Going good to a gym for the first time.

Options
So I am not really new to mfp but I am more on a mission this time to get in shape. I have 2 kids and after the second I couldn't seem to lose weight. Then I quit smoking which I gained some weight from. I am currently 157 and would like to get down to at least 136 which is my bmi. Today I signed up for my first gym membership. I usually run/walk 3 miles around my hood or do the p90x dad's I have but have been getting bored with it. So pretty much I am trying to figure out what everyone else does while at the gym.(I know work out hahaha)
Any advice you have for me?
What is everyone favorite machine or exercise to do?
And anything else you have to say or tell me.
Thanks!

Replies

• bansheecry
    bansheecry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dvds not dads
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I want to go to a gym so badly, but I am a coward, I'll admit it. I obviously have no advice for you, but come back and post how your first visit went!
  • bansheecry
    Options
    :smile: I know how you feel. I have agoraphobia but have been pushing myself out of my comfort zone. The only thing that sucks is going alone. If I went with someone I feel like I'd feel more at ease. I feel like I am going to just stay on the treadmill the whole time because it's what I know.
    I will definitely post updates about going.
    Hopefully do u can push yourself to go as well!
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I find the elliptical more challenging than the treadmill, and I have progressively increased time and resistance. The ones at my gym are easy enough even for a twit like me to work out. I suggest you ask the gym staff for advice on how the kit works, though - it's what they are there for!
  • bansheecry
    Options
    Thank you I will make sure to do that. I set up an appointment with a personal trainer since I get a free one once a year. Hopefully he can show methe ropes. I feel like the elliptical is more my type of machine because I run for work and do 3 miles 3 days a week and get bored very easily.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If I could offer some advice, it would be don't just focus on the cardio machines. Strength training is so important. Head into the weights section of the gym and start a workout. Even if you aren't comfortable yet doing a lifting routine, start on the circuits (there will be a number of machines set up in a circuit that you can do), and do a 40-45 minute session 3 times a week. As you get used to it, I'd strongly recommend starting a progressive lifting program. You'll be amazed at how your body changes.

I was scared spitless when I first joined the gym, and especially of the weights area. Thought for sure I would make a fool of myself there. But after a few times I realized that no one else focuses on you, everyone does their own thing, and just wants to get through their own workouts.

Good luck. Enjoy!
  • paulvmax
    paulvmax Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Squat Rack