Shin-splints... can't go running!

Options
Hi Guys and Gals,

I started a weight-loss journey around a month a go.
Starting weight 22st 6lbs, lost a stone in 1 month, down to 21st 6lbs...
My routine is stretching, a 5km walk/run interval session on treadmill, then weights and resistance 3 or 4 times a week.

However... whilst running end of last week, my shins started to ache. It wasn't that painful so carried on through it. When I got off the machine, my legs were in agony. It has now been 5 days and have not been able to walk right, let alone run. I know the reason why it happened, a large frame suddenly putting stress on legs that just went "What the HELL are you doing?!!" and then collapsed.

I am getting someone to look if I am pronating whilst running and will be getting appropriate footwear, but as I do not want to stop exercising, my question (if there is even an answer) is:

What do I do instead of running or anything that would not put impact strain on my legs?

Any and all suggestions would be fantastic :-)

Regards,
Hj Dodzi

Replies

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints too, I gave up on running and replaced it with cycling :smile:
  • christinecoffeebean
    christinecoffeebean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If training at the gym, try rowing or the elliptical machine
  • linboelle
    linboelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the tendency to get shin splints as well. First off, to heal your shin splints, you really need to give it time. I suggest icing your shins every day and drinking plenty of water. Don't run anymore until they're better. For now, do lower impact cardio work outs like cycling or elliptical.

When your shins no longer hurt and you're ready to start running again, there are a couple of preventative measures to take. First, check your shoes. My shin splints were horrible when I was in the wrong shoes. You could have a very nice pair that cost a lot of money, but if they don't offer the right support for your feet, they're no good. Or if they're old then they may no longer support your feet correctly.

I suggest going to a store that specializes in athletic gear and shoes. Some places will actually analyze your feet and the way you walk/run. You will be spending a pretty penny for the right shoes but it's a great investment.

Second, everytime I'm done running I ice my shins even if they don't hurt.

I have taken these 2 steps and have not gotten shin splints in over a year. I hope this helps!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Also, stretch AFTER your workout, not before. Static stretching before exercise weakens your muscles and could cause injury. This is probably not the cause of your shin splints (I'm guessing shoes and/or running form) but it is something to keep in mind.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    (I'm guessing shoes and/or running form)

and/or doing too much at once