Netting very few calories.

A couple weeks ago I got myself a Fitbit and synced it with My Fitness Pal so that it would update my exercise calories for me automatically. My activity level is set to sedentary because I'm a full time student and spend a lot of time sitting, but since getting my fitbit I'm realizing I'm a bit more active than I thought. On very active days like today, I earn back so many calories from exercising I can't believe it.

My base calorie goal on MFP is 1350. Before my Fitbit, I was getting pretty comfortable eating that and would just eat a little more if I was ever hungry. Today (again, it was a pretty active day for me) my calorie goal is at a bit over 3,000 after the Fitbit calorie adjustment. Days like today have been more of a norm for me lately, as I've become more active since getting my Fitbit. However, don't come close to eating even half of my "workout" calories back. Most days I've been eating around 1400 - 1600 calories, which means my net calories are very low.

The thing is that I don't really feel hungry past that, so I don't force myself to eat more. I'm a little concerned though that some days I only net around 400 calories. Today I'm at -550 net calories (though I haven't eaten dinner yet).

Is this dangerous? Should I eat more even if I'm not hungry?

It's also worth noting that on the weekends I tend to go way over my daily calorie goal. I tend to eat out with friends, or just eat a lot. So it seems to even things out enough to the point where I'm not losing weight too quickly. Around two pounds a week. (I'm a 26 year old female, 5'4, 255 lbs).

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    If you're losing at a comfortable rate with your calorie distribution, I wouldn't worry about it. Many people will eat less during the week to save calories for the weekend.
  • Personally, I think you're fine, eating as you are. Lots of people calorie cycle, between high and low days. 5 low days and 2 high days are fine. If you're not seeing the results you want, you'll have to tweak it a bit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2015
    What exactly are you doing?

3000 calories is quite a bit for a daily goal.

The other aspect is how accurate are you logging food.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    if you're losing at the rate you want to, i'd say that's about all that matters.
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    What exactly are you doing?

3000 calories is quite a bit for a daily goal.

The other aspect is how accurate are you logging food.

I've been walking between 15,000 and 20,000 steps a day. Many days I am spending 40 minutes on the treadmill doing intervals of jogging and power walking, and some days I also do Focus T25. In addition to that, I am a 5'4 female at 255 lbs, so my BMR is high as is.

My food logging is pretty accurate. I have a food scale and I weigh just about everything.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    You're losing 2lbs a week? Awesome! 2lbs a week is NOT slow; that's a safe amount for anybody who's in your weight range. You shouldn't really be aiming for more than that anyway.

I weigh about 15lbs less than you, although I'm substantially taller (not that it makes much difference in this instance), and I regularly get caloric ranges that you've been given from my more active days with my Fitbit. As you lose more weight, the amount of Cals Fitbit gives you for your weightloss will drop, since your body is lighter and takes less energy to move around.

In the end, it's always a good idea to eat back some of your exercise calories. Maybe not all, but some. Make sure you're getting enough protein and take note of your energy levels. If you're tired all the time or in general lacking energy and concentration, you may need to eat more. If you're not hungry because the volume is enough for you, maybe try a more calorically dense meal (mmmm, peanut butter...)

As to the weekends going over cals, many of us look at our deficit over the week. If you're at a 1000Cal daily deficit, then being 7000Cal under over the week overall (for a 2lb a week weight loss), you should technically still lose weight at a steady pace.

Also, have you manually set your stride length in fitbit? If your steps are much shorter than what Fitbit sets them at automatically, it can vary your exercise Cals quite a bit. You have access to a treadmill, so you can measure your running/walking stride lengths by setting the treadmill at a regular walking / running pace and counting your number of steps over a 100m distance. You can then input the length in the settings section in the Fitbit dashboard.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    ebbingfat wrote: »
    A couple weeks ago I got myself a Fitbit and synced it with My Fitness Pal so that it would update my exercise calories for me automatically. My activity level is set to sedentary because I'm a full time student and spend a lot of time sitting, but since getting my fitbit I'm realizing I'm a bit more active than I thought. On very active days like today, I earn back so many calories from exercising I can't believe it.

My base calorie goal on MFP is 1350. Before my Fitbit, I was getting pretty comfortable eating that and would just eat a little more if I was ever hungry. Today (again, it was a pretty active day for me) my calorie goal is at a bit over 3,000 after the Fitbit calorie adjustment. Days like today have been more of a norm for me lately, as I've become more active since getting my Fitbit. However, don't come close to eating even half of my "workout" calories back. Most days I've been eating around 1400 - 1600 calories, which means my net calories are very low.

The thing is that I don't really feel hungry past that, so I don't force myself to eat more. I'm a little concerned though that some days I only net around 400 calories. Today I'm at -550 net calories (though I haven't eaten dinner yet).

It's also worth noting that on the weekends I tend to go way over my daily calorie goal. I tend to eat out with friends, or just eat a lot. So it seems to even things out enough to the point where I'm not losing weight too quickly. Around two pounds a week. (I'm a 26 year old female, 5'4, 255 lbs).

Because of this, you're doing fine. Keep things as they are.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    ebbingfat wrote: »

Because of this, you're doing fine. Keep things as they are.

Exactly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great job!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    If you're getting around 1500 total per day and you don't feel hungry or binge terribly on the weekends, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you find you binge in the weekends, upping your daily goal a little might help you maintain a reasonable target on the weekends.