binge eating and don't know what to do

Options
Hi there, just thought I would try reaching out and owning up. I have been binge eating a lot. I have been too embarrassed to log my food and don't want to have to see all the calories I have been binge eating and feel really disappointed in myself and discouraged. I'm not sure how to stop and I don't really even know why I am doing it. Anyone else had a similar experience and have managed to loose weight and eat healthily? Any tips?

Replies

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    the best advice i can give you is to log it. seeing negative 500 calories or whatever is an eye opener. Just because you didn't log it doesn't mean you didn't eat it, you know? Face it and move on. Try it for a week. You might see that you start making better choices or exercise more to make up for some of the calories. Also, write down when you are wanting to binge what is going on so you can see a pattern. If you can, go for a walk or call someone to chat instead. Best of luck.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are struggling with this. Binge eating is a terrible, difficult habit to break.

First and foremost, I want to tell you that you CAN stop it, you CAN break the cycle, and you CAN be healthy. It takes a lot of work, without a doubt, but you CAN do it! I would urge you to log the binges. Accountability is the first step. You can't change something you don't acknowledge exists. You've already eaten the food; pretending like you didn't doesn't change anything. There is no shame in a binge; it happened, move on. But don't lie to yourself, you deserve better.

Next I would encourage you to research and find some binge prevention strategies. There are stories all over the internet of people who have conquered binge eating, and they all have something in common. They DID SOMETHING about it. Maybe you need to drink a glass of water and reevaluate whether or not you still want the food afterwards. Maybe go for a walk. Maybe its a specific food? Stop buying it. But whatever you do, don't do NOTHING. You have to prepare for it and deal with it when it happens.

Lastly, you need to be really, really honest with yourself about why it is happening and what you want to do about it. Do you really want to stop? Do you really want to be healthy? Lose weight? If so, then you have to dig down and make it happen. It isn't easy. It takes work. Its hard. But living this way is hard, too. You have to decide which is worth the effort. If you commit to working on yourself and the "why" of your binges, you will giving yourself a gift that can help lead you to your goals.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater all my life and have been able to succesfully keep off my weight for some time now. I personally binged because of emotional reasons I would let the sugar and carb rush keep me happy and it always did and I always felt bad after. Best advice I can give is to try walking when you have cravings the walking would help me clear my mind and feel ready to get back on track with my eating habits. The more you replace unhealthy habits with positive ones you will start to feel the confidence to stay on track. Lots of luck feel free to friend me if you like = )
  • P6O9B
    P6O9B Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will start doing that from today. It means so much to be able to talk about this with people who don't judge me for it. Usually I just keep my issues a secret from people in my life because I'm so embarrassed and disgusted about the binge eating and think others will feel the same so it's really nice to be able to talk and get advice!
  • P6O9B
    P6O9B Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow it's so wonderful reading all your replies. Thank you so much for the support!!! It means so much to me!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar.. Do binge eating was and still is an issue with me.. I managed to lose 137 lbs and am keeping it off. I've learned to love active life.. Every day I do active things until the afternoon, when I kind of tucker out.. I don't keep unhealthy food in the house. All the food we keep is good, nutritious, energy producing fuel type food.. So I generally focus on creating energy production through eating and every day activity.. Every day I prepare for tomorrow's activities.. So when I have a binge.. If I get ahold of something bad.. Or binge on health food, I truly get a hangover lol, and can't perform the way I want.. So I suffer the consequences, and just move forward.. The day after a binge.. I flush out with water, kind of a sick day.. Then next day... Back on the horse.. So my advice is... Try to binge less.. But if/when you do, make sure you give yourself the next day to recover, then back on the horse.. Until your binges become small enough to not effect you.. At this point, my binges are so small they don't effect me much anymore.. Like 3 Safeway cookies.. That's a binge.. Or 3 cups of 1/2 fat ice cream.. That's a binge.. This is a huge jump from the 5,000 calorie binges I used to have!!!!! Slow and steady!!! And don't forget to stay active!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    log it. confront it. deal with it.
    and deal with your emotions. don't stuff them down with food.
    consider exercise.
    consider a therapist if the emotional aspect seems too big.
    redevelop your relationship with food. food is neither good or bad. it doesn't provide comfort. it is fuel.
    also consider Overeaters anonymous as you will find people who have had similar struggles. and it's a place you can feel safe and work on developing good techniques on dealing with food and food situations.
    I believe there is an OA group here
  • kimcalica
    Options
    I am so sorry you are struggling with this. Binge eating is a terrible, difficult habit to break.

First and foremost, I want to tell you that you CAN stop it, you CAN break the cycle, and you CAN be healthy. It takes a lot of work, without a doubt, but you CAN do it! I would urge you to log the binges. Accountability is the first step. You can't change something you don't acknowledge exists. You've already eaten the food; pretending like you didn't doesn't change anything. There is no shame in a binge; it happened, move on. But don't lie to yourself, you deserve better.

Next I would encourage you to research and find some binge prevention strategies. There are stories all over the internet of people who have conquered binge eating, and they all have something in common. They DID SOMETHING about it. Maybe you need to drink a glass of water and reevaluate whether or not you still want the food afterwards. Maybe go for a walk. Maybe its a specific food? Stop buying it. But whatever you do, don't do NOTHING. You have to prepare for it and deal with it when it happens.

Lastly, you need to be really, really honest with yourself about why it is happening and what you want to do about it. Do you really want to stop? Do you really want to be healthy? Lose weight? If so, then you have to dig down and make it happen. It isn't easy. It takes work. Its hard. But living this way is hard, too. You have to decide which is worth the effort. If you commit to working on yourself and the "why" of your binges, you will giving yourself a gift that can help lead you to your goals.

I wish you the best of luck!

I totally agree!! Log the binges!! That's how I knew I had upwards of 5,000 cals!!! Totally eye opening!
  • kimcalica
    Options
    Also, the longer stretch of good days you have, if you have a bad day.. It will effect you less and less... So I like to work really hard for a long time.. Because I just know I'm going to screw up and binge hard someday.. So I do awesome every day so that when that day comes, it won't really even count will it? Ah ha!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Therapy, cardio, and yoga.

How Yoga Can Help End Binge Eating

One breath at a time, end the suffering of binge-eating

...According to Juliano, yoga gives people the skills to stay with what they are feeling, rather than turning to food to escape. People who are obese or suffering from eating disorders have a tendency to dissociate from their bodies -- to choose not to feel what they are feeling when they are angry, anxious, or sad. Often, they turn to food to numb themselves. "There's this sense that I have to feel better right now, " Juliano says. "There is a complete intolerance of what is happening right now." This need to escape unpleasant feelings triggers a binge.

When you eat to escape what you are feeling, you lose touch with the experience of eating, as well. This is one reason binges can spiral out of control. "You have no understanding that you are full, way past full, into uncomfortable, because you're so out of it," Juliano explains. "You have no connection to what you're eating. You're eating a pint of ice cream and can't even taste it. Or you go to make yourself some toast and before you know it, half the loaf is gone."

Mindful yoga directly challenges the habit of dissociating from your body and your present-moment experience. "The whole point of yoga is to stay connected to your body. You learn it through practice, through breathing, and through breathing through the sensations."

Read more: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have been a binge eater in the past but I prayed myself out of it and believed in myself that I can do all things through Christ that within me...It was not easy but I had asked myself do I want to have complication (illness) late in life or enjoy life. Meaning do I want to be diabetic, over weight, high blood pressure and so on. I decided the non complication life.
    I want to meetings with people who are binge eater but to be honest it did not help me but everyone is different and I did one on one therapist which charge you arm and a leg.
    Ask yourself why you are binge? How does it solve the problem or can the problem be solve? Try not to think to hard about foods. Keep yourself busy be active. Whatever day or time you binge use that time to think about other things or be active.
    Hope this help and good luck
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I will always struggle with this... What I do is a bit different. I don't trust myself with binge worthy food, so I don't have anything. My kitchen is filled with things I have to cook to eat, and most of them healthy. I always binge eat at night, so I count on me being lazy. If I don't have it, I'm too lazy to go out and buy stuff... Hence no binge eating.

If I truly need to eat, then the cooking time will allow me to think about why am I eating, sometimes it could be hunger. Of course from time to time I'll buy something and eat it, but it's once in a while, so not a lot of damage...

About logging or not, I would say it's up to you, but it helps. :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    maybe, like with AA, you need a sponsor who you can call when you feel like giving in. a friend or family member who you can call up, so that they can talk you out of it. it's not something that would work for everyone, but I figured it's worth putting out there.
  • kimcalica
    Options
    That's true that it happens at night!! I went two years going to bed at 8pm for that reason!! Lmao!! It worked though!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    maybe, like with AA, you need a sponsor who you can call when you feel like giving in. a friend or family member who you can call up, so that they can talk you out of it. it's not something that would work for everyone, but I figured it's worth putting out there.

there is a program called overeaters anonymous that encourages sponsorship like other 12 step programs
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I eat dinner later at night now (around 7-8pm) to keep from being hungry by bedtime (10 - 10:30pm). Been working for me for about a year now and that's the only thing that has helped. Good luck! :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    What do you have MFP set to lose per week? I found that if I set mine to lose .5 a week I get to eat more and I hardly ever binge. A couple of months ago, I set mine to lose 1.5 pounds a week (wanted to look good for a vacation) and I found myself bingeing more because I was so hungry and not properly fueling myself.

Hope this helps.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There is stacks of good advice here.
    I want to echo Asher_Ethan, if I restrict too much I have more problems with bingeing. I like to have a little bit of room for something yummy in the evening if I have to go over for it I risk a binge.

Also when I was suffering from postnatal depression I wasn't in the right place mentally to lose weight. I put on a fair bit till I got back in control and managed to maintain for 6 months before coming back and now I'm on track for losing again.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been binging for years and just started logging I was shocked to see that I was consiuming thousands of calories in 10 minutes. Since logging I haven't stopped bit I'm more in control.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    in my experience I tended to binge when I tried to cut my calories to much. I tried to go from 3000 calories a day to 800. that doesn't work. reduce slowly if you are eating 3000 now try to cut maybe to 2000-2500 calories. log everything. don't underestimate the portion sizes, overestimate instead.