When,why and how do we fall off track?

Options
Last night at the dinner table I found myself staring at the definition in my shoulder. I noticed my daughter had caught me checking it out. I smiled and pointed and said that’s definition, that’s my hard work showing. My boyfriend smiled and confirmed. I have been noticing some changes in my body this past week. I’ve been spending a little more time looking in the mirror or a window and walking around sucking my stomach in which gives me perfect posture and I look leaner (in my eyes). So what’s my point well, I’m feeling good and I like the way I am starting to look.

You see I began yet again eating clean, going gluten free and exercising regularly on May 24, 2011. The one thing that I realized after my last binge and pity party is that I had not set a goal. I planned my meals, I worked out and I wanted to lose weight and get in shape. Yet I was flailing along not getting anywhere. I would lose a few pounds and then I would gain them back and sometimes more. Then it hit me, you can’t get where you are going without a destination. All those magazine articles all the books started to make sense. I know I want to lose weight so I will exercise more and eat healthier. The only thing is I have been doing that, for more than half my life. I’m a non-active Lifetime member of Weight Watchers. So why do I have to keep repeating the cycle. How does it all sink in, why do we gain the weight that we work so hard at losing, why do we skip a workout once we like the results? How do you change for good.

I was driving to work today, it’s Friday. I started to think of the donuts that would be in the kitchen downstairs at the office. I don’t eat them, I avoid the kitchen on Fridays, I have for years, unless.....I’m on a binge. I had the conversation with myself of why I thinking of these things that I don’t usually eat? I’m feeling good about the results I am getting so why did the thought of donuts come into my head?

This week I set a goal weight, made a new workout routine, made a weekly meal plan and equipped myself with motivation and desire. Desire to be the person I want to be and look the way I want to. It’s been a good week so far. I’m on track.

My boss is off today for a very important family event. We have a huge project closing today and he has left me instructions and details of what I have to do to complete the job. He has entrusted this to me. Why, because he knows he can count on me. My company can count on me, I have proven my dedication over the years.

So finally, here is my question. Why can’t I count on myself? Why can’t I trust myself to always make healthy choices and decisions for myself. Why can’t I trust myself to have just one. I can’t, I’m an all or nothing kind of girl. I’m also a sneaky eater, I don’t binge in front of anyone and I don’t do it at home.

No one can answer this question for me, I am trying to learn not to be so rigid with my food choices and to work the occasionally indulgences or a sweet into my menu plan.

I’m rambling, maybe it’s the coffee I’m jacked on, that accompanied by the nervousness of being entrusted to see this project to fruitation. Maybe because I’m afraid of myself and I want to avoid that out of control mindless eating.
I’ve had a lot on my mind this morning and thought I would put it out there, to share, for advice or just for support.

I know what to do, I know how to do it, I need to learn to do it consistantly.

Karen

Replies

• booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    great post Karen... this sounds so much like me... I work my butt of at work for measly little pay but I find myself slacking when working for myself. Like you I'm all or nothing kind of guy... if I fall of the wagon I feel like a failure and quit. I need to learn how to deal with little set backs like that. I'm searching for one of those ah ha moments... thanks to this site I feel like it's starting to sink in.
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am off the wagon right now and need motivation to get back there! Thanks for the inspiration. And I'd love to see your meal plan as I prepare mostly Gluten Free at my house (son has Celiac). Thanks again, you are a smart woman, enjoy your Friday!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. You've inspired me to put my June goal in writing to hold myself accountable. Small steps, right??

Keep up the great work!!
  • MsMouseMouse
    MsMouseMouse Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great post. Why can we work so hard for others and so little for ourselves?
    I think I am doing it better this time around, since I found MFP.
    Last week I had a gain of 2 lbs, because I thought that I could have one day with a treated meal
    on our 24th of May holiday.. that turned into a week of totally off the program.. But I am back on track
    and today I have lost 2.4 lbs. We have to understand that the journey we are on will have speed bumps,
    and detours.. But we must never let this stop us for long in getting back on the road that leads us to our
    destination.
    Have a good week.
  • lfoley4123
    lfoley4123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

So finally, here is my question. Why can’t I count on myself? Why can’t I trust myself to always make healthy choices and decisions for myself. Why can’t I trust myself to have just one. I can’t, I’m an all or nothing kind of girl. I’m also a sneaky eater, I don’t binge in front of anyone and I don’t do it at home.

This really hits home with me. I put 110% into everything I do because my belief is that if you are going to do something might as well give it your all or it is not worth doing at all. I have dieted off and on and as soon as I begin to slip I just give up completely. Your questions have really made me think and opened my eyes to why cant I put the hard work into myself as well as everything I do? I think just by taking a second and stopping to think about these questions when I feel like quitting will help me to stay on track. Thanks for such an insightful post!:happy:
  • terrabrookman
    Options
    Karen I can't tell you how much this post just gave me goosebumps. I had just entered all (and I mean ALL) of the food I ate yesterday and was getting angry at myself for the same reason. Why can't I keep this going! I am doing well so why can't I get this done? But, I think you hit the nail right on the head with both points. First, you absolutely have to set large AND small goals. But don't stop there. It has to be in the forefront of your head. Especially the small goals. I think that the biggest thing, at least for me, is that I need to THINK before I eat. Really think it through. I pretty much have an internal conversation with myself (if other's heard it, they would probably think I am crazy!) but it works. That is when I have been most successful. Your second point on trusting yourself is so true. I know that I need to trust that I will make good decisions but there will be times that we make one, two or even three bad decisions in a row but that doesn't negate the 10 good decisions that you previously made to get you to this point. We are not perfect and everyone has down time or cheats at some point but that shouldn't get us down. I think, it is healthy.

One more thing and then I will stop rambling. I know that hormones are a HUGE part of problem. Keep in mind that Mother Nature tends to work against you at certain times. I am not saying that I use it as an excuse but it helps me to understand that I am not necessarily falling off the wagon because I am having cravings that normally don't bother me. Just a thought.

Anyway, you look great and you said yourself that you are seeing it. Keep it up!!! Thanks so much for your post. Hope this helped.

Terra
  • Mama2CeceliaLogan
    Options
    Wow, what a great post Karen! I can totally relate. I wonder the same thing about myself, and I feel like in the past few months I have really made a change about how I think about myself, and how I "talk" to myself. I have really tried to stop the negative thoughts I have toward myself and to be positive. I have given myself "persmission" to fail/relapse. Because weight loss is a journey, and it doesn't happen overnight. There will be days where I mess up and don't make the best choices. In the past that would have thrown me right off track and I would have beat myself up for being a failure and would have been disgusted with myself. If that had happened to my friend I wouldn't call her a failure, or be disgusted with her. I would point out how amazing she's been doing, and that today is a new day, and it's ok to make mistakes. So that is what I tell myself now. We have to be our own best friend. It sounds kind of cheesy, I know, but it is really making a difference in all aspects of my life. I think having goals are great, but that we need to keep them flexible. And know that we can do this, and we aren't alone in it. So many people struggle with weight loss, it is a difficult thing, but we will succeed!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. I can relate to falling off track... like you I lose the weight only to gain it back! :( You have inspired me to take a look at what I need to do and make June a great month and stay on track!.. Thanks and have a great weekend!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When you aren't perfect the world does not fall apart. Stepping on a crack does not indeed break your mothers back! In fact, the world hardly notices!

Semi-related: You would never worry about what people thought of you if you realized how little they did! By all this I mean we put lots of rules on ourselves when we have been trying so hard to be perfect (usually because someone else made us feel less than perfect). Once you realize you are just fine, food is fine, and things are fine, you will be fine. You are fine now, and you are getting finer. Do it for you. Not easy! But it really helps me. I am learning to feel good and do whats best for me because I want to. I do allow Junk food and a rest. Because I'm a human, and thats normal. Never mind what I perceive others think I ought to be and do.

Food is enjoyable. It's not binge or military style as the only options. Yeah, while we are trying hard we are focused in more, but we are looking for permanent changes in attitude. I'm trying to be way more understanding of myself, and kinder. I'm ignoring away the little bits of not perfect, and noticing when i'm good. Like your pretty shape coming out! Enjoy that! That's focusing on the good stuff. Positive reinforcement is so much more effective in changing. Be happy for the good things and be patient with the little shortcomings. Because they are little, and they don't matter. It only becomes bigger when we put the magnifying glass up to them. Toss the magnifying glass. Positive reinforcement is so much more effective in changing.

The people that matter don't mind --all-- of you. End goal: feel good, focus on your success, live well, focus on the people that matter, notice when you are happy!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options

No one can answer this question for me, I am trying to learn not to be so rigid with my food choices and to work the occasionally indulgences or a sweet into my menu plan.

I’m rambling, maybe it’s the coffee I’m jacked on, that accompanied by the nervousness of being entrusted to see this project to fruitation. Maybe because I’m afraid of myself and I want to avoid that out of control mindless eating.
    I’ve had a lot on my mind this morning and thought I would put it out there, to share, for advice or just for support.

I know what to do, I know how to do it, I need to learn to do it consistantly.

Karen
    Great post. Great question. I often wonder the same thing. Why is it OK to let ourselves down when we would never think to let others down? It shouldn't be, but we do it all the time. I know I do.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great feedback and insight! I appreciate it.

I'm glad to see that my long winded thoughts are helping others.

Karen
  • cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    Wow...thanks Karen!!

This puts things back into perspective and exactly what I was looking for when I was ranting the other night.

A plan and goal is what is needed. I need to project manage myself.

Thanks again for this great post!
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post Karen. It took a lot of courage and it is exactly what I needed at this point in time. Thank you for helping me realize once again that I am not alone in some of the thinking patterns that I carry and on how I feel.
  • jeh1966
    jeh1966 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I needed to read that Karen... That is SO me! Wow... :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with a lot of the same kind of thinking too. I have perfectionist tendencies too, and can be relied on to keep EVERY commitment I make to others, but not always the ones I make to myself.

Your words have given me a lot to think about.
  • freightdiva
    freightdiva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well how can I say that if I didn't know better I would have thought that I wrote the post! I have been bingeing for the last couple of months and finally did the dirty! yes I weighed myself and seeing the numbers shock me back..but for how long??!! How is it that I have so much control of everything in my life except for my weight?! If you find the answers please share them! In the meantime ..good luck!
  • FitJ1210
    FitJ1210 Posts: 754
    Options
    Hand rasied... bumping to read later!