For all you pancake lovers..

Options
I read in a health book that a good substitute to syrup for pancakes is to take some raspberries, a little water and put in a frying pan. As the pan heats up, begin to mash the raspberries with a fork and as they mix with water it makes a delicious yet healthy syrup!!!

Replies

• d0900
    d0900 Posts: 30
    Options
    I read in a health book that a good substitute to syrup for pancakes is to take some raspberries, a little water and put in a frying pan. As the pan heats up, begin to mash the raspberries with a fork and as they mix with water it makes a delicious yet healthy syrup!!!
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's a lazy alternative: I use Aunt Jemima ButterLite syrup, and I heat it in the microwave for about 20 seconds. This makes it thinner so you don't use so much.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    But, you are getting nothing nutritionally from eating a pancake itself.............

It is nothing but laden with white flour and sugar, icky preservatives. So, in my opinion, it is just empty calories..............

Give me a veggie and cheese omelette and a cup of organic, decaf coffee any day over a pancake!!!
  • _Pepper_
    Options
    You can use oat flour to make some reasonably nutritious pancakes. I use high fiber bread to make some really good french toast.

Some people like pancakes, and they can be part of a nutritious eating plan.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    For now, I am trying to get my diabetes under control, so no grains of any sort for me..............

No rice (never white again, but right now, not even brown)..........I am wheat intolerant so no wheat or gluten products at all ever again..............

I will add in steel cut oats once I have my blood sugar completely under control..........

Right now, I am focusing on protein and veggies, then adding in fruit and nuts.........

I am trying to go to an all natural, organic meal plan for life.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do that with strawberries.

But I agree with eating eggs instead of pancakes any day.

The more level you can keep your insulin levels through out the day, the better your body will work at slimming you down. This goes for everyone, not only if you are diabetic. There are tons of studies out there on it and if you google it you can find lots of info.

Your body takes longer to breakdown eggs than it does something like pancakes or bagels, so you feel full longer, and your blood sugar stays more level. This will also help keep you from getting tired later in the day.

But back to pancakes, cause sometimes you just need something yummy. This is a way better idea than syrup, that has over 200 calories a serving that is pure sugar. We also sup in sugar free syrup which is only 35 calories.:bigsmile:
  • _Pepper_
    Options
    I think most people will agree that pancakes aren't the most nutritious choice for a daily breakfast; however, there's nothing wrong with having special treats in moderation.

There's a great looking banana pancake recipe on the Recipe board, BTW.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Agree you can make pancakes healthy and have it in moderation. Especially since there are some people that can't have eggs. So we all need different options for breakfast. Thanks for the info.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • MiaEllie
    Options
    Every Sunday morning, I make pancakes. I make sure to use a healthy flour. Buckwheat is my favorite. And don't forget the blueberries! YUMMERS!!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i go the whole grain/wheat route, I am also limited on breakfast options cause i am allergic to eggs whaaaaaa!!!! so I have a hard time finding something to mange on healthy even if I am heading out to the woods, we hit a diner for breakfast and I get chicken at 3 am just cause I am wierd and dietarly restricted
  • _Pepper_
    Options
    <---likes chicken enchiladas for breakfast.