to everyone who has family & friends who like to drink

Options
2»

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm from WI. Just saying no is the fastest and easiest way to go. They'll get used to it, and you don't owe them an explanation. I don't drink. Period. You have, but it's your right to quit. If you feel the need to explain, just say, "I quit drinking so I can be healthy and legal."

They get used to it and they quit asking. When someone is stubborn or argues, ask them if they would like for you to argue over their choice every time! Anyone worth talking to will understand that, and the rest.......are not worth talking to!
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking about 5 years ago and don't find it a problem any more. I usually just ask for water if people have it. After a while, people just get used to the fact that you are a water drinker - besides - it's easy for them to provide and cheaper than booze.
    I don't believe in "pretending" to drink (or eat) to not hurt people's feelings. I just let people know the truth if they inquire - "no I don't drink". I figure people would rather hear it straight rather than you try and trick them into something that is not true.

Oh and *good for you* for not wanting so much booze. It really causes a *lot* of health issues by overdoing it.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Take the drink and carry it around and don't drink it :drinker:

My husband's friends really like to drink, and he does this. In fact, he'll carry the same beer bottle in a coozie for hours, and be drinking, but he's been refilling the bottle with water. He looks like he's drinking but he's just drinking water.

Hahahaha this is what I have been doing. It gets annoying when my friends keep me asking me "Why aren't you drinking?" or "drink with me!". I started filling my beer bottle with water and no one ever knows.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options

My husband's friends really like to drink, and he does this. In fact, he'll carry the same beer bottle in a coozie for hours, and be drinking, but he's been refilling the bottle with water. He looks like he's drinking but he's just drinking water.

Hahahaha this is what I have been doing. It gets annoying when my friends keep me asking me "Why aren't you drinking?" or "drink with me!". I started filling my beer bottle with water and no one ever knows.

I just LOVE this "fake drinking" strategy and I cannot wait to try it! Do you think anyone would know its water if it was in an amber bottle, like Michelob? Also - do you fake drinkers start with the real stuff and have any at all, or just go straight to water and fake drink? It sounds so naughty and sneaky! :devil:
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just graduated college and had this same issue this past semester. What I started doing was getting myself a diet coke or club soda in a cocktail glass with a lime. I love coke and lime AND no one questions it because it looked like a cocktail drink (and the bartender usually just gives it to you, so you're saving money too). I also would volunteer to be the DD a lot. At least that way my friends had a safe way to get home and I didn't have to drink.

Good luck and I hope something works for you!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

I just LOVE this "fake drinking" strategy and I cannot wait to try it! Do you think anyone would know its water if it was in an amber bottle, like Michelob? Also - do you fake drinkers start with the real stuff and have any at all, or just go straight to water and fake drink? It sounds so naughty and sneaky! :devil:

My hubs isn't an alcoholic, so one drink doesn't trigger a binge. He'll drink the original beer, and then follow it with 4 or 5 waters from an amber Newcastle bottle. Nobody has EVER noticed. In fact, there was one day when we were getting ready to leave, and I said, "You've been drinking all day. I'll drive." He said, "Nope. I've been drinking waters all day." He fooled even ME!
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I drink Seltzer and Vodka with lime, only 50 cals a drink.. I mean you don't want to deprive yourself if that's what you like to do because that sets yourself up for a binge.. I'd research the calories in different beers just so you can be knowledgeable about what's a good choice at the time. Also, you could drink slower and make the drink last longer!
  • Aimee530
    Aimee530 Posts: 1
    Options
    Soda and lime is my fake drink of choice. I used the excuse of not wanting to get sick in college. Just say you're trying to kick some bug you've had and don't want to do anything to harm your immune system. Most if not all college drinkers can relate to that!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    just smoke mad b's but dont get the munchies girrrrrrl

Truth
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Just be true to yourself girl! If you don't want one, don't! I'm in the same boat- I can't handle my alcohol well anyways so I'm good with not drinking. So what if everyone else does. Let 'em lush it up! They aren't good for you anyways. Just remember you are taking care of the one and only body you get.:flowerforyou:
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options

LMAO love this idea!!
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options
    I like a lot of the ideas posted here :)

As someone who does enjoy drinking, I can try to give you a different perspective. When people ask you to drink, they're only doing it because they want you to be enjoying an activity with them. A lot of the responses non-drinkers come up with sound either lame or like they might be judging you. In the first case, you can tell they're lying, and it can reflect poorly on your character.

The second kind of response is worse. "Oh, I don't drink because I'm trying to be healthy." While true and often well-intended, the result is that you're basically calling the drinker unhealthy. Maybe they are, but in any event they aren't going to like you if you feel like they're judging you.

If you don't want to do the fake drinking thing, which I've definitely done before at parties after I knew I'd had enough, just say no. It's really that simple. No thanks, I'm fine, or the all time best is "Oh, no, not today." I like the last one, because it's not turning them down forever, nor is it putting yourself up on a pedestal for not drinking. No one feels like drinking all of the time, so everyone can relate to that. If you want to avoid further questioning, compliment their hair or ask them about their kids.

"Do you want a drink?" "Oh no, not right now. Say, that's a lovely shirt you're wearing!" "Oh, thanks! It was a gift from my mom." And the conversation is magically no longer about you being the odd one out. Later, you can put a lime in your soda water and pretend to be one of the club, if you'd like.