Goal Setting: Change original goal or create a Phase 2?

I started out at 214.4 pounds. My original goal was to lose 50 lbs. I'm now down 45 and with only 5 left to go. I should have those last pounds gone within a month. However, I'm not satisfied with the result. My body fat % is 23.3%. I'd really like to get it down to 17% or 18%.

Should I keep my original goal, celebrate the success, and then start a Phase 2 goal, or should I just modify the original goal? I know that the only difference is the psychological factor. What do you recommend?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I just wanted to chime in to say congrats on those 45lbs lost!
  • dhalsim2
    dhalsim2 Posts: 10 Member
    edited August 2015
    Ty, goldthistime!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    dhalsim2 wrote: »
    I started out at 214.4 pounds. My original goal was to lose 50 lbs. I'm now down 45 and with only 5 left to go. I should have those last pounds gone within a month. However, I'm not satisfied with the result. My body fat % is 23.3%. I'd really like to get it down to 17% or 18%.

Should I keep my original goal, celebrate the success, and then start a Phase 2 goal, or should I just modify the original goal? I know that the only difference is the psychological factor. What do you recommend?

Congrats!

It's really up to you, but I'm all for celebrating goals and then setting new ones. Part of how I hope to keep from backsliding is by continually setting new goals.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Up to you! If you get there and it's been awhile since you've had a diet break, it might be nice to eat at maintenance for two weeks and then get back into your deficit, or start a new fitness program.
  • dhalsim2
    dhalsim2 Posts: 10 Member
    hmm.... Maybe I will celebrate it as a first goal completed. I don't want to take a break from the deficit though because I'm afraid I won't be able to get back on later.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    I update my goals frequently because mini goals help keepe motivated & encouraged. What do uou mean by a phase 2 goal? How would you enter that?