8 glasses of water a day?

Options
I just saw this article that states there is no scientific basis behind the "8 a Day" guideline for drinking water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I haven't been logging my water in MFP, and I'm pretty sure I never did consume 8 glasses a day. Are there reasons one might want to log this?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    You log water to help you remember to drink it. I get my fluid from batches of weak tea, and just need to remember to make the third batch (thanks for the reminder), so don't bother to log.

My unscientific n=1 studies do show a possible correlation between increased fluid intake and weight loss.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    aletupe wrote: »
    I just saw this article that states there is no scientific basis behind the "8 a Day" guideline for drinking water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

I haven't been logging my water in MFP, and I'm pretty sure I never did consume 8 glasses a day. Are there reasons one might want to log this?
    No good reasons. I drink about 4-6 glasses a day. The six is on days when I am outside sweating in the heat.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Drink at least two liters everyday.

Reason:
    To stay hydrated
    Because my body likes it
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    8 a day is a guideline. Truthfully it goes up and down depending on weather, exercise and foods you eat. When I eat lots of watermelon and cucumbers, I will not need that much water. The color of your urine and frequency of needing to go is the best way to tell if you need to drink more.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water (often > 8 glasses a day), because I live in a warmer climate and I work-out.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    aletupe wrote: »

Well I like my water, veg, fruits, beverages and I recognise thirst signals easily so I've never felt compelled to monitor my fluid intake. Some people might struggle with their intake so it helps them to have some sort of guideline I guess.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i find it very hard to drink that much water
    for every glass of water it means that i need to wee twice
    so i need to plan my water around times i am at home
    i have my fitbit sent me alarms to tell me to drink water
    its working ATM
  • Dit84
    Dit84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink 1.5 litres - 3 litres a day!!
    My friends say I have a problem :D
    I say the more you drink, the more you shrink!!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    There's no doubt that fluid is good for you but drinking it in excess is not necessary. You can actually overdo water consumption. Go by your urine as was said above.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/03/25/3970308.htm
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    "Drink at least eight glasses of water a day." Really? Is there scientific evidence for "8 x 8"?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12376390
    No scientific studies were found in support of 8 x 8. Rather, surveys of food and fluid intake on thousands of adults of both genders, analyses of which have been published in peer-reviewed journals, strongly suggest that such large amounts are not needed because the surveyed persons were presumably healthy and certainly not overtly ill.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot more than 8. I drink a glass each hour. I don't know about the sciency health stuff and all, but I know drinking it like this makes me binge less.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've read multiple sources that you are supposed to drink half body weight in water so it could actually be More than 64 oz a day.

One example
    http://www.umsystem.edu/newscentral/totalrewards/2014/06/19/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink/
  • pxalpha97
    pxalpha97 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day because it stops me from drinking other things like soda, beer, liquor, etc. So while there may or may not be scientific proof behind the 8 glasses of water per day, it does help in my weight loss and healthy lifestyle journey.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There has never been any scientific basis for drinking eight glasses a day. It's one of those silly things that got started somewhere and then people who don't know any better repeat it ad nauseam. And every once in awhile some new study is published supporting a fact that's already well established. Yes, you need to stay hydrated. That will require various amounts of fluid depending on your size, age, activity level, the heat/humidity, etc. Many factors. Keep in mind that we get fluid from the foods we eat, too. Many fruits and some veggies have a very high water content. As well as fruits and veggies, things like coffee, tea, sports drinks, smoothies--all count toward your total fluid intake.

As someone mentioned earlier, too much water can be harmful to health. It's not a good idea IMO to get some preconceived idea in ones head that you should drink X amount per day.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I drink about 100oz of fluid each day. But, I live in Florida and spend a lot of time un-air-conditioned. I do a lot of computer work sitting on the pool deck in the shade. I also just enjoy beverages, the taste and texture, the same way some folks enjoy foods. I can spend 45 minutes making and enjoying a cup of tea, because tea is art for me. Sometimes when I feel hungry, I'm actually thirsty. Drinking a few ounces before eating lets me test that little issue before perhaps eating unnecessary calories.

If adding that fluid is beneficial, do it. But you really can overdo it. Providing there are no skin issues, check to see if your lips are soft. Are they soft and plump or dry and ridged? If they're dry and ridged, you might need some fluid. Might. Like everything else, bodies vary. Play with it to see what works for you.
  • EBurt94
    EBurt94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saying water is not important is just plain stupid, water consumption amounts change per individual need. Water is an important component of many chemical reactions either as something added to the reactants or as the molecule resulting from the reaction. Water is the universal solvent in the human body, and virtually all the chemical reactions of physiology occur in water. Over 75 percent of the body is water. Is water important? I think so but overdoing it can have harmful effects as well but we are talking large amounts of water.
  • 1299batman
    1299batman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I read about drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but like others I have not seen real data on it. I can tell you this, after a day of fishing and working out, I neglected my water intake and I went to the ER for dehydration. Still learning at 54 years old, btw the ambulance bill is not a fun.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There are several things you don't have to do, but suffer the consequences later. Drinking 64oz/day is a guideline, mostly geared towards the elderly and who do not drink nearly enough water.
    You will never find scientific evidence to support this as the population is too diverse and there are too many variables to incorporate.

If you don't want to drink 8x8oz water, don't do it.