Lemon in water?

Hey guys,

Now that I've re-launched myself into MFP, I've got a bunch of questions concerning things that I've read online / heard from other people / etc...

The one that affects me most and the most recent I've heard is about lemon juice: that it helps burn calories and acts as an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory. So...good at burning fat and helps with acne (both things I'm trying to get rid of!) is this true? Are there people out there that have tips on the use of lemon juice? I was thinking of putting it in the water I'm drinking every day (about 3 liters or 12 cups), or would this just be a waste of calories?

Thanks!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    It doesn't help burn calories at all? If it did, there wouldn't be an obesity problem.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Lemon juice make water more palatable to those who want to flavor it a bit. That is it. No other advantages.

At 4 calories per tablespoon, there is no reason not to add it if you want. Just count the calories if you chooses to add it and add sweetener.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Lemon juice will not help you burn calories. However, there is a lot about putting lemon in your water to help you detoxify. I don't know about it actually working.

Here are some facts:

- Drinking 8 8 oz glasses of water does improve the look of your skin
    - Drinking water keeps you hydrated
    - Adding Lemon to your water gives you a little bit of flavor, not a whole lot of calories
    - Adding Lemon to your water adds a little bit of vitamin C
    - Vitamin C boosts your immune system

Will adding lemon help you burn calories probably not, will it help detoxify you, I don't know. Will it help flavor the water and possible make you drink more, possibly.

I have done the lemon in the water, the water plain, etc. and seen very little difference between the 2. However, I get bored with plain water, so adding lemon helps me drink more sometimes.

FYI, I have also done apple cinnamon that was really good too.

Most of the stuff out there on these types of things is anecdotal and has had very limited research. In most cases it won't hurt you to try it, but be cautious and see if there are actual studies behind the recommendation. Check who funded them, where they came from and how many people involved. One study funded by lemon growers with 25 people does not prove much.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    lemon juice in water makes a flavored water

it is used in cleaners to kill bacteria (many citrus oils are used in this manner) but ingesting it does not work as a antibacterial agent

I can't imagine it helping with inflammation. I think a lot of things are labeled as such as fibro is so frequently diagnosed nowadays.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    It's unlikely that a lemon wedge in a glass of water will do much at all to help or hurt you.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Lemon in water works because the ascorbic acid is a mild diuretic--not because it helps burn calories. So, at best, you're losing water weight--and maybe flushing out some sodium.

Personally, I can't stand lemon in my water. But if a wedge of lemon makes it easier for you to consume your daily water goal, why not?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/526958-side-effects-of-drinking-too-much-lemon-with-water/
  • fabmrfox89
    fabmrfox89 Posts: 7 Member
    I was skeptical too! Thanks everyone!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    besides tasting great you don't have to worry about scurvy
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    edited August 2015
    Lemon is a very nutritious seasoning, I like to put lemon on steamed veggies, pancakes (with syrup), in water, and in tea! It is full of vit. c and potassium and aids digestion, and cleans the liver. I recommend.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,242 Member

Could just eat a balanced diet including plenty of fruit and vegetables and/or juices. ;)

But, sure, if you like lemon flavoured water, do it.
    Just don't think it has any magical properties.

And I prefer my water plain anyway.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Lemon has some vitamin c, which is good for you. And that's it. For you to get the vitamin c, you need to eat/drink the lemon as soon as you cut it or squeeze it. So, no cooking, boiling or preparing lemon water and drinking it hours later. If you do like the taste, go for it. It will not hurt and it will help with your vitamin intake. If not, there are other fruit rich in vitamin C. It will not help with weight loss. Lemons are supposed to be good for your skin if you have acne, as long as you use them on your skin, not drink them.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    I don't think lemon juice has any magical weight loss power, but I do put sliced lemon in my water because I like the taste. That's about it.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    jadowns wrote: »
    Lemon is a very nutritious seasoning, I like to put lemon on steamed veggies, pancakes (with syrup), in water, and in tea! It is full of vit. c and potassium and aids digestion, and cleans the liver. I recommend.

Lemon does not clean the liver.

• TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    well i enjoy lemon slices [or lime] in my water. makes it easier to drink all those ounces.

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited August 2015
    It's a mild diuretic, so it might help you shed a small amount of water weight. I put it in flat water because it makes it easier for me to drink. (I don't add it to carbonated water/sparkling water/seltzer/whatever you choose to call it.) Both times I was pregnant and retaining water like crazy, my OB told me, among other things, to drink lemon water because it would help with it. My feet still looked like Fred Flintstone, so I have no idea if it did anything, but I find that when I put lemon in my water, I tend to drink the amount of water that I should be drinking (as opposed to way too little).

I don't like using lemon juice because it is a bit much, but I buy True Lemon packets (it's just crystallized lemon) in bulk off of Amazon. That way I don't have to keep actual lemons on hand. I discovered it when I picked up some take-out and found it by the iced tea and straws and such.

Off-topic - I love your dog nose profile pic!
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    I like lemon/lime in water sometimes. I do find that it helps with sweet cravings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    it has some diuretic effects and tastes good...other than that, no...it's not a magic fat burning potion or anything.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    jadowns wrote: »

Lemon does not clean the liver.

What if you're cooking liver and using a lemon wedge to season it? I'd imagine it'd be pretty clean after that. Always scrub your livers with lemon wedges before cooking, guys.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member

Could just eat a balanced diet including plenty of fruit and vegetables and/or juices. ;)

Not if I'm on a schooner for 6months sailing to the new world avast ye mateys
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Let's start from scratch, there are no magic properties in ANY food. This includes lemons.

We often put lemon juice in water to improve the taste. The only thing it does is improve the taste.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    The only thing it does is improve the taste.

And even that is debatable. I think lemon in water is gross.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    It's tasty but that's about it. I usually drink a couple tablespoons in my water daily, it's refreshing in ice water. But as a weight loss agent, nope.