Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Question for women who primarily strength train...

I've been strength training just about 2 years now. The first year was solely with a trainer and I made some good progress. The last year I've been mostly maintaining, but I want to make more progress. I'm looking for tips/workouts suggestions to bring it up a notch and I don't want to waste my time with isolated exercises and cardio. Any good tips out there? I've got about an hour 3x a week, maybe a bit more.

Replies

• krbzyf
    krbzyf Posts: 9 Member
    what do you normally do? machines or free weights? how many reps and sets?
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Is your goal to gain muscle mass, or endurance ect...?
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    I want muscle, strength and shape, not so interested in endurance. I use primarily free weights, but do use the smith machine for my squats. Some days if I'm completely braindead I'll use a few of the machines, but I try to stay away from them.

I've been trying to lift heavy and do 3 sets of 10. With my squats I try to start higher (18-20) and add weight and lower reps with each set.
  • krbzyf
    krbzyf Posts: 9 Member
    I would up your weight some and do two sets of 8 also superset it with another workout with a quick turn around. Also, incorporate something like cycling or yoga in your no training days.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    If you are looking for a routine completely laid out for you, I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women." My friend and I are doing these workouts now (this is my second go at this book, I got pregnant the first time I was doing it and had to give it up) and they are AWESOME!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    I did see that a group of people on this site are using it. I am curious about their results. I'll have to nose around a bit and pick up a copy I think.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    I would say start increasing your weight that you are lifting and maybe do some plyo exercises. I lift pretty heavy also and plyo exercises KILL me!!
  • Have you tried a body pump class?? i do this upto 3 times a week and other classes too like boxersize and i have noticed a big change in my arms and shoulders!!I do lift quite heavy in body pump tho esp in squats as this should always be your heavier weight! I do tend to stay away from the macines in the gym as they can allow ya to become lazy!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Up your weights and lower your sets. If you do one set at your heaviest weight max out between the 8 and 12 set you are good. Stick to one to two sets.