. If it persists i'd be off to the Dr.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Yes, but had it since I was a child, so it no longer surprises or upsets my routine, it is one of those things you learn to live with. If it is new for you perhaps it would not hurt to ask a dr, but for me, it is just normal (yes, a dr has confirmed this).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I've found that as I've gotten leaner and the more I run, the more I have this problem of getting very dizzy, occasionally to the point where I feel I might faint, when I stand up from a crouching position.

Any runners, bikers, cardio folks also have this problem as they've been getting more in shape?

I experienced this fairly regularly earlier this year after losing some 60 pounds and ramping up my running and seeing my resting heart rate go from from 80+ to 50 and BP from slightly concerning levels to the low side of the healthy range.

A few months later and another 18 pounds lost and even more running volume added (60 - 70+ km a week), I only occasionally experience this now. I've no idea if acclimating to the new norm is possible or expected but that's what it feels like has taken place.
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    It's actually pretty common in people do do a lot of biking or running. I'm just wondering what others who have experienced this have done to manage it.

I try to stay on top of my hydration during the day and I've a sense this helps but can't explain why I seem to suffer from fewer occurrences now than a few months ago. I never consume electrolyte replacement products.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    stand up slowly? are we having a "doctors are the worst patients" moment here? :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Yes, but had it since I was a child, so it no longer surprises or upsets my routine, it is one of those things you learn to live with. If it is new for you perhaps it would not hurt to ask a dr, but for me, it is just normal (yes, a dr has confirmed this).

This for me too. There are times I will know is coming and just adjust the speed I stand up. I can make it a lot worse by stretching too. I can reduce the likelihood by not sitting or being sedentary for too long.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Not unusual at all. Genetics plays a role. My father and I both have had this our entire lives.

Stand slower.
    Eat regular.
    Stay hydrated.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yes, lower resting HR rate and age(?). Mine was in the low 50s since taking up cycling. Haven't check since beginning of the year but hope it's lower since I'm doing a lot more miles and step up the intensity this year. When I was racing collegiate, my resting HR was in the mid 40s and didn't encounter as many dizziness getting up especially after a ride.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I had it before losing weight but it happens much more often now. My blood pressure is borderline low now too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Has happened to me my entire life as well. Just something I live with. Sucks, but it is what it is.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have that happen pretty often and I'm a nurse so I can relate. Personally I have been evaluated by many different doctors and its unrelated to Fluid balance or electrolytes. I saw a cardiologist and they said its due to a dysfunction where my carotid baroreceptors just take a little more time to adjust the blood flow going to the. Brain when I change position. It's not orthstatic hypotension because my blood pressure always stays the same regardless when orthostatics are taken. Anyways just be careful getting up from squatting position. I usually only have the issue if I've been squatting down for awhile.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Has happened to me my whole life. Doctor was never concerned. Blood pressure can drop from dehydration, so just make sure you are keeping yourself hyrdated. Other than that stand up more slowly.