Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Drinking with friends...

00nick7
00nick7 Posts: 39 Member
So, my friend is having a concert tonight and he's really looking forward to drinking with me. Now, I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since starting this app non-stop for 30 days. For those of you on here that drink, how often and do you attempt to burn it off right after or looking for an alternative beverage? I'm not sure if this place has a minimum drink requirement or anything. I've just been working hard to lower my weight and it's going great! I just know that if I knock a few beers down that can maybe add more baggage I need to burn off.

Replies

• CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    It's one night, don't worry about it too much! I try not to drink often, but it's not going to make or break your calorie goal. Just try and eat super healthy the rest of the day and drink tons of water!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    If its a one time thing and you are only going to have a drink or two once a month I would just drink what you like. One night isn't going to make or break you. If you drink frequently it's good to have an idea how many calories are in your beverages of choice and fit them in to your allotment. I frequently leave up to 400 calories for myself to drink a really nice craft beer. If I don't have many calories yet and want a drink I'll have a rum and coke zero.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    I log everything, even alcohol. You might be shocked at how much one 12 ounce bottle of beer has. Even if you go over your limit for today, enjoy it, and stick to your plan tomorrow. I drink one hard cider about two or three times a week and I enjoy it. I don't worry about burning off the calories because I incorporate that beverage into my daily calories. Suggestions could be switching from a regular beer to a light beer if you can or maybe getting a mixed drink made with diet soda. I have a friend who swears that a rum and diet coke tastes better than a rum and coke. Have fun with your friend, don't stress, and don't worry - one or two drinks won't derail you. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    00nick7 wrote: »
    So, my friend is having a concert tonight and he's really looking forward to drinking with me. Now, I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since starting this app non-stop for 30 days. For those of you on here that drink, how often and do you attempt to burn it off right after or looking for an alternative beverage? I'm not sure if this place has a minimum drink requirement or anything. I've just been working hard to lower my weight and it's going great! I just know that if I knock a few beers down that can maybe add more baggage I need to burn off.

you can't burn it off like you can other calories...you don't store calories from alcohol, they have to be metabolized immediately which ceases all other metabolic function.

i have a few drinks pretty much every evening...i have them within my overall calorie targets.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    If you're like me, then try not to go on a 3-4 day alcohol binge after letting yourself have one drink. Seriously, take it easy. If you don't have a problem with alcoholism, you should be fine just for one night. 2-3 drinks, and that's it though. It's not worth getting wasted at this age. & especially if you're trying to be healthy, it'll *kitten* up your diet the next day..
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    I agree, if you can have one or two drinks don't stress it. However, not all beverages are created equal, keep that in mind. Margarita from a restaurant is like 700 calories because of the mixer, but a shot of Patron is like 50 calories (not being exact).

Personally I will have about 3 or 4 drinks per week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Life is too short not to have fun. However, moderation is important, I feel like crap when I am overweight, so I want to lose more. I also feel like crap if drink 3 French Martini's (sick as a dog the next day) So it is a matter of balance isn't it :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Fit it into your calories. I drink 2x a week and I always just fit it in. On nights I'm going out with the girls I try and go for a long run that morning so I have a little wiggle room for that night.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    It's about making this a lifestyle. One day/night of drinking won't ruin everything. Just be conscious about how much your drink of choice is calorie wise, alternate a drink with a glass of water. Usually the things you have to watch for is what alcohol will do to you mentally, meaning late night binging on food or next day hang-over binging on food. If you can make a conscious choice to not binge, then you'll be fine.

Pick a low cal beer (like Miller Lite, Budlight, Coors light, etc.) or vodka tonic. Something that isn't terribly sweet and full of calories.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Alcohol is just a source of calories. Log it, be honest about it, and move on. I will say that I usually drink less now because I'm counting every calorie, but I still enjoy myself. I save up calories during the week so I can "spend" them on Friday or Saturday night!
  • 00nick7
    I log everything, even alcohol. You might be shocked at how much one 12 ounce bottle of beer has. Even if you go over your limit for today, enjoy it, and stick to your plan tomorrow. I drink one hard cider about two or three times a week and I enjoy it. I don't worry about burning off the calories because I incorporate that beverage into my daily calories. Suggestions could be switching from a regular beer to a light beer if you can or maybe getting a mixed drink made with diet soda. I have a friend who swears that a rum and diet coke tastes better than a rum and coke. Have fun with your friend, don't stress, and don't worry - one or two drinks won't derail you. :)

Thank for so much for your input! I never thought about switching to lite beers. But for sure next time the opportunity comes up I will follow that advice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    I drink on average maybe once a week.
    I have a few half measure spirits mixed with Pepsi Max.
    Only 35 calories per drink.
    Easy to fit into my calorie allowance.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Spirit with diet mixer in a long glass is your best bet.
  • mejod6
    mejod6 Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2015
    Although you have a goal that you're trying to reach,you also need to live your life. I personally feel that being too strict and omitting everything that you enjoy from your diet will cause you to eventually get bored and frustrated. So I think it's okay if you have a couple of drinks every now and then.

As for the alcohol,here are some suggestions of how to decrease the damage that you're doing to your diet:
    1)DO NOT eat while/after drinking. Alcohol makes you crave fatty foods and slows your metabolism because your body's priority is to burn off the alcohol calories.

2) If you're a wine drinker, go for dry whites instead of sweet reds.

3) If you're a beer drinker, find a light beer that you like and make sure not to consume more because it's light because that would be counter productive.

4) If you must snack while drinking, order a salad and have the dressing on the side.

5) lastly, this is my personal favorite as I call it the "skinny drink": 1 shot of vodka, real lemon juice (half a lemon) and sparkling water such as Perrier ( not tonic water as it has carbs).
    Pour the vodka over some ice, add the lemon juice first and mix then pour the sparkling water. You can add some lemon/lime wedges or mint leaves. Enjoy your 70 calorie drink!

*The amount of calories will differ depending on the brand of vodka that you use but it shouldn't exceed a 100 calories in any case.
  • keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    The only add I have is, be aware that when you have a few your resolve may slip. I sometimes will say, after 2 drinks, let's have a treat! Hope you enjoy/ed your friend.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Go have fun but it is calories and can add up. Last weekend in Chicago started on Thursday and I was having beer at 11:00 AM and didn't stop until Sunday night. I put on ten pounds! I have lost eight of that so far and am trying to get the last two off by Sunday. I run to make room for alcohol and have some every evening so it is possible to fit in. The best beer for flavor and lower calories is Sierra Nevada pale ale in my opinion. I can't do light beers anymore.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2015
    I try to limit myself to two drinks a night, and nothing with a super high calorie mixer. Dry red wine or something on the rocks are my favorites, as I sip those slower.
    And I have the same issue as keokagal, I will start getting the munchies the more I drink. And usually what is around is super high cal bar foos.
  • 00nick7
    rsclause wrote: »
    Go have fun but it is calories and can add up. Last weekend in Chicago started on Thursday and I was having beer at 11:00 AM and didn't stop until Sunday night. I put on ten pounds! I have lost eight of that so far and am trying to get the last two off by Sunday. I run to make room for alcohol and have some every evening so it is possible to fit in. The best beer for flavor and lower calories is Sierra Nevada pale ale in my opinion. I can't do light beers anymore.

Why is that?

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    00nick7 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »

Why is that?

"YUCK FELLOW BEER"
    I have grown to love the pale ales and IPA's from local and regional brewery's. Now if I drink a Mich Ultra it just has no taste. I usually have a 2 oz. Scotch followed by wine with dinner and finish with a beer, every night. Weekends I add some lunch beers and that is usually enough to put a couple of pounds on.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    1) I usually free up a few calories by being sure to exercise that day
    2) With me, it usually isn't the alcohol itself, but the rather the residual bad eating habits. After hours of drinking at 1:30am, I'm not seeking out grilled chicken breasts, rice, and broccoli, it is Taco Bell, gyros, chicken fingers and fries, etc. And then there is hangover food the next day, lol
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    As people have said, it's not necessarily the drinking it's the eating afterwards that goes towards the "beer belly".

Massive pepperoni pizza or fatty kebabs with all the trimmings!.