Alternatives to crisps

Options
I love crisps. You can keep the chocolate and cake I don't care but the crisps are mine!

On that note they are killing g my calorie intake and therefore preventing my 5 day intake , I'm on 1200 a day.

I know I can buy lower calorie crisps but I'm looking for a healthier alternative that won't leave me craving the crisps!

I found vegetable crisps and fell in love, looked at the calories and haven't bought them since.

Has anyone found a healthier alternative that doesn't leave the feeling of being without crisps?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't think there is an alternative. It's just a question of making them fit your calories or not.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I make Kale crisps sometimes - rub a tiny bit of oil in to a handful of kale, sprinkle some salt over and bake for a few minutes. As long as you keep the oil to a minimum they're pretty low calorie.
    They're not the same as regular crisps really, nothing is, but they're still pretty moreish.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I could go my whole life without chocolate but don't take my crisps.

I have tried lentil crisps which I thought were really yum. I genuinely don't know if they're healthier though. I happily didn't look at the label.

Someone suggested I bake chickpeas which I'll try next time I'm cooking.

I've tried kale crisps and parsnip crisps but again never looked at the labels so don't know if they really are any better.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How active? I'm the same age and was able to eat more than that. Currently maintaining.

I limited myself to half-portions of the real thing. Nothing else would do.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    StrengthIsBeautiful Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am switching to these- Keebler Mini Club Crackers. Look up the nutritional value with the food entry tool on MFP. The best thing about it is that one serving contains 17 crackers! Easy to count out and not go over. It's worth it for my cravings for the carb & calorie count. I can easily fit them in!
    51a945315fda8_227892b.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Light pop corn. It's salty, it's crunchy. I make mine in a microwave bowl. Add just a little oil to help the salt stick. You can't eat unlimited amounts, but the serving size is decent.
  • MysticalT
    MysticalT Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have already searched the net and not found a great deal. Looks like the crisps will be staying :wink:

I will be trying the kale crisps though, they sound nice!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Crisps, which are "chips" to we Americans, are one of those things that I cannot really replace. Special K has a "Cracker Chip" that is a little healthier, but doesn't taste the same as Lay's Potato Chips in the yellow bag. I freaking loved those things and used to miss them a lot.

I think for snacks like that, I either have to have the real deal or just skip them. So, I skip them and don't really try to have something kind of like them that isn't as good. I just wrote them off. There's no good there, so they're out.

No other chip will be the Lay's Potato Chip in the yellow bag, mores the pity.
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Get one of these...http://www.mastrad-paris.us/chips-maker-mandoline-topchips.html . I make chips all the time with this - beet, sweet potato, radish, regular potato, etc - less processed and less of a hit in calories depending on which veggie you choose. You have to use the microwave, which some are opposed to. This has been the best alternative I have found...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Make them fit into your calories if you like them so much. ..I find the supermarket own brands generally come in around 135 cals for 25g pack.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I crave crispy crunchy volume once in a while. When I figured this out, I went to find substitutes. My most frequent go-to is air popped popcorn. Try baked instead of fried for a lower calorie count.

One of my favourite kitchen gadgets is my mandoline. I've sliced up apples and turnips really thin and eaten them alongside the aforementioned popcorn, dry cheerios, nuts, and pretzels.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I make kale chips sometimes and I like Herr's Popped Chips, but none of these are chips. Popcorn is good or just by individual serving bags of chips one at a time so you literally can't eat more than a portion. a portion of chips is usually 140 -160 calories. You can fit that in with 20 minutes walk.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any alternative you find won't be saving you a lot of calories. You're better off weighing out a serving and fitting it into your day. I do because I don't crave sweets, I crave salt. I've been known to just eat salt, though I try not to do that anymore! I have found popping my own popcorn and adding just a little butter and a lot of salt does come close and is lower calories, but sometimes, you just want the chips!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Pretty much any alternative you find won't be saving you a lot of calories. You're better off weighing out a serving and fitting it into your day. I do because I don't crave sweets, I crave salt. I've been known to just eat salt, though I try not to do that anymore! I have found popping my own popcorn and adding just a little butter and a lot of salt does come close and is lower calories, but sometimes, you just want the chips!

Yeah.. Here in the US we find Quest protein chips, which are great (some people hate them, but as much as I like chips, I can do without, so they work just fine for me), but I doubt you can find those in the UK.

The bottom line is that if it's something you REALLY like, you probably won't find a good alternative. There are a ton of crackers and pop chips or whatever in the US now but the nutrition really isn't that different, and they just don't cut it if it's really chips that you're craving anyway... I'd say just enjoy them in moderation.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    olestra chips now if you don't mind the occasional bowel incontinence that would be your calorie saver
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I make parmesan cheese crisps. 400 degree oven, tablespoons of shredded parm, bake for four to five minutes. Store in a sealed container. They get nice and crispy, parm is a low fat cheese, and provides protein.
  • ldrosophila
    edited August 2015
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Get one of these...http://www.mastrad-paris.us/chips-maker-mandoline-topchips.html . I make chips all the time with this - beet, sweet potato, radish, regular potato, etc - less processed and less of a hit in calories depending on which veggie you choose. You have to use the microwave, which some are opposed to. This has been the best alternative I have found...

THAT...IS...SO...FRIGGIN...........COOL! Can you get the veggies to actually be crispy in the microwave? Do you use any oil with it?

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that microwaved crisps are not more well known.

Slice a potato thinly in the food processor or with a mandolin. Lay slices in a single layer on top of silicon coated baking paper or reusable silicon baking mesh. Salt. You can also sprinkle vinegar at this time. Pop into the microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Remove any that are lightly browned to a serving dish. Nuke the remaining at 1-2 minute increments. Be careful because the difference between browned and burnt is quite a fine line. These continue to crisp up as they cool.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    I am surprised that microwaved crisps are not more well known.

Slice a potato thinly in the food processor or with a mandolin. Lay slices in a single layer on top of silicon coated baking paper or reusable silicon baking mesh. Salt. You can also sprinkle vinegar at this time. Pop into the microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. Remove any that are lightly browned to a serving dish. Nuke the remaining at 1-2 minute increments. Be careful because the difference between browned and burnt is quite a fine line. These continue to crisp up as they cool.

mind blown its actually chip consistency crunch and salty?