Let's lose 10 pounds in 3.5 weeks??

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    lol how did I miss naughty spreads? That's what I call what you do on the hip adductor machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0VGANa91HM
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is a naughty spread? LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Naughty spreads? I am trying not to make a comment about that.

LOL!

• WinoGelato
    Options
    soinbnsng wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    YAY! A goal which is above and beyond what is considered healthy and acceptable weight loss. Awesome.

#sarcasm

Agree.

YAY people being negative and snooty. Awesome

#Sarcasm

For the record, here is how these threads usually go:

OP - Hey guys, I've got a plan, I'm super motivated, and I want to lose XX pounds in XX weeks
    Responders - you are already at a healthy weight, why the rush?
    OP - Because I have an event ( usually a wedding, reunion, vacation) and I totally want to tone up before then
    Responder # 1 - yes but losing weight too fast, if it is even possible, is not safe because it can have undesireable consequences (loss of lean muscle, fatigue, illness, etc).
    Responder # 2 - you got this girl, count me in, we can support each other together
    Responder # 3 - having an unrealistic goal can lead to feelings of failure if you aren't successful, why not try a reasonable calorie deficit and a slower rate of loss?
    OP - why is everyone so mean!?

What never happens is we never hear from OP about what actually happened - more than likely they were unable to reach their goal because it wasn't attainable to begin with. Perhaps they come back 3 months later and post one of the classic sequels: "Back Again And This Time I"m Really Committed".
  • queenliz99
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    YAY! A goal which is above and beyond what is considered healthy and acceptable weight loss. Awesome.

#sarcasm

Agree.

#Sarcasm

OP - Hey guys, I've got a plan, I'm super motivated, and I want to lose XX pounds in XX weeks
    OP - Because I have an event ( usually a wedding, reunion, vacation) and I totally want to tone up before then
    Responder # 1 - yes but losing weight too fast, if it is even possible, is not safe because it can have undesireable consequences (loss of lean muscle, fatigue, illness, etc).
    Responder # 2 - you got this girl, count me in, we can support each other together
    Responder # 3 - having an unrealistic goal can lead to feelings of failure if you aren't successful, why not try a reasonable calorie deficit and a slower rate of loss?

What never happens is we never hear from OP about what actually happened - more than likely they were unable to reach their goal because it wasn't attainable to begin with. Perhaps they come back 3 months later and post one of the classic sequels: "Back Again And This Time I"m Really Committed".

However, there are a few, very few that do come back and say "thanks to everyone because I was stupid." We all get kind of giddy when that happens, me included.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

#sarcasm

Agree.

#Sarcasm

1. I'm not at a healthy weight. 166 for my height is considered overweight for my height
    2. I'm very uncomfortable at this weight. Not because of looks or a special event. I just FEEl the weight (if that makes sense)
    3. I WILL come back on 9/19 and let you know. Whether I failed miserably or met my goal. Promise
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

However true this may be, OP, do your best to prove her and other naysayers wrong. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm trying to lose 8-10 lbs by Sept 30th (5 weeks to go) so that's 1.6-2 lbs/week. I'm 5'5" and 128 lbs. I'm eating 1500-1700 and plan to go cycling or hiking 2 hrs/day everyday minimum. So far, I've been averaging 1.2 lbs/week but can do better than that.

Go for it!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, OP?
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

#sarcasm

Agree.

#Sarcasm

However, there are a few, very few that do come back and say "thanks to everyone because I was stupid." We all get kind of giddy when that happens, me included.

That is true. Like this one, which was one of my favorite threads of the last several months...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10105396/to-all-the-mfp-meanies-and-know-it-alls-this-is-for-you/p1
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

#sarcasm

Agree.

#Sarcasm

That is true. Like this one, which was one of my favorite threads of the last several months...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10105396/to-all-the-mfp-meanies-and-know-it-alls-this-is-for-you/p1

I know, it was awesome <3
  • WinoGelato
    Options

However true this may be, OP, do your best to prove her and other naysayers wrong. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. I'm trying to lose 8-10 lbs by Sept 30th (5 weeks to go) so that's 1.6-2 lbs/week. I'm 5'5" and 128 lbs. I'm eating 1500-1700 and plan to go cycling or hiking 2 hrs/day everyday minimum. So far, I've been averaging 1.2 lbs/week but can do better than that.

Go for it!

I really don't understand how pointing out to someone that their goal may be unrealistic, or unhealthy, is being a naysayer. It is not like people are discouraging someone from trying to lose weight or improve their health. We all support that. What people are saying is that by being too aggressive with your goal, and your tactics, you may be setting yourself up for failure and disappointment.

And for the record, if you are 5'5 and 128 then absolutely a goal of losing 1.5-2 lbs/week is unrealistic for you. If you want to take those words as some sort of personal challenge to then come back and prove me wrong, so be it.

• soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, OP?

5'8
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How tall are you, OP?

5'8

So your BMI is .3 above the healthy range for your height. Saying that you are not at a healthy weight (below) is splitting hairs at this point. Yes, maybe you feel bad at your current weight but it is still not high enough that an extreme deficit is warranted or likely to lead you to success.

#sarcasm

Agree.

#Sarcasm

1. I'm not at a healthy weight. 166 for my height is considered overweight for my height
    2. I'm very uncomfortable at this weight. Not because of looks or a special event. I just FEEl the weight (if that makes sense)
    3. I WILL come back on 9/19 and let you know. Whether I failed miserably or met my goal. Promise
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If its a loose wishful goal then go for it and monitor your progress week by week. I think youll find it harder than you think becayse you dont have that much to lose and it tends to slow down.

Be careful you dont exhaust yourself with the exercise, its not impossible (the level of exercise)by any means, but keep listening to your body as recovery and fueling are very importnat. Just dont take it too seriously, use soem common sense and if it takes a few more weeks then accept it takes a few more weeks. !0 is unlikley, 7 is possible but still at the top end.