Getting Discouraged...

Options
I am getting very discouraged. I am stuck in a plateau after losing only 18 lbs and still having a lot left to go (over 50). I ramped up my exercise and went from 1 hour a day to 2. I watch my diet and drink TONS of water. I don't have measurements but I think my clothes are looser than a week ago- just don't know by how much. I
don't know why it's still holding. But every time I get on the scale it's such a disappointment. I am working so hard and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Thoughts???

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    have you "switched" up your routine? I mean chenge exercises, not doing the same thing. I ahve read quite abit about switching up routines to "shock the body"

maybe find a new routine or switch to weights or cardio, something different.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Throw the scales away for a while. Hide them. They are pointless for the most part anyway. As I said to someone the other day - unless you are printing up T-shirts with your weight on them, no one knows what that # is anyway! The NSV's are the important part! Do you FEEL better? Can you exercise longer, go further, do moves better, etc? Do you have more energy? Is your mood better? I can assure you that other factors like your blood pressure, blood sugar, heart rate, etc are improving! Honestly - if I could fit into my goal size and the # on the scale said 500 - I could care less. For women it's especially tricky. My bff (also on this site) started exercising rigorously 6 weeks ago and for 48 days didn't have a period. After a while it started to affect her weight loss - scale didn't move for 2 weeks. Then in a week she lost 3 lbs! So don't focus on a silly number. You ARE making progress!! :flowerforyou:
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Consider that possibility that you aren't eating enough calories, especially with such an extreme amount of exercise--two hours a day is really a lot. Your getting into elite athlete range there. Also, look at the amount of carbohydrates you eat. Emphasize protein, some fat, and only high fiber carbs. Get rid of starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits (tropical fruits that are mostly sugar).
  • bex481
    bex481 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do p90x (on day 35!) and have begun doing the 30 day shred and also added walking daily. Maybe if I try jogging instead of walking? I don't know...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at a plateau? It's completely normal to have a week or two where the scale stays flat, especially if you've been losing for awhile.
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    don't give up.... my wife has been stuck for 3 weeks even though we measure each week and she is losing inches she is still frustrated that they scale won't budge. Like MellowGa stated switch things up... do some strength training if you are doing strength training try training how a bodybuilder would for a week or so (you won't bulk up... trust me)... have a cheat meal (one cheat meal not an entire weeks worth) do something different... anything really.

I can't get my wife to... she is comfortable with her routine... she knows what to do and she likes that... I try to explain to her that you have to do stuff that you don't know exactly what is going to try to shock your body into letting go of the fat.

then again i could just be muscle that she is hanging on to because she is lifting with me... I don't know that is what is so frustrating about losing weight. Just don't give up

ar123033279618035.jpg
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't know the difference between muscle lost and fat loss so its not a good tool to utilize in reality. Take your measurements and get your body fat tested. These will tell you if you are losing fat and gaining lean muscle.

Upping your exercise may not be the answer. Sometimes too much exercise can be just as bad if you aren't eating enough to supply your body with the energy it needs to function. Everything you eat could be getting stored and used as energy versus your body tapping into the sources you already have.

Make sure you are consuming enough food to maintain your daily body functions as well as the additional exercise. Then look at the type of exercise you are doing. Maybe adding HIIT & strength training into your routine may help (assuming your haven't already added these).

Hopefully these suggestions will help. Good luck to you.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    2 hours a day? Wow. I would feel discouraged if I wasn't dropping weight like crazy too. You really aren't benefitting your weight loss doing that. 45 mins of good exercise combined with a non-sedentary lifestyle (ie lots of walking) is quite enough unless you are training as an athlete. Probably your body is very confused about why it is getting punished and your muscles will be getting bigger quickly, which means they will be holding water and also even if you are losing fat, it is getting replaced with denser muscle mass. You need to find a workout routine that is sustainable. 2 hours per day isn't! Chances are after a while you will get really discouraged and quit, whereas if you're doing 30-50 mins a day 5-6 days a week you can keep at it for long enough that you will see the weight come off, slowly but surely.
  • bex481
    bex481 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great advice!