misfit or fitbit

Options
What does everyone recommend? I am torn between the fitbit or misfit.... starting this weightloss journey all over again and i want to be prepared for success!

Replies

• miss_tasha23
    miss_tasha23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I own a Fitbit and absolutely love it! I never heard of a misfit so I guess I can't really compare the two for ya, but I love my Fitbit :)
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of misfit either, but I do love my Fitbit! Keeps me motivated and moving!
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I own a Fitbit and absolutely love it! I never heard of a misfit so I guess I can't really compare the two for ya, but I love my Fitbit :)

Same here. I have the Fitbit Charge HR and I love it!
  • new_me_new_life_2015
    Options
    awesome thank you!!! the charge HR is the one i want to get
  • hollbert90
    hollbert90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I got the Charge HR all of 3 days ago and already love it. I don't know anything about the misfit though so can't compare!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Fitbit One.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I bought a Misfit because it's waterproof and I'm a swimmer. It's a piece of junk.
  • threedogswc
    threedogswc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I debated on the misfit or fit bit then read some crappy reviews about the misfit. Bought the Fitbit charge hr instead and I love it!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The thing about the ones with the optical heart rate monitors is that they are not very accurate. I have tried the fitbit charge HR as well as the fitbit surge, and did not like them as much as the Garmin products. I wound up getting the Garmin Vivoactive with a chest strap heart rate monitor, and recently upgraded to the Garmin fenix 3 with the chest strap heart rate monitor.

The Garmin products are at least worth looking at, and they sync with MFP too.

Also, the Garmin Vivoactive is water proof up to 50 meters, and the fenix 3 up to 100 meters. I don't think the fitbits even recommend showering with them on, and I wear mine 24/7. Another thing is, the battery life on the Garmin's are much longer.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Been using a misfit flash link (nice price at a whopping $20) for a day now so i can de-tether my iphone from my rear. It's doing fine so far...steps are more or less in line with what the iphone is recording, it's just a little more of a pain as i have to use a separate app to sync activity from the flash, to the flash app, then update activity within MFP. With the iphone it was automatic.

This is by no means a long term review but the misfit seems to do the trick for what i need. That being a low cost, unobtrusive activity tracker. If it continues to work without hassle, i'll say it's a home run.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    The thing about the ones with the optical heart rate monitors is that they are not very accurate. I have tried the fitbit charge HR as well as the fitbit surge, and did not like them as much as the Garmin products. I wound up getting the Garmin Vivoactive with a chest strap heart rate monitor, and recently upgraded to the Garmin fenix 3 with the chest strap heart rate monitor.

Also, the Garmin Vivoactive is water proof up to 50 meters, and the fenix 3 up to 100 meters. I don't think the fitbits even recommend showering with them on, and I wear mine 24/7. Another thing is, the battery life on the Garmin's are much longer.

The Flex is the only Fitbit model that can be worn in water. The rest are listed as "splashproof" which basically means that they can get wet but not immersed.

A good option if you want to wear yours 24/7 and spend time in water is the Garmin Vivofit2. Waterproof to 10 meters and runs on a watch battery so you do not have to remove it to recharge. It has an optional HRM (for about $20 more) but the HRM will not work well in water because it is bluetooth.

Many find the HR aspect to be unnecessary because they do a decent job of calculating TDEE without it, assuming you do mostly step based activity.

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've got both. I started with the FitBit Flex and found it helpful in getting me off my butt. The calorie burns were pretty accurate for me in that I ate back nearly all the calories as calculated by FitBit and still lost 1.5 pounds a week for my first 6 months. But it's not pretty :)

So, I moved over to the Misfit Shine. Much prettier! I liked that I could wear it anywhere (on a necklace, on my shoelace, in my pocket) as opposed to just on my wrist like the FitBit Flex. Sadly, for me at least, it seemed to WAY overestimate my calorie burn. While I can do the math and only eat back a portion of the calories, it just seemed a waste of time.

The biggest downside to the FitBit is the battery life. The Misfit uses a watch battery that lasts for 6 months or so but my FitBit needs charging every 3 or 4 days. I also have to remember to take it off in the shower whereas the Misfit is more water resistant.

One little thing I like more about the FitBit - it vibrates when you hit your target steps for the day. The Misfit flashes its lights, but if you're not looking at it when that happens, you miss it. I love that little vibration reward :)

Now I'm back on the FitBit. It just works better for what I'm trying to do right now.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I don't think the fitbits even recommend showering with them on.

Fitbits are not waterproof—and that's a deal breaker for some people: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/Can-I-swim-or-shower-with-my-tracker
    All Fitbit trackers are water-resistant, which means they are rain-proof and splash-proof and can stand up to even the sweatiest workout.

Do not swim with your tracker. We also don't recommend showering with your tracker.

I've used Fitbit + MFP for two years. Which model you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference. They all calculate your TDEE & sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block. That vibration when I hit my goal is addictive!

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The Flex is the only Fitbit model that can be worn in water. The rest are listed as "splashproof" which basically means that they can get wet but not immersed.

A good option if you want to wear yours 24/7 and spend time in water is the Garmin Vivofit2. Waterproof to 10 meters and runs on a watch battery so you do not have to remove it to recharge. It has an optional HRM (for about $20 more) but the HRM will not work well in water because it is bluetooth.

Many find the HR aspect to be unnecessary because they do a decent job of calculating TDEE without it, assuming you do mostly step based activity.

The Garmin fenix 3 uses the heart rate for other things aside from the calories, like training effect and recovery information. But then again, it is a higher end device, and for $500.00, it better do more...:)

You can also customize any type of workout you can think of and load it right onto the watch.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    The thing about the ones with the optical heart rate monitors is that they are not very accurate.

My charge HR has been pretty accurate.. comparing it with a polar chest strap it is usually only about 3-4 BPM off if not dead on.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    The thing about the ones with the optical heart rate monitors is that they are not very accurate.

My charge HR has been pretty accurate.. comparing it with a polar chest strap it is usually only about 3-4 BPM off if not dead on.

Most of the inaccuracies are reported during several different types of workouts, and I have noticed quite large differences as well. Plus having to wear it half way up your arm just looks wrong... :)

They are pretty close for general use though.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there on the misfit now that i have a couple days worth of data...iphone tracker shows an average of .031cals burned/step recorded based on my data from earlier this month, misfit shows .047 cals burned/step over the last 2 days. That's kinda huge.

Can't really say that one is accurate and the other is not as i don't know, but the fact that the misfit is recording a calorie burn roughly 1.5x what MFP records using the iphone steps is troubling. I think this thing is going back...