Whey, liquid egg and such like, Rocco Dispirito recipes.....

Options
elizamc
elizamc Posts: 285 Member
Hi there,

I've recently bought two Rocco Dispirito recipe books and love the look of the recipes. However, I try hard to eat natural and unprocessed foods as much as possible and he has some more unusual (for me) ingredients - in particular whey and liquid egg - in his recipes.

As I try to aim for a diet that is sustainable financially, practically and nutritionally, I'm trying to process my reservations about using these and other 'heathy' substitutes.

Please share your thoughts with me! Do you use these and similar food products? What about the taste and health benefits?

Thanks people! :-D

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites all the time. I don't use Whey. The egg whites have no cholesterol which for me is healthier.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I use them both almost daily! I drink whey protein, and use the egg substitutes for omelets or french toast, or recipes i want to lower the fat in. The liquid egg will have more sodium than a natural one, but it will be fat free, and usually cholesterol free. Pick your poison. As for whey, I'm not sure how he's using it!
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    When I first read this I thought it said "whey, liquor, eggs, and such like, Rocco..." I was like Dang! Now thats a breakfast"
  • elizamc
    Options
    When I first read this I thought it said "whey, liquor, eggs, and such like, Rocco..." I was like Dang! Now thats a breakfast"

LOL!!!!!!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    You can always use real eggs when liquid egg is called for, will change the nutrition a bit but still works. 1/4 cup liquid is one egg.
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just started using Egg Beaters after the same such reservations...but I couldn't beat the convenience. I'm perfectly capable of separating my own, but on weekday mornings I finally gave in and gave it a whirl. Sometimes you can find local dairies or farms that have liquid egg (but I found the brand in my neck of the woods was not all egg white, and therefore not cholesterol free).
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options

That's what I call a TGIF Protein Shake!
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I use both. You dont need the liquid eggs if you can get eggs pretty cheap. We buy super jumbo eggs from a local farm and 1 egg white out of those is equal to 1/4c or more. Instead of the reg eggs that are 3-4 whites to equal 1/4c.

I use protein powder as well. The one I have I can have shakes as well as bake with. I mix it in my yogurt, make pancakes and muffins etc. All without any fat.
  • julielynnc
    julielynnc Posts: 14
    Options
    Whole Foods carries a good, natural liquid egg product.
  • elizamc
    Options
    Thanks a lot folks, really helpful advice, as ever ;-D !