Fitbit help

Options
hi, I've just recieved my zip Fitbit in the post and gone about setting it up, even though I havnt took a step it's saying I've burned 538 calories today (I've not long woke up so it would be a miracle if I have !) how do I reset it to zero, what's it going on about? Also what is the plastic black but that comes with it there's no instructions in the box :( Tia!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't want to reset it to 0, I mean you haven't burnt 0 calories today! Have you definitely put all your stats in right? What time is it where you are?
  • islarose05
    islarose05 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi , it's 8.54 am Calgary canada, I've only just turned it on abd it asked for weight height gender and that's it? Where's it getting that info from just from basic stats? I've not long got up so it's definitely not right, steps taken is still at zero?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The reason it says that is because your body still needs calories just to exist, even if you're asleep or in a coma. This amount is called your Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR and that is what your Fitbit is estimating. It's saying that from midnight until right now your body has used about 500 calories keeping yourself alive, pumping blood, breathing, etc, even if you were asleep.

Your Fitbit will allot you more calories burned if you're active, of course, but it also includes these base ones to give you a estimation for the entire day.

Edited to add: Every single morning I wake up with 300-odd calories burned showing on my Fitbit. By the end of the day it's usually around 2000. That doesn't mean I've done 2000 calories worth of exercise, that just means that, between the calories my body needs to stay alive AND the ones I've burned from walking, moving, doing stuff, I've burned about 2000.

If I lay in bed all day, it's still around 1200, because my body still needs some fuel to maintain its functions.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    If you haven't put your stats in then it's probably just going by some default stats. Put all your stats in and see what it says.
  • islarose05
    Options
    Yes I've put all the stats in it asked me to. So then every time I go for a big walk and want to know how many calories I burnt I have to make a note of what's already on there and then deduct it when I finish excercise? It just seems daft I bought this thing to see how many calories I burned while excercisibg so I can update my fitness pal journal accurately, not what's going on while I'm asleep lol!!
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Link it to MFP and it automatically adds on calories that you've burned.
  • peleroja
    Options
    islarose05 wrote: »
    Yes I've put all the stats in it asked me to. So then every time I go for a big walk and want to know how many calories I burnt I have to make a note of what's already on there and then deduct it when I finish excercise? It just seems daft I bought this thing to see how many calories I burned while excercisibg so I can update my fitness pal journal accurately, not what's going on while I'm asleep lol!!

That's not how a Fitbit is intended to be used. You're supposed to wear it all day and allow it to calculate for you, not use it just to track extra exercise calories.

Link it to your MFP account as the above poster suggested and it will do the work for you.
  • peleroja
    Options
    You might also want to look at this link for some more information about how to use your Fitbit in conjunction with MFP.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The number fitbit gives you automatically is your entire daily burn - including all the sleeping bit. You can use it to track exercise as well. If you do that then it will give you a record for your walks, and you'll be able to see how many steps you took, calories burned etc during the time you were walking.

The fitbit group on here as loads of information on how fitbit works and how it works with MFP. But the short reply is just leave the two synced - then there is no need to update your exercise in MFP (you will need to add non-step based activity to fitbit) because it'll be done for you.
  • islarose05
    Options
    Thankyou really appreciate advice! So I've linked the Fitbit to this account I think, and read this article but wanted to ask, so where as yesterday I would manually add excercise for eg, 1 hours brisk walk abd I would guess calories at 200 burned and input into mfp, so I don't need to do this now? How will the Fitbit know how long I've been walking for if there's no start/end time ? I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick this is all totally over my head!!
  • DemoraFairy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thankyou really appreciate advice! So I've linked the Fitbit to this account I think, and read this article but wanted to ask, so where as yesterday I would manually add excercise for eg, 1 hours brisk walk abd I would guess calories at 200 burned and input into mfp, so I don't need to do this now? How will the Fitbit know how long I've been walking for if there's no start/end time ? I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick this is all totally over my head!!

No you don't need to add it, it'll add the calories automatically.

When you signed up to MFP you gave it an activity level - sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc. Each one of these has a rough step count associated with it, and when you go over that many steps Fitbit will automatically start adding on the extra calories.
  • islarose05
    Options
    Thankyou I'm starting to understand it now, just a couple more questions how can I check on here what activity level I put me as when I first set it up so I can check its right ice gone through my account and can't find it ? Also im trying to find the Fitbit board on here I've looked through the different ones listed on community and can't see a specific Fitbit one ? Thanks !
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You can change your activity level on the MFP goals page.

This should get you to the Fitbit group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    How can I check on here what activity level I put me as when I first set it up?

Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided This is also where you choose an activity level.

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

In the MFP app, go to More > Steps and choose Fitbit.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments. No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip that I only want to use to count my steps. That's it! Yet even though I log in x number of steps, when it syncs to my computer it reduces the amount of steps. I called their customer service and they weren't very helpful. I'll try again and see if I get someone knowledgeable.