Too much protein

Alexa1471
Alexa1471 Posts: 52
edited September 28 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I've only just joined this site and have input what I've eaten for the last few days in so I can get an idea of what i was like. I'm pleased to say that it looks like i was on the right track. However it seems i have too much protein in my diet. Can anyone suggest how i can bring it down? I usually have chicken in my salad for my lunch and maybe an omelette or fish or something similar for the evening meal.......

Thank you! x

Replies

• Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Too much protein is not a problem!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    If you're using MFP default numbers then being over on the protein isn't a problem (barring existing problems like kidney stones etc) they have protein set to 15%, I had to increase mine to 30% to get the intake of protein I want for a goal...0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight and once I'm strength training that will increase to 1 gram per pound goal.
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    To much protein is a problem but you are only getting it from food so it's not a problem for you.
  • tssilver1
    tssilver1 Posts: 1
    I have always heard 1.5grams of protein per lb of body weight.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Are you over in your protein all the time, And are you under in your carbs? If you are you can lower your carbs in your goals and it will automatically raise your protein so you can be more on track. Don't forget to save changes at the bottom. If you are over in both then you have to watch a little better.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Ugh... I had this problem too. It's portion control, really. Chicken breast/Fish shouldn't be an 8 oz piece. Actual serving sizes should be closer to 4-5 oz tops. You'll see the calories really drop when you do this; but try to fill up on veggies & fruit.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Too much protein is not a problem!!

It really depends on how you train. Here is a great article I read a few weeks ago. I hope it helps.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy11.htm
  • panda0920
    panda0920 Posts: 29
    If you don't have enough carbs to back the protein, for example say a 1:2 ratio, then it may become an issue. Protein helps burn fat because the body doesn't break it down properly (this is something they shoved in our head in a biology class) and it takes a lot more energy to pull it apart and then use it, because of the breaking down issue it is used in fat storage, as far as I've been taught.

But unless you're eating 100% without carbs, fat, etc. then it shouldn't be a crazy issue. Try to balance. I use the 1:2 ration (2 being the protein).

Also, I believe .7 x your body weight is how much you could eat daily of protein. If I find the correct calculations, I'll you know, otherwise, I've eaten over 100g a day due to protein mixes, meat, eggs, etc. and I was fine.
  • Alexa1471
    Alexa1471 Posts: 52
    Thanks for your responses guys! I'm still confused though!! Over the past 3 days i have been 31 watsits over my protein but under on my carbs. Should I cut down the protein?

Any suggestions on what to have in my salads instead of chicken? x
This discussion has been closed.