Lack of motivation

Options
Hi, I'm 38 woman with 3 kids and over 88 pounds to loose.

My motivation does not exist. Have no idea what to do, I'm getting fatter every month.

Replies

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. The end.

Just set your calorie goals in MFP, get yourself a food scale, use it, log regularly and honestly. Easy as that. You'll be losing weight in time with just that alone.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Start with thinking about why you wnat to lose weight and how importnat it is to you.
    Learn how weight loss works and how to do it this thread is a good start.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Decide if you are willing to eat less consistently to lose weight or you dont mind eating more, but gaining as well. Its your choice.

88lbs and the whole weight loss thin might sound overhwleming but there are many more people on MFP who have more to lose or have lost more, so understand its possible and that you cna do it.

Once you understand the basics of losing and calorie counting then you need a plan which involves small steps and can gradually get you into the habits which will enable you to start creating a daily deficit.

Get some scales, weih and log all your food so you understand how much and what you are eating.
    Do a small bit of extra movement each day such as a 10 min walk to the shop.
    Read the link. The idea is to take small manageable steps that you cna tick ff and feel the changes are building up then when you are ready lower your calories down to maintenancce and then a deficit by entering your details into MFP and fixing the rate you feel able to lose weight. Then focus on one day at a time, keep going and you will make progress. Be realistic, adjust and be patient
    Good luck.

Ince you make the connection that you have a plan which you cna follow and that you will 100% lose weight if you do so then the whole task becomes a lot less overwhelming and you start to realise you cna do it.
  • ingridiak
    ingridiak Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

The problem is, I already know all those advices. All my life I try to loose some weight. But every stress, every conflict situation makes me more open to eat sweets.

I tried diets and log my food. The problem is, if I don't eat enough meat or bread I feel hungry. Very fast terrible headache comes, so leave dieting, as I need go to work and headache is not helping.

Mostly I'm trying to get to work asap, so don't spend time on walking. During lunch break I make like the 10-15 mins walk. In the afternoon again, asap to pick my youngest girl from school. Then normal life, some shopping, homeworks, cooking, cleaning... Don't have additional time for gym.

I have to loose weight as I'm just too fat, it is for my health mostly. But I don't feel it. My motivation appears very rarely few times per month.

I know I have to, but it doesn't look I want to
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ingridiak wrote: »
    Thank you.

The problem is, I already know all those advices. All my life I try to loose some weight. But every stress, every conflict situation makes me more open to eat sweets.

I tried diets and log my food. The problem is, if I don't eat enough meat or bread I feel hungry. Very fast terrible headache comes, so leave dieting, as I need go to work and headache is not helping.

Mostly I'm trying to get to work asap, so don't spend time on walking. During lunch break I make like the 10-15 mins walk. In the afternoon again, asap to pick my youngest girl from school. Then normal life, some shopping, homeworks, cooking, cleaning... Don't have additional time for gym.

I have to loose weight as I'm just too fat, it is for my health mostly. But I don't feel it. My motivation appears very rarely few times per month.

I know I have to, but it doesn't look I want to

Then you dont want to lose weight enough and you arent ready for it. There are really no shortcuts, just methods to make it easier, but at some stage you have to get down and do it. Im just seeing excuses, but other people manage to commit and get it sorted.

Your headaches just sound like poor nutrition.
    Your lack of time just like poor organisation. You cna workout at home or just start with extra movement such as plating with the kids. you really only need to contol your food intake at the beginning.

Nobody cares whether you lose weight or not, do you care enough about yourself? One day you will realise the importnace of it. As an example there are plenty of threads over the time ive been here where people have been warned about diabetes and to change their ways but they ignired that advice and developed diabetes. The health risks over time about being obese are serious and you cna be sleepwalking into them.

Ive already pointed to the fact they can be gradual small changes, but you have to be consistent and change your lifestyle. Get some friends on here in the same situation or read the succcess boards to understand people lose weight. 88lbs woyld be gone in 88 weeks at 1lb a week, its not long.
    Its up to you nobody else is going to do it for you.
  • Jessica9645
    Jessica9645 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, have a physical. Have yhe dr run a complete metabolic work up. You could be hypothyroid. Also, if you are stress eating, consult the dr on stress relieving activities. Im not a fan of medication but I know for some it can help.
  • ingridiak
    Options
    It would be nice to have friends in my situation to motivate each other. Unfortunately all my in real life friends are slim. All my online friendships died with time.

Maybe I'm not the best person to talk about celebrities, clothes and so on. I hover other interests.

I have quite good organization, I think. My youngest daughter does not need to stay longer in school. She attends after school activities, eats home made food. Just, it is hard to add new duties to my schedule. And believe me, that on evening I don't eat, mostly just take a shower and go sleep at 9 or 10 pm.

Will go to doctor, as I know I have to check myself, before start "big changes" in my life. But as far as I know I'm in good shape, just terribly fat.

Thank you.

If anyone would like to be a friend of mine, I would appreciate that.

• EmmaE1986
    EmmaE1986 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about there being no shortcuts. It's horrible to hear, but there really isn't anything you can do other than put the work in to lose the weight. It's hard, tiresome, painful and requires an unbelievable amount of stamina and determination. But it can happen, and it will happen if you want it to enough. I'm currently 4 months post pregnancy and I am too trying to shift a lot of pounds (20lbs to be exact) to get back to my pre pregnancy weight. Some days I just want to eat everything in sight because im stressed looking after a baby who's teeething and not sleeping! It's hard - I feel for you - but the best thing to do is keep trying, keep logging your food, keep exercising. And soon enough you'll start to see a shift. Once you start losing those first few pounds, it'll give you the motivation to keep going! You can do it!
  • 999tigger
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The other aspect is maybe you are an emotional eater, which is quite common which means you try and eat your feelings.

Maybe get friends on MFP (do a thread asking for friends on the introduce yourself section)or use soemthing like weight watchers which has a social aspect. Your situation isnt that bad and plenty of people on MFP have lost or have yet to lose more thna that. It just requires you to be prepared to make some changes and put some effort into that for a few years, but you cna lose all the weight, thats the message you need to welcome.

Write a lits of things to do and just do each one at a time. Break it down into small steps.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you are not motived, there's really nothing we can do to help you. Motivation comes from within. If you would like to share exactly what you are eating and any exercise you do we could offer some sound advice. There's no special diet or magic pill that will help you. This will require a lifestyle change with lots of hard work and dedication. I hope that you realize that YOU are worth the work that will be required. If you are ready to take charge of your own health, we are behind you 100%.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    being busy and not liking diets are things everyone deals with. Sweets aren't the bad guy, eating too many sweets and not moving is the problem. Maybe you haven't reached your tipping point yet, when you do, when you're really ready, you'll stop making excuses and you'll go after it. You have the time, it's there. We all have the same amount of hours in a day
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly I struggle with motivation a lot too. The key is consistency. I lost 17 pounds within 2 months a few months ago because I became really good at logging and exercised almost every day. I actually enjoyed it. When I started slacking I fell off completely. Start exercising even for 20 minutes. If you have cable there is stuff on on demand or you can use YouTube. Exercise can be a good break from the busyness of your life. Food can be done in steps. I do suggest starting to log ASAP though.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Do you have health insurance? Most plans offer 6x/year meet with a nutritionist. That, along with a check-up at the doc and blood work would be a good start. As others have said, motivation comes from within you -- no one else can give it to you, because in the end if you don't really want to do it, no rah rah's from other's will get you there.

Start logging, and at the end of every week review your log see what worked and didn't. Keep a diary or put in your Food Notes here how you feel. Watch your macros (too little/much bread?) and make changes over time.

You don't have to do it all RIGHT NOW. Baby steps, small changes, small consistent LIFESTYLE changes. This isn't a diet it's changing the way you live from this point forward.

Take the kids to the park and run around with them. Do lunges while vacuuming. Do squats while dusting. Take the stairs more often, get up 10 minutes earlier for some 'me' time and get in a walk around the block or yard.

Incorporate better food choices, start eating w/ a salad before your main meals. Eat your fruits and veggies.

I'm finding that after just a few weeks of cutting back on the breads - I'm not craving it as bad and my blood sugar levels are dropping.

Get your starting point now and build from there.

You CAN do this; you just have to want it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are over by 88 pounds is your motivation. What you are lacking is the determination. When you are ready to lose the weight... you will. So let us know when you're ready.
  • MosheLevi
    MosheLevi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ingridiak,

Do you like competition? Are you looking for someone to check in with? I am trying to lose 40lbs before my wedding in November. My goals are ambitious but I also struggle with staying motivated. Are you looking for someone to check in with or compete against? I know that this helps me.
  • ingridiak
    Options
    I think competitor would work. And yes, I have health insurance, it is obligatory in Germany. Just my German is not efficient to speak with nutritionist in this language...

As a first step will try to log everything. The real game would start next week, when school year started and I would plan stable schedule. There is a fitness club near my work, maybe I will use it...
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi Ingrid.... In all honesty, weight loss occurs in the kitchen while exercise improves our health, helps shape up our bodies, and can allow a few more calories to eat among other benefits. If you can't find extra time in your day for specific exercise right now, just focus on what you eat, weigh your food on a food scale and log every little thing that goes in your mouth. You can and will lose weight so long as you are eating at a calorie deficit. Make small changes if you have to at first. I lost half of my weight before I started adding in formal exercise. You can do this :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your motivation HAS to exist. You need to dig deep and find your strong-will. It's there, I promise! Getting started is the hardest part of the whole process but invest in yourself and you'll feel amazing for it. Good luck and remember MFP forum is a GREAT tool.