cardio folks, do you have this? postural hypotension - getting dizzy when you stand up

Options
2»

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I've had it all my life, too. Not much can be done. I learned to always stand up slowly, and I try to hold on to a table when I stand up in case my vision blacks out for a few seconds.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't get dizzy but I have borderline low blood pressure too from doing a lot of cardio. If you don't eat much salt (because it's considered unhealthy) you could probably add some back into your diet, as you'll be sweating more than other people.
  • GraemeMcC
    GraemeMcC Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    See a Dr. When I saw mine about this they put it down to dehydration and sure enough it disappeared when I drank more. It only ever came about when I upped my running.

Everyone is different though, so you should never accept someone else's diagnosis as your own.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    So, I run typically every day, for at least around a 1/2 hour, and often more. I've been averaging about 30-35 miles per week for awhile now.

My resting heart rate is around the mid-50s. It used to be higher.

Weight is now in normal BMI range.

I've found that as I've gotten leaner and the more I run, the more I have this problem of getting very dizzy, occasionally to the point where I feel I might faint, when I stand up from a crouching position.

It's kind of messed with my work a tad. I work in a hospital and I've had a practice for years where I would crouch by patients in their wheelchairs or hospital beds to chat with them. Used to be I would just stand up and then immediately move on. Now if I do that it seems like I'm liable to black out.

Any runners, bikers, cardio folks also have this problem as they've been getting more in shape?

I've noticed it. I just don't make sudden change in positions. It's probably benign, but you probably shouldn't self-diagnose, either. Just mention it at your next PCP visit so that you can know safely that it's alright.