Anybody try Contrave?

Options
i am considering trying this medication as I've been on both generic meds before. It's supposed to help with cravings and make food less rewarding. I binge eat and overeat so it seems it might be helpful. Any feedback about experience is appreciated.

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you binge eat, that's typically considered an eating disorder. Make an appointment with your doctor.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If you binge eat on food often, you should really see a psychiatrist or a doctor instead of trying to play around with different medications.

• melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Contrave is prescription only, so it's sort of a given that they'd have to go to the Doc to get it. They recently prescribed this for my mom, so I'm interested as well in seeing if anyone else has any experience with it.
  • kissmyasscamille
    kissmyasscamille Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Melodicraven! I wish your mom the best of luck.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested Contrave to me at my last appointment a couple of weeks ago. I was interested until I read about all the potential side effects and that the average weight loss is only 5.4% of body weight. She did stress to me that it's a short term 3 month prescription that helps a person gain control of the food that they eat by masking the part of our brain that seeks reward in food and or other addictions.

She also told me that for many people, it's just the boost they need to commit to losing weight healthily.

For myself, I decided to try losing weight on my own by logging my food intake and exercising more before I try Contrave. Best of luck with your decision and progress.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater and I can honestly say that the majority of the time it is not triggered because I'm
    hungry, it's an emotional coping mechanism. So I don't really understand how suppressing the appetite reduces the likelihood of binges.

Logging everything I eat has been my biggest tool in controlling my binges because I just don't want to look at the numbers. That and the light switch moment most of us when we decide it's finally time to take control once and for all. Ain't no tablet for that.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you binge eat on food often, you should really see a psychiatrist or a doctor instead of trying to play around with different medications.

This is a combination medication of 2 different psych meds...actually antidepressants. Actually Intended for food addiction related problems. Can be prescribed my MD or Psychiatrist alike.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

This is a combination medication of 2 different psych meds...actually antidepressants. Actually Intended for food addiction related problems. Can be prescribed my MD or Psychiatrist alike.

Stop reviving death threads lol, look at the date of the last post before you.

Im out.