How long to change bad eating habits...

Just wondering how long it took you all to feel as though you had changed your eating habits and had found the good eating habits to be engrained? Thanks :)

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    After 5 years I still slip up but my body lets me know it is not happy. After about a month making good choices gets easier and I had a better feel for what to eat. After a year, it was second nature but schedule changes do mess up good habits.
  • Dolcie89
    Dolcie89 Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks for your replies! Lizzy, that's really encouraging, one month seems capable, if I struggle for months without feeling it getting any easier I will fail, thanks again!
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    I've been eating better for about two months now, and I'm finding that my eating habits are already very different.

Sure, I still eat things like chips and candy, however it's only occasionally. I no longer find myself wanting them every day. I went grocery shopping yesterday, and after leaving I was shocked at what good choices I made, without even trying. I don't crave sweets or really junky food the way I used to, so I don't feel the need to keep them in the house. On occasions that I want something sweet, I tend to make a special trip to get it.

My portioning is a lot better. While I was weighing my food for lunch today, I realized that I didn't have to mess around with anything too much. I would just plop however much I wanted on the scale, and it ended up being a totally reasonable amount.

In the past, I've always fallen off the wagon after a few weeks. This time, I pushed through that only to find that it gets much easier very shortly after.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Depends how ingrained the habit is.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I flipped immediately, but struggled for about two years before I felt comfortable with everything and quit having rebellious periods, lol.

It required a lot of work on my part. A LOT!! But it was worth it in the end. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Depends a lot on how old you are.
    Old folks have a lot of trouble with change.
    So glad to know that 59 isn't old.

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    i think it took me about a week. but i was faced with incredibly high cholesterol and my dietary needs HAD to change, so it was easier to agree to the restrictions since my health was on the line.
  • MelissaSW92
    MelissaSW92 Posts: 2 Member
    Took me a month do two to really push through the cravings, but I'm about 8 months in and can really tell a difference. My body reacts badly now when I slip up, so my slip ups are few and far between simply cause they make me feel like crap.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Some of it depends on consistency. I wanted to get into the habit of having breakfast after not having breakfast for about 20 yrs. I told myself 'have brekky ONCE this week', the next day I told myself the same thing, and the next day and on and on. It took about 2 weeks of consistency to form the habit. That was a year ago and even though I still have the odd day of not eating til 4pm (I'm up at 9am), I have more days that I do have brekky than not having brekky and I'm ok with that.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    At 8 months in I am on auto pilot when grocery shopping. Makes life so much easier. What is still a challenge and probably always will be is when family shoves food in my face that no longer interests me. I feel bad but it truly does not interest me to eat things that are not conducive to my health.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I'm still learning. I'm 130 lbs now but would still like to eat the same amount I ate at 165, but I can't. The type of food is a non-issue.