Weight Training While Losing Fat

Options
So I've lost 43 pounds since April, and I basically stuck to a 1200 calorie diet and ran for 30-45 minutes, 5 days a week. I am a male, 5'9, and 175 pounds, so for my height I still need to lose another 15-20 pounds. But I was wondering if I should start weight lifting now since I am nearing my goal? Because once I get the rest of this fat burned off within the next 2-3 months, I want to look like I have at least a little muscle and not just skinny looking. I am just concerned that if I start weight lifting, it will slow down my fat loss since I won't be able to do cardio as often. Any advice would be great, thanks. :)

Replies

• Hana1908
    Hana1908 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing so much weight :)
    As for your question, I'm not an expert on this but I believe weight training would actually help you lose those final pounds because you would be gaining lean body mass.
    Cardio is great for weight loss because you manage to burn a high amount of calories and combined with a diet plan the results are seen in a few weeks but since you've already lost so much I think it's time to tone up and cardio alone wont do it. Start with doing weight training 2 or 3 times a week and do cardio on your other workout days and just see how it goes.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Weight training can only help not make it worse
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Weight training will definitely boost your results that you're seeking. In the beginning stages of weight training you will be able to achieve some great gains in lean muscle rather quickly if you train properly. Remember if you want to further build some quality muscle you're going to have to restructure your macro-nutrient targets. You need to eat in order to put on some quality muscle don't forget that. Best of luck to you!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hana1908 wrote: »
    Congrats on losing so much weight :)
    As for your question, I'm not an expert on this but I believe weight training would actually help you lose those final pounds because you would be gaining lean body mass.
    Cardio is great for weight loss because you manage to burn a high amount of calories and combined with a diet plan the results are seen in a few weeks but since you've already lost so much I think it's time to tone up and cardio alone wont do it. Start with doing weight training 2 or 3 times a week and do cardio on your other workout days and just see how it goes.

No... I'm going to stop you right there. I've seen you post a few times on the forums and everything you've said was incorrect, I'm afraid.

Generally speaking, muscle building requires a caloric surplus and losing fat requires a caloric deficit - see the problem there?

Lifting heavy weights while in a caloric deficit means that the body will preserve as much muscle mass, and hence, there will be a higher proportion of fat lost instead of muscle.
    Weight training will definitely boost your results that you're seeking. In the beginning stages of weight training you will be able to achieve some great gains in lean muscle rather quickly if you train properly. Remember if you want to further build some quality muscle you're going to have to restructure your macro-nutrient targets. You need to eat in order to put on some quality muscle don't forget that. Best of luck to you!

Wtf is quality muscle? Is there different types? What is lean muscle? Is there also fatty muscle?
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    OP, definitely start weightlifting now to preserve muscle mass. Some really good beginner programs are;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • StrongLifts 5x5

Because you're exerting a lot of energy through lifting, you'll need to fuel yourself properly. These are good macro frameworks;
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Start lifting yesterday. You've already lost a bit of muscle mass, why not save as much as you can now? You're a beginner and doing a full body workout 3 times per week is not going to slow you down. You will only look better.

I've switched to a deficit last week and chose to run Strong Lifts 5x5 to cut down to three days and have less volume and hypertrophy work. It's been going well. Not too hungry, and not too drained to train either.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Start lifting yesterday. You've already lost a bit of muscle mass, why not save as much as you can now? You're a beginner and doing a full body workout 3 times per week is not going to slow you down. You will only look better.

I've switched to a deficit last week and chose to run Strong Lifts 5x5 to cut down to three days and have less volume and hypertrophy work. It's been going well. Not too hungry, and not too drained to train either.

How are you finding squats? I remember being fatigued more than usual with SL 5x5 while in a deficit.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

How are you finding squats? I remember being fatigued more than usual with SL 5x5 while in a deficit.

Well this is my 4th workout and I lowered them below 135 last week, so I just got there today. I'll be fine until I hit 150 and then I might have to back off. I knew I would be more fatigued actually. I think it'll turn out that 5/3/1 was easier in a deficit than 5x5....So why I didn't go back to that beats me.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Minimum calorie recommendations for males is 1800cal/day. Address that issue first, keep activity level the same, and then consider adding in weight lifting.
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP I don't know how I missed your 1200 calorie diet. Get your calories in check first. Dang.
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i wonder what the OP eats throughout the day since he's only getting 1200 cals :s
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    1200 a day for a male at 5'9? 1200 is the lowest amount of calories a female. I think you should definitely start lifting but also eat more. You need to properly fuel your body and workouts.
  • arditarose
    Options
    And 19? Oh H no