Does the stomach shrink? Lol

Options
Odd question I know, but I have been trying to watch my calorie intake over the last few weeks and it seems as though I cannot eat like I used to. Is this a physical response from my body or is it mostly mental with my body realizing I'm not as hungry as I once was?? I hope that made sense.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's what I found online when I googled the question:

"2. Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan."
  • buckmaster299
    buckmaster299 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ahh. Good ole Google. Thanks for that info. I sorta figured that was what happens.
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I recognize feeling full differently since I changed how and what I eat. There's "ah thats better, don't feel hungry anymore", then there's "yup i'm done now, for reals" and lastly there's "oh god i've made a terrible mistake". The trouble is a lot of us think that last one is what "full" means.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    We have receptors in the stomach that can adapt to new levels of fullness, but the stomach will not shrink.

(:
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    Very true. I splurged last week and ate 2 pcs of pizza a 2in by 3in piece of cookie cake and a cupcake and about 5min l8r I was like OMG I'm dying... That is when I really realized that my body is changing what it feels as full now days. Used to I would eat that and be just fine. But not now. Haha. I like it though. Now I just gotta work on healthier choices. I know that ppl say healthier food makes u feel fuller also bc ur body doesn't require as much for same amount of calories needed. Not sure how true the science is behind it but it makes sense. Lol
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    200 calories of low calorie, nutrient dense, high volume food will fill you up more than 200 calories of high calorie low volume food.

You'd get to eat ᤾1 lb 4 oz of raw broccoli for 200 calories. Or, you can have a snickers candy bar (a little less than 1.5 oz) for 250 calories

92152203.png
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I do not know why but I can eat and eat carbs but when it is fats I have to just push it back long before I would have to push back carbs. It is like carbs does not trip the Full button like fats do.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I do not know why but I can eat and eat carbs but when it is fats I have to just push it back long before I would have to push back carbs. It is like carbs does not trip the Full button like fats do.

Same here. I have two standard cooler weather breakfasts about the same calories (381 vs. 386) - one is one serving of steel cut oatmeal, 227 g plain non-fat greek yogurt and 150 g blueberries, and one is 2 large eggs fried in .5 tsp of butter with a half a small avocado (73g this morning) & 15g "simply" ketchup (not so much sugar) over slice of toasted hearty whole wheat bread. The second breakfast holds me MUCH longer. The only thing I was distressed about was this morning's "cooler weather" lol.
  • buckmaster299
    Options
    Very Interesting. I'm still perfecting my breakfast lunch and dinner thing as I work nights and my schedule is not typical of a day shift worker. Lol.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Not for me

I need a good balance of macros to feel sated and not deprived

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Not for me

I need a good balance of macros to feel sated and not deprived

+1
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not physically. But it compensates for less food later on. When I started eating less again, I found it really hard to get full on 1200-1400 calories a day. Fast forward 2 weeks, and now I have to add in things that are more calorie dense because I struggle to meet that goal.
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Thats a known and documented response that the name of I cannot recall. Oral processing time, perhaps? Snack makers actually design around that. For example, puffed corn snacks like Cheetos, generate a certain mouth feel such that your satiation response is severely dulled. Thats why you can mindlessly eat a whole bag and not have much of a physical response to stop. In contrast, if you tried to eat the same amount of calories in something like cheese or peanut butter or chicken, you'd feel full and satiated long before you hit the whole bag of cheetos level.