Low sugar,low carb,low calorie snacks

Options
I really want to stay under my sugar intake, but most of the sugar are from fruits. Any recommendations for low sugar,low carb, snacks? I've been wondering if I'll gain weight by eating too much natural sugar,but still under my calorie intake? 1 pear,1apple,1 orange,and 1 banana = over my sugar intake for the day! Grr. I prefer not to eat artificial sugar...

Replies

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it. As long as you're under your daily calories*, you'll still lose weight. I've never tracked sugar in the time I've been here.

(* Assuming that you're logging accurately and your calories are set to an appropriate deficit.)
  • USAWANDERER
    USAWANDERER Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not sure how low is low for you but, I use Emerald 100 Calorie packs Natural Almonds as a snack. Hope 100 calories isn't too many for what you are looking for.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Most people don't need to track their sugar. There isn't much need unless you have a medical condition. I do.

So... low sugar, low carb snacks (some are higher calorie):
    cut veggies (raw is fine)
    cheese sticks
    salad
    cocoa powder and frozen banana blended (special dessert treat)
    guacamole
    eggs
    nuts of any variety (be careful of the amount... these add up fast)
    nut butter on fruit (or by the spoonful...again be careful)
    jalapeno poppers (just the jalapeno and cream cheese in the oven...I do it without bacon or any breadcrumbs)
    roasted veggies

I tend to make my snacks things I would actually eat for a meal as well. I just eat less of them if it's a snack.
  • TrueQuest
    TrueQuest Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    Don't stress it. As long as you're under your daily calories*, you'll still lose weight. I've never tracked sugar in the time I've been here.

(* Assuming that you're logging accurately and your calories are set to an appropriate deficit.)
    That's really good to know. :) my calorie intake is 1620 and some days I'm around 1300 so I try to add more snacks to be around 1500 per day. Thx!

• TrueQuest
    edited August 2015
    Options
    alfiedn wrote: »
    Most people don't need to track their sugar. There isn't much need unless you have a medical condition. I do.

So... low sugar, low carb snacks (some are higher calorie):
    cut veggies (raw is fine)
    cheese sticks
    salad
    cocoa powder and frozen banana blended (special dessert treat)
    guacamole
    eggs
    nuts of any variety (be careful of the amount... these add up fast)
    nut butter on fruit (or by the spoonful...again be careful)
    jalapeno poppers (just the jalapeno and cream cheese in the oven...I do it without bacon or any breadcrumbs)
    roasted veggies

I tend to make my snacks things I would actually eat for a meal as well. I just eat less of them if it's a snack.
    thanks for the suggestions. Banana and cocoa smoothie is super yum! (My blender is broken waiting for the company to send another). I don't have a medical condition...I just get paranoid about diabetes
  • RhodeWarrior401
    RhodeWarrior401 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    dont worry too much about the natural fruit sugar, i eat fruit all day everyday.
  • TrueQuest
    Options
    Not sure how low is low for you but, I use Emerald 100 Calorie packs Natural Almonds as a snack. Hope 100 calories isn't too many for what you are looking for.
    Thx
  • TrueQuest
    Options
    dont worry too much about the natural fruit sugar, i eat fruit all day everyday.
    Thx

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, I would worry about: calories<--- protein<-- the rest

And understand that protein can help maintain metabolic functions, maintain muscle mass (when combined with resistance training) and increase satiety; fats regulate hormones and improve satiety; and carbs support energy.
  • yvettesretail
    yvettesretail Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some would say dump the fruit all together or have non tropical fruit preferably berries and have with protein. From a lchf/keto who has to watch her sugar.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    In the grand scheme of things, I would worry about: calories<--- protein<-- the rest

And understand that protein can help maintain metabolic functions, maintain muscle mass (when combined with resistance training) and increase satiety; fats regulate hormones and improve satiety; and carbs support energy.

Well said.
  • PSS33884
    PSS33884 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat something with high carbs, make sure the fiber content is also high. I'm diabetic and I don't track my sugar. I track my total carbs and make sure the fiber content is high also.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars! Very low net carbs, low sugar for about 160-190 calories.