exercise calories how it works ...

Options
Hi, Just wondered, have gained 210 calories through exercise. Do I have to use in 1 day?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You can use them whenever you'd like, but don't use all of them - exercise calories are notoriously inflated. If you eat back all of them, you risk eating too much to remain in a deficit. Most people only eat back @50-70% of calories earned through exercise.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them back if you don't want to, and many people eat only some back (usually 50-80%) to account for the fact that many ways of estimating exercise calories tend to overestimate them.

You can carry calories over to the next day if you want (you just have to do it mentally though, you can't do it through the website/app).
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The best way to calibrate calories to use a heart rate monitor during the exercise and coordinate it with your MFP count. I ride 2 ways into work and half my ride is downhill but MFP says I burn more calories on the way in than I burn on the way home back up that huge hill because the average speed is higher in the morning than it is at night. I know for a fact that I am not burning that huge on the way in because 50% of my ride is sitting and coasting. However I know that I am burning a ton on the way home because for the remaining miles up the hills my heart is beating out of my chest.

Caloric burn for exercise is really a crap shoot, MPF just uses duration, your self described activity level and your weight to calculate the caloric burn. I have found it is really close with high aerobic activities (running, cross country skiing, cycling) and really not accurate for less aerobic activities (walking, weights and hiking).

I would temper whatever your exercise calories are through how intense you feel you worked out and as the others have said don't be tempted to eat them all back.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The best way to calibrate calories is via the scale, over time.
  • anjixox
    anjixox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    thank you all for advice, just started using the app along with a Fitbit so just getting my bearings . Much appreciated ☺
  • anjixox
    Options
    should say have used this before but a while back went way off track and wasnt sure how to use it so trying it out again.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    anjixox wrote: »
    just started using the app along with a Fitbit so just getting my bearings.

I've used MFP + Fitbit for two years. I eat back 100% of my Fitbit adjustments, lost the weight, and kept it off. But I also:
    • enabled negative calorie adjustments in my diary settings: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
    • log exercise in Fitbit—never MFP, and
    • log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • anjixox
    Options
    thanks for that editor I'll see how I go over next few weeks ☺