Why the belly?

Options
I've never accumulated too much fat on my belly, it's always been mostly thighs and hips. Which is why when I started getting a chubby belly a few months ago I finally decided to start dieting. So far I've been slowly but steadily losing weight which is great, except that... now i have a very big belly!! It's squishy and looks and feels bigger than ever, even though the scale says I am losing weight.
They say that the first to gain is the last to lose, so i should, in theory, lose my belly first, and the thighs last, right?

Any ideas of why that is and how I can change it?

Further info: I eat lots of fiber (and have been quite regular in that department), and have not been drinking much beer lately, and I've been drinking lots and lots and lots of water. I have not been exercising apart from walking to class, and at the moment I simply cannot fit any exercise routine into my schedule (I am approaching the deadlines on my MA course and have therefore other priorities – anything that takes longer than 5 or 10 minutes is impossible).

Replies

• kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi luisabaeta

Sounds to me like you might need to incorporate some cardio and strength training into your routine. I know it can be hard especially when you've got work and tight deadlines but even 20 minutes a day can make a huge, huge difference. You're losing the weight now you need to start toning & strengthening the muscles.

I know you've probably seen a lot of threads on here about dvd's etc but if you've got only limited time during the day when don't you get something like the 30 day shred (Jillian Michaels). I'm doing it at the moment and it's 20 minutes and you will know you're worked out by the end of it. I've been doing it everyday and it really, is worth putting a little time aside to get the results.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    There have been some very good suggestions so far. Here's a little bit more to think about too.

You don't say how old you are but sometimes age changes where you store weight. As you get into your 30s or 40s the weight starts to go on round your belly, even if you never stored it there before (it's happening to me - I'm 38). Keep losing the weight and try to get in some exercise and eventually it will go

Some people gain weight round their belly when they are under stress too, even if that's not usually where you store it. Exercise will help with the stress and the weight loss and also help you to tone up. It doesn't have to be much, just regular. I've heard a lot of people mention 30 day shred so perhaps it would be worth a try. If you can't, just try to fit in as much walking as possible (instead of the car/bus, stairs instead of elevator etc) and do some lunges, squats, pushups or crunches whenever you have a couple of minutes. I do karate but often don't get chance for long practice sessions so I practice a technique while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or something to come up to heat on the stove. Every little helps :)
  • chippywelsh
    chippywelsh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Me too! It happened to me in my 40s, never used to have a belly, always thighs but now I have to work at keeping the belly under control. I do little bits of exercise whenever I can, even a couple of minutes lots of times throughout the day mounts up. I also do twisting, bending side to side and lots of hip circling - like doing the hula hoop thing. Even in bed at night a do reps of sucking my belly in and out. It definitely helps me although I still have a stone to lose before it goes and 1.5 stone to feel slim again. Hope this helps : )
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    JUst FYI- Stress is a huuuuge contributor to the formation of belly (or visceral) fat. More exercise when you have time for it, will help with both the stress and the fat. Cutting carbs will too.
  • luisabaeta
    luisabaeta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 28... could it be the approaching 30 thing?
    Stress would explain it, i've definitely been stressed lately!
    Thank you all for the advice. I'll try to fit in some abs for now, and maybe a few months time I can do more proper exercise.