So disappointing

Options
I set a goal for myself to reach a target weight by end of this week before my vacation. I woke up and weighed Monday morning after a weekend and couldn't believe it! I was on track.

So Monday I was so good. Ate well and exercised, excited to get to my goal. And somehow I wake up this Tuesday morning and the scale flies up 2.8 pounds. What's going on? I'm thinking my Monday reading was false and I'm so disappointed and discouraged.

What could be happening?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weights fluctuate. I can swing up to 4lbs with water weight. You can't freak out over daily fluctuations.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I go up sometimes by +8 lbs!! Weight fluctuates. Its normal. Nothing to be discouraged over . just understand that your weight will not always go down. There's many factors at play that we can't control. pay attention to long term trends.
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    One of my big ah ha moments was reading the post of a gentlemen who was sharing his 100# plus weight loss journey. He weighed himself every day and relayed that his weight went up from the prior day fully 1/3 of those days.

The MFP progress reports are great as they will graph progress over the long haul. Will be spikes but if we're doing the right things, we'll see progress.

I weight myself daily but only post or log every Monday.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Number 1 question: Did you poop? This is my main reason for daily fluctuations. You may have also eaten something that caused bloating or water retention. Don't fret too much over day to day changes instead look at your over time(about a month) changes.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Not just day to day, but hour to hour. I weigh more at the middle of the day than the beginning, even when I'm on track calorie-wise. That's just what the body does. It's probably water weight, which isn't anything to worry about. That's why it's recommended to only weigh yourself once a week, at the same time.

Also, there will be weeks when you weigh a little more, despite being careful with calories. That's normal too. What you need to look for is a TREND in your weight over time. Give it about three months of weighing once a week and see what the graph looks like. It won't be a smooth line, it will have peaks, but if the line is gradually going down, you're doing good.

Edit: This is what I mean by a trend. My weight loss has slowed down since I'm near my goal, and I forget to weigh every week (it's usually every other week when I remember), but this is my past 6 months. You'll see some peaks, but the general trend is going down. That's what I'm talking about.

weightgraph_zpsxy1rv0np.jpg
  • cairoqueen27
    cairoqueen27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't be disheartened, it is most likely temporary. I was told this by my Rosemary Conley class leader: When you start exercising and cutting down calories - your body gets the message that you suddenly need more energy and it doesn't know yet if supplies are readily available and so goes into survival mode and stores water. Keep well hydrated and eat your daily calories, along with regular exercise and your body will then know its safe to let go of its stores and you should see the scale move again.
  • joylynnther
    joylynnther Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I set a goal for myself to reach a target weight by end of this week before my vacation. I woke up and weighed Monday morning after a weekend and couldn't believe it! I was on track.

So Monday I was so good. Ate well and exercised, excited to get to my goal. And somehow I wake up this Tuesday morning and the scale flies up 2.8 pounds. What's going on? I'm thinking my Monday reading was false and I'm so disappointed and discouraged.

What could be happening?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear, sadly
    can fluctuate 5 lbs day to day. depending on what I ate and the hydration and hormones

look at trends and not day to day numbers
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Number 1 question: Did you poop? This is my main reason for daily fluctuations. You may have also eaten something that caused bloating or water retention. Don't fret too much over day to day changes instead look at your over time(about a month) changes.

THIS. It does make a difference. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    lol
    I heard someone call it intestinal retention
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    lol
    I heard someone call it intestinal retention
    HAH! Sounds quite serious... :D
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    All sorts of things cause fluctuation. I'm a guy, and I don't have TOM to deal with, which can add anywhere between one and six pounds, depending on the lady, but I still have almost half as many down days as I do up ones. Of the 24 readings recorded in the past month, I was up on 11 of them. Here's why mine looks like, and how I keep it in perspective. I use trendweight.com to track my rolling average. This is my last 30 days of weight values:

4w.png

11 of the 24 recorded values (the greyed out ones are interpolated because I didn't get on the scale that day) are up from the previous weight, but the trendline shows a 517 calorie deficit per day, yielding 1.0 pounds of weight loss per week. Factoring in the inevitable LBM loss, it is pretty much spot-on with my fitbit/mfp CICO calculations.
  • jbirdy76
    jbirdy76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For all of the above reasons it is hard to set a specific weight goal. But a goal to stay under your calories, burn x amount of calories each day to be at a specific calorie deficit it a measurable goal. So no matter what the scale says you will know you accomplished something that week. I understand completely the temptation of making those by vacation goals, but keep being disciplined this week and working hard and you will see progress, whether the progress is measured by better fitting clothes, more energy, or a number on a scale there will be progress.
  • carolineloves
    carolineloves Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally, I try to stay off the scale, but during weightloss, I set a limit to once a week. I mainly focus on my measurements. It's a better gauge of where and how I'm losing weight.
  • TriCardinal
    TriCardinal Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I can't help weighing myself every day- it helps me stay on track. But, I do notice a 1 day lag- if I eat poorly on Tuesday then I notice it on the scale Thursday. But as long as I was healthy on Wednesday then Friday I'm back down. Fluctuations are totally normal and the end goal is a months to years kind of change, not a week long one. Keep at it!! :)
  • jacobsbride
    jacobsbride Posts: 3 Member
    Options

What could be happening?

• jacobsbride
    jacobsbride Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've been a big help. My weight stayed the same but I'll keep at it and keep you posted :)