Need suggestions on what to eat at 7-11

Options
Ok. I have a problem and need all the advice I can get. I woke up late this morning (not feeling good) and rushed out of the house without my dinner entree. I work my full time job until 5 then have to be at my part time job at 5:30 and work until 10. The part time job is at 7-11 so there's not a very good selection of healthy food to eat for dinner. What should I get to eat since I won't have time to go to Subway for a sub between jobs?

The main problem is I won't be able to go get the stuff and besides that I don't get paid until tomorrow so I'm out of money and options for nearby places. I have to deal with 7-11 stuff that I can write off or payroll. Ugh!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When I am forced to eat food from a convenience store, I choose from:

-refrigerated cheese sticks
    -as high of protein granola bar as i can tolerate spending the money on
    -beef sticks
    -milk
    -hummus and cracker things, if they have something like that
    -fruit and veggies, if available
    -P3 or lunchables, if available
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Their sandwiches can be better than you expect.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Does your store have boiled eggs? Our gas station / convenience stores usually have boiled eggs and bananas. I'd probably start there and add a granola bar and possibly some milk too.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Our 7-11 has bananas and apples, yogurt, cheese sticks, milk, small "lunchable" type things (but not that brand) with ham and cheese...Some combination of that kind of thing would at least fill you up, even it wasn't terribly interesting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Ours is forever pushing the $1 hot dogs. I swear, those people must work on commission, the way they push those dogs.

I've never eaten the sandwiches, pizza or hot dogs at the 7-11.

If I had to get food there, I'd probably go with Stouffer's.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Eat anything that fits your calorie goals and will fill you up. Beef jerky, cheese, fruits, etc...

The other solution is to stop living paycheck to paycheck (and anyone can do it, it is just harder for some than others). Your financial life works the same way as your weight life. Cash in vs Cash out (CICO) and your goal should be a healthy savings account. Use a program like Mint or YNAB and it is the equivalent of MFP.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yeah easier said than done. I'm a single mom of 2 teens.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I save money in my budget by packing foods. Sometimes for even 2-3 day periods (as in, I pack 2-3 days worth of food in my cooler to eat while I travel. It's only 4500 calories or so total. Most gas stations and convenience stores will let me refill my water bottle with ice which I use to freshen my little cooler when the freezer packs aren't frozen anymore). Getting caught with only fast food or convenience store food as my only (and expensive) option doesn't help my bottom or my bottom line, personally.
  • Terri70
    Options
    All good advice. Thanks y'all!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was a single mom of two teens. Hard but not impossible. How you switch from paycheque to paycheque is to cash in on one savings somewhere. It might mean buying a set of clothes at the second-hand store, or taking the bus instead of a cab. I'm not saying never buy new or take a cab ever again; just do it once in a while to build yourself a reserve of cash. Use the savings to buy a staple in bulk the next time it is on sale. Eventually you have enough cash on reserve to only buy on sale and in bulk. Now you have a pantry full of staples that you can turn in to all sorts of meals. I credit my half-size freezer as one of the best investments that I made at that time.

I filled up my teens for their after-school snacks on chinese noodles and canned beans. We still had a nutritious dinner.

To teach them budgeting skills before I launched them out on their own, I gave them the clothing and recreation budget monthly. If they ended up dressing in rags, so be it. Both of them first reacted with joy, then quickly turned in to misers as they hoarded that wealth for what they really wanted. Their tastes changed overnight from (what's the fab store these days; is the Gap still big?) to Army & Navy. My daughter hand-washed everything to keep it nice longer. Both are still frugal to this day.

MFP and these stories have taken me back to those days; quite nostalgic lately. It emboldened me to approach my neighbour who has an apple tree. I asked if I could pick the apples and I would reward them with some home-made applesauce. Gosh, I love those free apples. I've filled up my bucket a second time already.

I have picked up at the 7-ll the Muscle Milk, single serving cheese slice, beef jerky, protein bar, and popcorn with the white cheddar. I like the other poster's suggestion to grab a sandwich.
  • bedfordandgrove
    bedfordandgrove Posts: 11 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »

I admire that you are working 2 jobs, yet are still making losing weight and being healthy a priority! You sound like a very hard worker that doesn't make excuses. Keep up the good work, I hope you realize that you are an inspiration! Bless you and your kids :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Is a 7-11 like any convenient store? You can have a can of tuna, a yogurt, can of soup, maybe a banana? I feel like there are a lot of choices. Unless I'm confusing a 7-11 for a typical bodega.
  • Jazzysoul
    Jazzysoul Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I too am a single mom of 2. One in college and the other just entering high school. It's tough that's for sure. You are an inspiration in that you are determined to stick to your healthy lifesytle despite finanical obstacles. Good luck to you and I hope your finanical situation improves soon!

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options

I have no doubt it is harder for some and it won't be an overnight change. Just like weight loss isn't easy for everyone and isn't an overnight change. I have no doubt that if you actually tracked your expenses you could find $50 you could save without really affecting your standard of living. A few months later and you have a small savings to handle small bumps in the road or take advantage of deals. Work some more on it, and all of a sudden you are saving $100/month, then $200, and so on.

Of course, you could always take drastic measures, like downsizing your living or car environment, or even giving away 3 or even all 4 of your pets.

Less financial stress on your life will make everything else easier to deal with, including health and fitness.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have no doubt it is harder for some and it won't be an overnight change. Just like weight loss isn't easy for everyone and isn't an overnight change. I have no doubt that if you actually tracked your expenses you could find $50 you could save without really affecting your standard of living. A few months later and you have a small savings to handle small bumps in the road or take advantage of deals. Work some more on it, and all of a sudden you are saving $100/month, then $200, and so on.

Of course, you could always take drastic measures, like downsizing your living or car environment, or even giving away 3 or even all 4 of your pets.

Less financial stress on your life will make everything else easier to deal with, including health and fitness.

This is 0% helpful and so was your first response to the OP. Her question was what to eat at 7-11 TODAY because she FORGOT her dinner (which she had already paid for since it came from her kitchen). Why in the world would you think to lecture her on budgeting? Sheesh.

My three kids started school this week--one in college--and I depleted every last bit of my savings to buy school supplies and tuition (community college). If I forgot my lunch one day I'd probably go hungry because there is NO extra cash to spend on ANYTHING this month.

OP, if I had to eat at 7-11, I'd go for a banana, a yogurt, and a sandwich or hot dog. It's still within my calorie limit, and even though hot dogs aren't the best nutrition-wise, they do taste good!

• Terri70
    Options
    Wow! What timing. I ended up having to take my daughter home so I was able to grab a dinner entree! YAY! I lost time here at work but I can use leave to cover it. lol I was an hour and fifteen minutes late this morning so that ate up my lunch time. No biggie! So happy now!

Thank you so much for your words of advice when I was in desperation! I truly appreciate it!
  • Terri70
    Options
    rockmama72 wrote: »

This is 0% helpful and so was your first response to the OP. Her question was what to eat at 7-11 TODAY because she FORGOT her dinner (which she had already paid for since it came from her kitchen). Why in the world would you think to lecture her on budgeting? Sheesh.

My three kids started school this week--one in college--and I depleted every last bit of my savings to buy school supplies and tuition (community college). If I forgot my lunch one day I'd probably go hungry because there is NO extra cash to spend on ANYTHING this month.

OP, if I had to eat at 7-11, I'd go for a banana, a yogurt, and a sandwich or hot dog. It's still within my calorie limit, and even though hot dogs aren't the best nutrition-wise, they do taste good!

Thanks a lot!