Super Thirsty

Options
So lately I have been super thirsty. I have been drinking anywhere between 5 - 7 litres of water a day, and still feeling thirsty! Today, for example, I have had 6 one litre bottles of water but my throat and mouth are dry like I haven't had any water at all. I wake up in the middle of the night and skull litres of water. I dream about being lost in the desert and dying of thirst, and wake up feeling completely dehydrated. I'm thinking this is not normal! I've always been a big water drinker, but I know that it is possible to flood your brainstem if you drink too much too quickly so I am a little concerned about that. Also I have to pee every five seconds. Lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions about why this might be happening, and what I can do about it?

I know sodium makes you thirsy, but I'm never over my sodium goal and usually have between 800 - 1200mg a day. Sometimes (like today) I am over that, but still well under the 2500mg set by MFP (today I'm at 1700). I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables so I get water that way too, but I don't drink anything else other than the very occasional glass of milk and a few cups of herbal tea a week. I don't know whether or not this is related but I've also been getting this sharp pain above my eyes, not a headache because it's not constant but just like a flash of pain like I have been stabbed for a second or two then it goes away. Please help... I'm a teacher so I can only go to the bathroom at recess and lunch, so I spend all day busting!! (Lol, sorry for the TMI!)

Edit: I should also point out it is Winter here, not Summer, so it's not the weather!

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should see your doctor. Excessive thirst and urination could be a sign of diabetes.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not to be alarmist, but if it were me I would see a doctor. Besides classic diabetes mellitus with which most people are familiar, there are other forms of diabetes that do not involve abnormal blood sugar or insulin (e.g. diabetes insipidus). Assuming that (1) this has been going on for a week or more, (2) you really are drinking a lot of water, and (3) you are not consuming any diuretics (e.g. alcohol, diet pills), this could be a problem. I am not a doctor but I teach human anatomy & physiology to nursing students and what you are describing may be nothing but could be serious.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I noticed your goal weight of 97lbs is why Im asking.

Like the poster above said, excessive thirst and urination are signs of diabetes.

But there are other factors.

Has the temperature increased dramatically where you live recently?
    Have you started a new medication of any other health problems?
    Are you taking a new vitamin? (some of the fillers used in vitamins add to thirst)
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree, extreme thirst is a sign of Diabetes, I would make an appointment with your Dr. Good Luck!:smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. As everyone has said, this can be a sign of diabetes. If that is the cause it is better to treat it now than let it cause damage, and if it isn't being tested for it can set your mind at ease.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Well I just looked at the Diabetes Australia website and I don't have any other symptoms... So I think I'm fine... I hope... Does anyone have another theory? Thank you to those who have answered so far :)

There is no rule that says that you have to have more than one symptom for it to be plausible that you might have diabetes. If you have one symptom, that is certainly enough, and you may be in the early stages.

Unless there are some doctors on here that can diagnose over the internet your best bet is seeing your doctor.

My guess would be that you are dehydrated... yes the winter can dehydrate you especially if you life where it is not a humid winter.
    Diabetes is another guess
    and just plain thirst is another fact.

If you want a real answer I would go to your doctor tho.
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    Sometimes when I drink more water than I need, it seems like it almost dehydrates me. I know that sounds weird but it really does seem to be the case. Maybe try cutting back to about 64 oz. per day? I don't know. Also, did you start a new med that is giving you dry mouth? I have heard that putting a little lemon in your water can stimulate saliva production and make you feel less thirsty. I would see your doctor though to rule out the diabetes. Good luck!
  • itsdi
    itsdi Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi -did you ever figure anything out? i too have increased my water intake ( therefore have the increased trips to the bathroom ) and it seems i am thirstier than ever! i thought maybe i was mildly dehydrated as most Americans are - but it has been a week and i am still so thirsty! i was tested for diabetes - and had a variety of blood tests done during my annual checkup so nothing there - i pee a couple times a night but still wake up thirsty!