Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chia and Flax seed help

How many servings a day? Are they worth the calories? Do they really help you feel full? So far I've used 1 TB of each in my am smoothies, but I see people sprinkle the Chia seeds on everything... confused

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    How many servings a day? I didn't know it was a mandatory requirement to have them?

• Marinemomm
    Marinemomm Posts: 64 Member
    I don't believe it is mandatory?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I add about a tablespoon in my oatmeal (old fashioned).. it's not that many calories but I think it gives you a few grams of fiber. I don't taste it and don't notice any difference in my hunger level. There's a million recipes for the 'pudding', but that's not my thing. I never know what else to do with them. I did read recently that they need to be hydrated before eating. I think someone ate a spoonful dry, then chased it with water and choked.
  • Marinemomm
    Lol... I hear so many different things... thank you for your input! I know someone who sprinkles the Chia on pizza, yogurt etc.. the whole day because it expands in your stoach, but then I gear hydrate it first.. lol guess it's a choice no clue. Was trying to get ideas of what others do.:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't see any reason to include them -- I am generally against adding ingredients (especially with calories) that don't have a taste benefit, and I get enough fiber anyway. I'm skeptical of this "they keep you full" thing -- better to just learn to eat in a way that keeps you satisfied, IMO.

I suppose I'd try a chia pudding (well, if I could get over singing "ch-ch-ch-chia" every time I think of them).

But I expect there's nothing wrong with them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I don't think they help a whole lot with fullness because both are fairly high calorie so you'd have to eat a lot to make much difference, and then you'd have to cut back on other food. I think they are good for adding a bit of fiber and fat to a diet, but for fullness I look to fiber from less fatty sources.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Chia seeds are very high in soluble fiber. The aztecs would take a handful when on a long run for sustained energy. I keep that in mind when I eat these seeds. I like to soak them in milk first so that my stomach doesn't have to suck all the fluid out of my gut to feed the Chia. Your friend is sprinkling extra calories on every meal.

Flax I find is a great source of Omega 3. It also helps keep you regular. I keep flax oil in my refrigerator and I use it to make my salad dressings sometimes. It also goes in to my protein pancakes.

Both Chia (pre-soaked) and flax will help you be regular.

No reason you need to get all your fiber from Chia, or all your oil from flax. There are many, many foods that do the same thing.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I add them, plus many other things, to my smoothie. Takes me an hour, once a month, to measure everything. Not sure how much nutrition I get from it all .... as I use these things up, I don't think I'll be replacing them.
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    I put a teaspoon of chia seeds in greek yogurt along with blueberries or strawberries. I don't really like the texture of yogurt...greek is better than regular to me because it is thicker...adding a small amount of chia seeds gives it a little crunch which along with fruit makes it more pleasing to me :) I don't know how much the chia seeds really help me feel fuller...I usually still have a snack mid-morning if I have time to eat something.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    My understanding of flax was that if it wasn't ground, it wasn't absorbed by the body. I could be wrong. I don't find flax at all tempting. I tried chia pudding since it looked yummy. It wasn't. lol. Also, I'm pretty sure it wasn't 100% digestible either. sorry for the TMI.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Chia seeds should always be soaked until completely saturated before eating them! If not, they don't have enough time to expand in your stomach anyways and become pointless - and/or dehydrate you. I gave up on both chia and flax because they are high calorie. I would rather have an extra egg in morning.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Chia seeds are packed with nutrients. They also swell and make a gel when hydrated. Thus they fill you up.Do not try to swallow them dry they mix with salivia and can make you choke, very uncomfortable feeling. Do mix the in smoothies or spinkle on cereal start wit a scant tsp dry or up to 2tbsp hyrdated.More is NOT better
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I put a tablespoon in my oatmeal I guess because its healthy but now that I think about it I have no idea if it is. Sounds natural and whole so I guess I'll keep doing it along with my strawberries, blueberries, banana and walnuts
  • Marinemomm
    Thank you everyone!!!!
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    I started using chia just mixed with water and left overnight. Next I would add more water (so it wasn't completely gelatinous) along with a bunch of lime or lemon juice. Makes water more like a meal. I also use them in smoothies sometimes, and I make the pudding every few months. I primarily consume them for omegas and other nutrients.