Protein Powders!

Options
Hi everyone!! I'm looking for some insight and opinions on various types of protein powders. I currently use a hemp protein powder however I am considering something that might not taste so bad haha... I'm curious, what kind of protein powders do you all like to use and why? Also I'm not sure if I should stay with plant based protein or not. Any thoughts?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    MTS Cookies and Cream is pretty damn good.

I've never tried a plant based protein, I've only ever tried whey and casein.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein and that tastes pretty good in a flavoured variety. I can't compare it to hemp but if you hate it, it's worth trying a few different ones to see what you really like.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I really like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey protein. "Rocky road", "vanilla" or "double rich chocolate" are quite palatable. I can't compare to plant protein as I haven't tried it, sorry.
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    VegaOne is my favorite, I like berry flavor in smoothies, and Chai flavor in Coffee.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored and unsweetened whey because I basically use it in smoothies and cooking so the flavor comes from the other things I add. If you have or may have a sensitivity to milk whey protein can cause bloating. Some online sites have sample packs you can try before plunging into getting a big container and hating it.
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes I am lactose intolerant that is why I am weary of whey. I like the hemp because its easy to digest and does not cause me any issues. Thanks everyone.
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    jadowns wrote: »
    VegaOne is my favorite, I like berry flavor in smoothies, and Chai flavor in Coffee.

I have always been curious about vegaone however I heard it makes some people sick?? What are the pros of vega one compared to another vegan protein powder?
  • jfitnessguru
    jfitnessguru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use PES Select Protein. I absolutely love it, tastes great. It's a whey + casein blend. My go to flavors are snickerdoodle and blondie.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love Bariatric Fusion. Great taste and a good nutrition profile.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use Nature's Best Isopure Unflavored Protein. It's a very light powder that dissolves beautifully and has virtually no taste. I mix it in with my coffee in the morning and turn it into a protein latte!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, so don't have the huge range America has.
    My go to's for taste and decent protein are Quest and Optimum Nutrition
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Check out Massive Joes out of Australia. They offer a lot of the products that we have over here in the ol' USA.

https://massivejoes.com/shop/supplements/brand
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Check out Massive Joes out of Australia. They offer a lot of the products that we have over here in the ol' USA.

https://massivejoes.com/shop/supplements/brand

Will do, thanks :)

• lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Lactose doesn't agree with me either, so I use whey isolate. Even isolate still bothers some dairy-sensitive ppl. I'm currently using myprotein impact whey isolate in chocolate because they had an incredible deal on it awhile back. Taste is good and the quality is great.

I tried Nutiva's hemp protein for awhile, it was moderately gross. Plus, compared to whey, I had to use SO MUCH of it to get a decent amount of protein.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I like SDT Nutrition's "About Time" line. They've got a nice flavor selection:

http://www1.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=627

I also sometimes like/use plain unflavored gelatin (Great Lakes Brand) instead of protein powder because it has a decent amount of protein in it though usually nowhere near as much protein as protein powder does.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=great+lakes+gelatin+collagen&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=38915096105&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6264460745155133664&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1nb7wy40ns_b

I typically don't use a huge amount of protein powder though. I mean, yes, I use it baking and of course I use it when I want to make up a shake/smoothie; however, I find that I tend to get plenty of protein from my normal eating habits so I'm usually trying to reduce the amounts of protein I get. I always want to eat way more protein than I really should so I keep a pretty close eye on it
  • jessicatombari
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone !!!!! I gotta do a bit more research
  • carolineloves
    carolineloves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I swear by Isopure Zero Carb! It's whey isolate; gluten, lactose, aspartame free; 50 g of protein. My favorite flavors are cookies and cream, strawberry and cream, and vanilla. It's awesome in fruit smoothies, too!