Vegetarian tips

Options
Hello! Does anyone have any low cal/healthy snacks/meals/meal plans that are vegetarian please? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    That's a super broad request! Can you be more specific? How adventurous are you? What kind of grains do you have? Do you eat tofu/seitan etc?
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Beans, legumes, chickpeas, soybeans, etc. Seriously, you have to work up your tolerance, but they are low in fat and high in protein..
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning your meal around the protein of choice and build from there. You can control the calories by reducing portion size and watching the fat content of your meals. But healthy fats (unsaturated) are good.

277688793121a154f99d38c67e862b30.jpg
  • taniaelizabeth_
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am not a fussy eater, I do like seitan/tofu etc. so willing to try any veggie food.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I just discovered baked tofu and I tell you, this is the way I'm going from now on.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463848164122/

Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Tofu is my favorite thing ever. Just sautee that stuff in the pan with some soy sauce and stevia (I like sweet and salty). Simplest thing ever.

I also eat a WHOLE lot of BEANS! Taco salads with faux meat and red kidney beans? Yum!

Oh, and breakfast for dinner is a fave. Eggs, eggs, eggs!
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Roasted spiced chickpeas are an awesome snack and salad topper.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just about anything put out by The Minimalist Baker. Super yummy, easy foods, and most of it is very healthy. Having biscuits and gravy today for breakfast, a double serving, for only 500 calories.

I'm also a big fan of chickpea salad (like mock chicken or tuna salads). Plop that on some bread with some lettuce, onion, and tomatoes. Best sandwich of all time.
  • GreenHeather2014
    GreenHeather2014 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have to second the suggestion about building your meal/snack around your protein choice. My favorite snacks involve apple slices (or carrot) and some sort of nut butter, or a bean dip with veggies. How I ever made it through childhood without hummus is beyond me. A big "thank you" to all the peoples of middle-eastern descent; that *kitten* is FABULOUS.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years, since age 18. I have no brief way to answer your question!

Snacks: Puppodums (an odd cracker-y thing from Indian food that's made with chickpea flour, low calorie, kinda protein-y, can be microwaved dry, but typically very salty). Dry-roasted edamame. Nuts in reasonable portions. One of my favorite light lunches is a whole apple, quartered, with peanut butter.

Pepitas as a salad topper. Any and every bean - make dips for veggies, stuffings for veggie rolls or lasagna-like things made with veggies (i.e., inside rolled eggplant slices, baked between zucchini slices, etc.), as a sandwich filling if you eat bread, as a protein ingredient in salads. Roasted veggies - different, richer flavor than raw/steamed. Some veg (broccoli, for example) have surprising amounts of protein. Tempeh. Edamame.

Personally, I think the fake meat products are icky: Not good tasting, often long lists of processed ingredients. There are a few burger-like things that are grain/bean and not as horrifying . . . but *why*?

Check out veggie-rich ethnic cuisines like Indian, middle eastern, some African, Mexican. There are lots of good web sites, books, magazines, resources about vegetarian cooking, but I can't suggest any as the ones I've most relied on are probably long out of print. Now it's just a habit.

The biggest breakthrough for me (decades ago) was escaping the idea of meals as protein-plus-sides. Just eat food, making sure protein sources are woven throughout - much more interesting & satisfying.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I love veggie burgers and spicy (fake) chicken.
    enhanced-22419-1400861214-15.jpg
    k2-_d03efd40-a4f4-4002-81e7-2f2b0a6b5f75.v1.jpg
    kicproductimage-128368.jpg