veggie meals- ideas pls!

Options
lahay99
lahay99 Posts: 17 Member
Can anyone help with some idea for veggie meals!
Ive been a veggie for 16 yrs but im getting really bored of having the same things now.Ive cut out alot of the pastry type foods (pies, pastys etc)) as they are really high cals but it makes it more limited and i dont really know what to do!
I tend to have a lot of veg and pasta or veg and rice or veg and cous cous or salad, or sald/veg wraps etc!! I also have quite a bit fruit aswell!

Ideas for some quick, cheap hearty dinners would be great!!

Replies

• sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Triple Pepper Fettucine

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/triple-pepper-fettuccine-56396.aspx

I also do veggies in tin foil in the oven or on grill
  • cescalet
    cescalet Posts: 6
    Options
    Penne Al A Vodka (Without the Vodka)
    1 14oz can Diced Tomatoes
    1 4oz container heavy whipping cream
    1/2 cup onions diced
    2 tbsp miced garlic
    olive oil (to coat the bottom of the pot)
    1lb Penne Pasta
    Fresh Basil (To Spice Not sure measurement I always eye ball)

Add oil to coat bottom of pot, add minced garlic, add onions (brown them) add Tomatoes Boil down 15 minutes, add heavy whipping cream and basil boil down 15 minutes and of course during this be boiling water for the noodles. top noodles with sauce and add moz cheese or parm. mmmm mmm good. :)
  • aisling111
    Options
    I'm veggie as well, and I tend to stick to a lot of the same things, but my favorite and simplest things is just eating squash, zucchini, or spinach sauteed with garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Plus eggs, boiled, scrambled anything!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    For a large selection, I would search online for healthy veggie meals.
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/vegetable/
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    1. Search online for veggie recipes, as a previous poster suggested
    2. Buy a few veggie and/or vegan cookbooks to get inspiration for new meal ideas
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We often have mexican bake. Saute lots of veggies (I use onions, mushrooms, spinach, squash) and then add cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and some pepper (all to taste). Put the veggies in a large bowl and add black beans, rotel green onions and black olives. Set aside.

To make the sauce, combine 1 cup milk (or sour cream), at least 1 cup of chopped cilantro (I usually use more as I like it extra zesty) and 1 16 oz jar of green tomatillo salsa. Mix well in a food processor.

Next step is like lasagna, but use tortillas (corn or flour) as the "noodles". I start with 2.5 tortillas on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan, layered by veggies, some fat-free cheese and some of the sauce. Repeat for another layer and top with a layer of tortillas. spoon the last of the sauce on top of the tortillas and bake covered at 350 for about 45 minutes. Add a thin layer of cheese and any leftover veggies and bake uncovered for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

It makes quite a few servings - we usually get at least 2-3 meals out of it.
  • cescalet
    cescalet Posts: 6
    Options
    Another one I love is Veggie Burritos

1 8oz can black beans
    1 8oz can diced tomatoes
    2 zucchinis
    1 red bell pepper
    Cumin Powder
    Olive Oil
    Onion diced as much as you like
    burrito shells
    1 bag shredded mexican cheese

chop up in small bite size pieces the zucchinis bell pepper and onion, coat bottom of pan with oil add onion zuchini and bell pepper until tender to soft as you are cooking add cumin powder to taste. add black beans and tomatoes cook down add more cumin powder. turn stove broiler on high. add filling to burrito shells top with shredded cheese and broil on high until cheese is melted. add lettuce sour cream and salsa and I always serve with a side of spanish rice. YUMMY.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of beans, tofu, spaghetti squash, nuts, and veggie based italian dishes such as zucchini lasagna (recipe from MFP "recipe" message boards) or spaghetti squash with tomatoes and cheese.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I was a veggie/vegan for years but found out that I needed to add protein to my diet so now I eat some lean meats. Any way, I loved to marinate & grill veggies like zucchini, squash, eggplant, portobello mushroom caps, radicchio....on & on. I use a little olive oil & spices along with fresh herbs & fresh lemon juice to marinate. Then I bake a sweet potato & dinner is done. Or you can grill or pan sear the veggies & then make your own veggie sandwich. Add some lettuce & tomato on a sandwich thin or in a pita topped with sprouts. I do a lot of stir fry veggies still too. I also love eating middle eastern food like hummus, tabbouleh salad, olives, stuffed grape leaves, tomato & cucumber salad. I hope this helps!
  • azucenatamez
    Options
    Maybe you have already had this before, but I rediscovered it recently and I looove it!
    I dont know if you eat cheese or not, but hope this helps!

****ake mushroom quesadillas, with pico de gallo and green tomato sauce,... I am not a vegetarian and to me, this is as good as a stake!

Buy some poblano peppers, grill them (so you can peel the thin skin around them), cut them in strips after peeled, and cook them in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil with mozzarella cheese, corn and mexican cream (if you dont have it, just add milk and al ittle bit of creamcheese) and spice it as you want, you can even add mushrooms if you want! we eat this in tacos as well (what a surprise!) but hey, one corn tortilla is only 50 cal

Mushrooms are one of my favorite things in life, cut them and cook them until they are reduced, with onions and garlic and add some of that maggie seasoning to it, then add spinach mmmm that is great to eat in tostadas or tacos!! mmm (if you ask me, I always add corn, cheese, chile and a hot salsa haha but that's just me!!)

Also, you can make tostadas (from the corn tortillas, heat them in low until they are firm or in the microwave for about 1.5min and wait for a few seconds for the wter to evaporate) and eat them with beans, lettuce, pico de gallo and salsa.

Do you eat eggs? what about omelets for breakfast? with the egg whites, bell peppers, cheese, tomato, onion, mmmm I am getting hungry! I try not to cut out so much what I eat but to reduce my portions, because I have come to the realization that I LOVE FOOD, and want to eat it and enjoy it, so I do it, every day I choose something to enjoy in small quantities.

Try the mexican food, we have plenty of vegetarian dishes, those are just my favorites but there are so many other options!
    Good luck!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    What a great time to be a vegetable!!!! It's nearly Summer and soon we'll have tomatoes and corn around every corner... at least around where I live.

If you own a grill you might consider marinating raw veggies IDEAS: asparagus, summer squash, mushrooms, etc.

Do something you wouldn't normally do.... IDEA: do like the chef's do on TV and add grill marks to your lettuce and make ceasar salad.

Kid friendly recipes: baked spaghetti squash with a light alfredo sauce or salsa, sweet potato soup (the right seasonings balance the sweet from the potato), homemade french onion soup with cheese and croutons

I personally eat Gardein products (frozen food section). My kids really like the chicken nuggets (which are all vegetable/no meat) and they make a variety of other all-vegetable products
  • tootsieanne
    tootsieanne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sooo many choices! i love being a vegetarian! some quick favorites of mine are...

steamed broccoli and cherry tomatoes topped with garlic and lime juice as side
    morning star blackbean burger on multigrain sandwich thins with half avocado spinach and cherry tomatoes

YUM!

veggie kabobs on the grill with any veggie sprinkled with garlic powder and cilantro with a grill sweet potatoe

so summer!

dessert is strawberry halves sprinkled with truvia packettes
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
  • pariskelly
    pariskelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My whole family is vegetarian, and I blog about what I cook for us. Check it out!

http://peppertree.wordpress.com/
  • beccaboo1021
    Options
    Couscous Confetti:
    1 box of Curry Couscous (made according to box)
    1/2 bag of Cole Slaw
    4-6 chopped green onions (to taste)
    1 cup of dried cranberries or raisins

Once the couscous cools, mix everything together.
  • BrandyH20
    BrandyH20 Posts: 63
    Options
    save for later