Need advice on helping a friend get fit

Hello!

I have a friend who is really keen to start working out with me. I was going to start her on t25 as this is what got me from couch potato to insanity. The thing is, I was skinny fat when I did it. My friend is obese. Would this program be too intense for her? I don't want to scare her off exercise.

I know there is a modifier but is there maybe another program that would be more appropriate for her?

Thanks for your advice :)

Replies

• shadland2014
    shadland2014 Posts: 14 Member
    I was reading up about this as I am starting it when I get back from holiday in September. Having been doing 30 day shred until now. The blogs suggest that this is fine for a larger person and they can just take it at their own pace until they build up to it. They can maybe take little breaks if required.
  • SlickStrives
    SlickStrives Posts: 4 Member
    I personally have a rather obese family and I can say if your friend is really wanting to exercise its going to have to be on her terms and I would strongly recommend just walking briskly. Being obese in itself makes your body work hard which is already good if your walking. I would also recommend that, like in any weight loss situation, the calorie intake is on point.

When my family member wanted to start working out with me we started doing a running program and it was working but it was to much for her size. She is now making sure her calories are on point and walking a little bit a day and has been doing this for 2 months now rather than just a week. Just my opinion though! =D
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    I would second walking!

It's a good starting point to help beginners get out of the house and moving and it's not too daunting. I'm sure she'll appreciate the company and will soon be ready to progress onto something else.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Start with walking swimming or bike riding at her own pace or anything else she enjoys and involves movement. Progress up on terms of duration and intensity. Keep track of progress and then she can step it up later. Finding something she can manage is better thna tryong a program that works for you but she struggles with and gets frustrated by.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Start with walking swimming or bike riding at her own pace or anything else she enjoys and involves movement. Progress up on terms of duration and intensity. Keep track of progress and then she can step it up later. Finding something she can manage is better thna tryong a program that works for you but she struggles with and gets frustrated by.

+1

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited August 2015
    I agree with starting with the walking. Couch to 5k would be great. As well as the exercise it helps get in the mindset of exercising 3 times a week and building good habits.

Remember to concentrate on diet for weight loss.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Let your friend decide for herself.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    I completely second walking 3-4 times a week for up to half an hour followed by the couch to 5k.